Notices

day after day

Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day after day

It's crazy how one day I feel great and the next is like concrete weighing me down. I'm fighting sleep tonight and feeling depressed....I guess this is part of the battle that makes you relapse.....I'm ok though I'm gonna close my eyes.....when possible and pray. Lord please get me to the morning....
Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think no matter what your drug of choice, it takes time for our mind and body to get back in order csheets...we abused both for a long time, right?

It would be easier too if recovery was a linear process but it never seems to work that way.

Something I read today about recovery from illness works pretty well here too -

recovery is an active ongoing and individual process...it entails growth, plateaus, setbacks, and sometimes side tracks...recovery is the process of finding meaning in our experience.

That last part was certainly true for me - I came to realise change is not an event, it's a process.

Sorry for going all philosophical on you but that's been percolating in my head all day lol

Stay the course, stay focused, stay clean, and things can't help but get better, csheets

D
Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi CS

Like i have said elsewhere in the forums, when we start to get sober we sometimes expect that life will somehow magically get easier but quite often it doesn't. What's important is that we can now deal with these situations with a clear head.

Keep praying and keep hanging out here. You are doing well and it will get easier. One day at a time.

:ghug3
Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there CS. Early sobriety is a bit confusing and I also had quite a few moments of utopia and then bouts of negativity.

I assure you that as you further along that your days will get better and better and you will find balance and will get a better grip on the emotions piece.

Also, keep in mind that checking in with your Dr. periodically is a good thing. Just to make sure things are in check.

My challenge has been feeling emotions. Knowing that is ok to feel sad or down or happy, etc. Sometimes I jump the gun and confuse them with anxiety and depression. All it is for me is readjusting to sober healthy living.

It does get better so please take it easy and know that it will pass.

Last edited by Kmber2010; 10-23-2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typos - no surprise there...
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It does get better, it just takes some time to 'even out' physically and mentally. Be good to yourself, get enough rest and good food and exercise. It WILL get better.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey csheets31,

I call it the bounce. It is the case that early on the bad days can still creep in just when you think there's been a turn-around. Praying for the strength to get by from moment to moment is the best way to ease through it.

I often think to myself, "if I'm praying, taking the next right step and all this why do I still feel bad?" Way I've come to look at it is sometimes we can only bring ourselves up so far, but we can't be sure how much worse we might be feeling had we not tried at all. So keep doing what you're doing.

Eventually, you get into more long-term sobriety and you come to realize that there are still good days and bad days too. I think once you've had a lot of sobriety you're just more accustomed to deal with them both.

I know when I was drinking every day was just a fog. Whether the day was good or bad I couldn't feel it either way, I was too clouded by drink.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I needed this thread today. Thanks for being here you guys! XOXO
Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wanna thank you all for the comments...was a rough night...yes getting this out my mind will be the tough. It amazes me how much it helps to read your words. Thanks again and yes um toughing it out.