Notices

A Trip to the store for goods,need to be on guard,

Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Trip to the store for goods,need to be on guard,

Hi all, yes was no more than a nip round the store to pick up some fruit juice, for the house, and there on the next counter peering down, big shelve full of my previous favourate mind altering tipple,Aussie cab sauv,on special price offer, ...stirring at me seductively..waiting expectantly for me to pick up take home and consume..for a few moments, some rather uncomfortable compulsive thoughts and feelings swamp me... i re,adjust and remind myself quickly and surely,why and how i have to pull out all the stops and stay strong..i pay up the goods i bought, and beat a hasty retreat home,
the strongest triggers ive had since my new 10/10/10 re,start, i know i can expect more at the most unexpected,excitable,below parr moments, rode the beast and came through to tell the tale...just thought id share, regards all.
happy sober days.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Kerbcrawler View Post
peering down, big shelve full of my previous favourate mind altering tipple,Aussie cab sauv,on special price offer, ...stirring at me seductively..waiting expectantly for me to pick up take home and consume.. .

That cab is 11.5% poison. You seem to be romanticizing poison. How badly do you want to quit?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes its a serious matter..badly beleive me..though its a fine line between being deadly serious, and uptight, and having a sense of humour, i use both methods ,and its actually 13%
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

:rotfxko:rotfxko:rotfxko

Glad you didn't go home with that slutty Cab:-)
Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

no my tastes are now for the more refined non contaminated/fermented,alcohol free pure fruit juices
thanks...gone a lil more upmarket..:rotfxko
Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No more rotten, moldy fruit for you!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
No more rotten, moldy fruit for you!
Rotten fruit... how true!

On the topic of stores, I remember picking up a bottle of brandy somewhere near Day 60 last year. I paced the isles walking round and round again. I went to the tills, somehow stopped, turned and finally placed it back on the shelf.

I was followed from the shop by 3 security guards trying to figure out what in their minds I must have stolen... Madness indeed but I survived another day.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I feel so blessed to no longer even be tempted by the damn stuff. What a relief to go past the wine aisle and not even think about it.

Stay determined. The feelings will not always be so strong and can even go away entirely.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kerbcrawler,

You're doing great!

I used to avoid the wine/beer aisle in the grocery store just because I didn't want to be face to face with a bottle of wine. But, it gets easier.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One of my excuses when I lived in Virginia was that it was impossible to get sober when even the darn gas stations carried beer....its so much better living in a state with tough blue laws. Not that it stopped me when I wasdrinking...but the first few weeks of sobriety it was such a blessing to get to 9:00 and know I was safe for one more day.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

One thing that helped me before that might be of use. I would decide before I got in the store that when I got toward the alcoholic beverage aisles I would--in my head, not aloud--taunt the section jokingly.

"Not this time you green-bottled @#$%!s!"
"You were better off as grapes!"
"Sauvignon? More like sauvi-NO!"
Or whatever you like...

Just quickly as you're going by. I wouldn't linger and do it, that's just asking for a fight.

It helped me kind of diffuse the situation. Let me laugh and my habit. It's easier to pass those aisles too if you're mood is good.