Notices

For all you 20-something year olds...

Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For all you 20-something year olds...

I just want to say that I am so gratified to read posts from young adults like yourselves that recognize a problem and come here to learn more about addiction and alcoholism, and the solutions for stopping the madness.

I wish I had had your foresight and wisdom when I was your age. I haven't even really "suffered" because of my drinking but I was really just damn lucky. I wish I had stopped long, long ago.

Please continue to take these issues seriously and if you don't stop now, please keep it at the top of your list of goals and STAY REAL about your drinking/drugging. Get educated now and don't live your lives with your head in the sand like so many of us did. You have a wonderful future ahead of you if you can stop drinking now. If not, your chances of experiencing success and happiness may be greatly reduced.

Trust me, drinking is just not all that great....it solves NO problems and has the major potential for destroying your world and creating havoc for all those who love you. Really... is it worth it?? Hell no!!!! Not even a little bit.

Keep coming back.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, from a 23 year old!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm 27. I know plenty of people that have these probs in their 20's. Plenty. Some don't even know it.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am NOT a 20 something year old, but i have to agree with your post 100%! I get so much encouragement, hope, strength and inspiration from the 20 somethings who are trying NOW to help themselves.

I wish I had realized the issues I had with alcohol at that age. never had trouble then, either. But live would have been different, and I would not be dealing with what I am now.

Keep working it all you young people!!!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks tjp

I'll add my gratitude and appreciation too.

Meeting people in their 20s who live happily sober showed me it was possible.

Without that hope, recovery would have been a far darker place.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. I got sober at 23 and I'm 24 now. It really helped me reading posts like yours when I was going through all of the inevitable mind battles about living sober and clean at 23. I was shown such great support both at AA and SR. This support really helped me and it is humbling to see the genuine honesty and totally unselfish way in which people much older than myself were able to pass their wisdom on to me and encourage me to stick with it.

Thanks again and posts like yours helped me so, so much particularly in the early months of my recovery journey. I always said that there will never be a 'right' time to get sober as that's the nature of the beast. You just gotta seize that window of oppurtunity when it shows its hand.

I am just grateful for having reached my rock bottom at 23. I couldn't really go down much lower realisitically and still be a free citizen and knew without doubt that I'm an alcoholic and addict.

Peace and love
Old 10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for this Neo. I'm only just in to my 30s myself so it resonates. The last decade should have been my time to shine. Instead I squandered every amazing opportunity, many of which I will never be able to revisit.

There's a poll over on Slashdot on 'What would you do if you had one free trip in a time machine?'. Of all the options, I chose 'Set right what once went wrong...' If only...
Old 10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post. I consider myself lucky for getting sober in my 20's. I sobered up at 28 and am now almost 30. If we can figure it out now, we can miss out on all the crap that can happen by continuing our addictions.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks from a 59 yr old.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I'm 20 and often think i'm too young for recovery, too young to be taken seriously and to young to decide to spend the entire rest of my life sober
I'm not too young, and this reminded me of that.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

tjp, right on!

48 years of abuse nearly killed me,

to the young ones,

i though i was invincible,

how incorrect was i

58 now, and loving ever sober day and moment!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you TJP. I first starting coming to this website and AA when I was 22. Today I am 27 and although I haven't been sober this whole time, it helps to read posts like this to keep me sober. I thank my HP for allowing me to see my alcoholism at such a young age to work on to have a sober and happy life.

Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Many thanks from a 28 year old. I have drank most of my twenties down the toliet and this makes me feel very sad. But, no point in looking back I cannot change it. What I can do Is make sure my 30's are amazing. And enjoy the last 2 years of my 20s' I turned 28 on 01.10.2010. My sobriety date is 20.09.2010. 32 days and counting. Thanks again.