Notices

How long did it take for your brain to return to normal?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is such a great thread. In addition to alcohol, I weaned off of klonopin recently, so there's a double-whammy for me.

In the beginning, I had incredible fatigue, very little motivation, bouts of irritability, and difficulty concentrating. I noticed that there was a major change after two months: making decisions/logical thinking became easier, drastically improved memory/concentration, and more energy.

That said, it was incredibly hard to sit back and allow the process. At about a month or so along was actually the worst mentally as I became frustrated and, frankly, scared that I'd never "get better."

A trip to my doctor allayed a lot of the fears. Eating well and *regularly* is really important.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, I love hearing about other people's time frames because it gives me hope that I haven't destroyed my brain for good!

I was worrying that I would not return to the way I was, but it seems as if these fears are unfounded.

I have come off Lexapro (an SSRI) myself, and that was also a hard trot. Brain zaps, brain weirdness, sleepiness... Coming off alcohol (in my experience) is actually not quite so bad as coming off anti-depressants...

Both are intrusive... but it seems as though both have just to be "waited out"
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I definitely felt better in the first weeks and continuing months. At 6 months I still am working it and everyday gets a bit better. I don't know if I will ever feel the same way as I did before I started drinking but what I am now is a person who been down the dark road and I am far better person.

Take it easy and know that it does take some time.

Keep it going!