Notices

Really frustrated!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really frustrated!

I attempted to go to an 8pm meeting and no one was there. I'm 100% positive I was at the right place because the only other meeting I've ever been to was at the same location. I got the info off the net, but called intergroup when no one was there and they didn't know what was up. I'm feeling discouraged. This was the only night of the week I could go without my kids.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sucks!!

I am really sorry, that would be frustrating.

Stick around here, post and chat, and maybe we can offer some of the support you needed from them this evening.

Congrats to you for making the choice not to drink and for trying to follow through with your recovery plan and hitting a meeting

Big Hugs!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'd be disappointed too You did the correct thing by calling Intergroup.

If your children are in school....maybe a lunch time meeting
or morning is possible for you?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep trying. I remember going to one of my first meetings and realized it was a young person's meeting. I didn't stay, I'm over 50.

Then I went to a meeting the next night at a different location. I saw 10 - 15 people going into the meeting. All were women. I'm a man. "What are the odd's of that happening" I thought. Sure enough, it was a women's only meeting. At least SR was available that night.

Keep going to different meetings, you will find some that fit.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I just left the chat room and I'm feeling a little calmer. I don't know why it was so upsetting for me. I'm not normally like that about things. Maybe I'll reward myself for not drinking with some taco bell.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Well

1. You tried.

2. You made it home with no booze.

3. "My name is (not really) Isaiah, does anyone have a sobriety threatening issue, a step their working on, or a topic they would like to pose to the group?"
Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Try to go to enough meetings, and there are bound to be changes that haven't made their way into the meeting list or to Intergroup.

Sorry you were disappointed--I would have been, too! FWIW, ANY AA group--men's, women's, gay, young people's--ought to welcome anyone who needs a meeting. That is, if they are a group that follows the Traditions.

I suggest you call Intergroup tomorrow and see if maybe there are some meetings at a time you can attend that may not be listed online. Or maybe they can find out what happened to the meeting you planned to attend. One of my groups lost its meeting space when the Church closed the building, and we had to move.

Don't let it deter you--keep trying. You WILL find a solution.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to me! I felt frustrated and disappointed also, this would have been my first meeting. I had already been talking to myself about it ,since I'm pretty uncomfortable in new situations and I was going to tackle that fear. I ran before and was looking forward to it, I show up and nothing but an isolated parking lot and I'm thinking hmm? I received the list from my counselor at the behavioral place I go to .I thought well she should definitely know what she's talking about yet she might not have had updated information. There's a meeting tomorrow(I hope!) that I'm going to check out.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Aurora... I'll say some prayers for ya and I'm sure another meeting or another night or SOMEthing will open up for you. My actual experience, first hand, is that something always does if I'm willing to seek and accept - even if it's not what I necessarily want or think "it" should be.

I've come to see what look like roadblocks to sobriety as opportunities to prove my resolve. Now don't get me wrong, at the exact time they're happening, I don't always think that way. I've gotten better at seeing them as positives more quickly than I used to but it's taken a lot of practice along with a LOT of stumbles into persistent negativity along the way.

You're trying... that's a really good start. Keep your chin up, try to keep your faith up, and it'll come.

God doesn't make hard terms for those who seek Him. <--that's my actual experience too.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Aurora... I'll say some prayers for ya and I'm sure another meeting or another night or SOMEthing will open up for you. My actual experience, first hand, is that something always does if I'm willing to seek and accept - even if it's not what I necessarily want or think "it" should be.

I've come to see what look like roadblocks to sobriety as opportunities to prove my resolve. Now don't get me wrong, at the exact time they're happening, I don't always think that way. I've gotten better at seeing them as positives more quickly than I used to but it's taken a lot of practice along with a LOT of stumbles into persistent negativity along the way.

You're trying... that's a really good start. Keep your chin up, try to keep your faith up, and it'll come.

God doesn't make hard terms for those who seek Him. <--that's my actual experience too.
Your prayers are both appreciated and needed. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh that sucks! Do you get points for going anyway;-p

Thoughts and prayers for you from me.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

I've attempted to go to a scheduled meeting and found no-one there. Thank goodness it wasn't my first meeting, as I don't know how much courage it would have taken for me to try again -- it took a few days just for me to get up the fortitude to go to the first one.

I completely understand your frustration, and I hope it doesn't keep you from trying again! Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a really good idea to call the intergroup number, too; I didn't think about doing that -- although I did mention it later to some people who regularly attended the meeting that I tried to go to. (They were quite surprised, although there were some AA special events being held that day that perhaps everyone else wound up going to.)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Same story with me, though I've got a slightly different perspective on it.

The first few meetings I tried to go to weren't there either. I lived in Richmond, VA and I would show up to the correct address, but there would be no meeting there, just an empty building. This happened 2 or 3 times in a row.

Then one day, I did what I normally do to get all my information. I googled it and found an entire AA webpage for my area with up-to-date information.

Now, why didn't I do that to begin with?