Notices

advice of a social worker ("AA doesn't work for everyone")

Old 10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

advice of a social worker ("AA doesn't work for everyone")

A social worker I know told me, a few months ago, that "AA doesn't work for EVERYONE".

That worries me greatly - why WOULDN'T it?

Any comments you all can give me, would be greatly appreciated.

My sister is in the AA program, and it CERTAINLY helps her.

Thanks again,

KellySad
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, there is no 'one size fits all'.

If you look around SR, you will see people using a variety of programs. The only thing that matters is that we stay sober and recover.

AA works well for many people and I'm glad your sister is doing well.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA, like any program, does not work for everyone. For some people, they just don't resonate with it, and that's OK. That's why there's other programs besides AA. That said, I think it's safe to say that AA does work for everyone who works the program the way it was intended...just my .01.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, like any program it doesnt work for everyone. But social workers have seen and heard alot, so they might deal more with people who are forced into AA and dont really want to quit. If a person wants to recover they will through AA or another program they are more comfortable in.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know about AA. I'm not an alcoholic, so I don't feel like the program and meetings would work for me. I know that there isn't one solution for everyone. But if it is working for your sister, there is a great reason to try it out.

It will not hurt you, that's for sure. It's worked for so many!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Nothing works for everyone. Some people will never recover. Some people will find recovery with other methods. It's just the way things are.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If AA, or any other program, fails it might not be that the program isn't working--it could be that the alcoholic isn't working the program.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The thing is that you have to truly want to quit drink and drugs to quit drink and drugs. The vast majority of people landing in trouble as a direct or indirect result of alcohol and drugs do not wish to quit or will not accept the reality of the situation.

I know I was only done when I was done, until then any program/method would have been futile as I wasn't ready. I feel that if you truly have an honest desire to quit and stay stopped then you will do what it takes to get you there. I am grateful that I reached that point.

Peace
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why would you assume that it works for everyone? AA's success rate is around 4%-7%. More alcoholics self-remiss than ones who join AA.

Additionally, AA creates problems for atheists and agnostics. I am an atheist and have had to deal with these additional barriers. Overall, I like AA and work it to the best of my ability, but what I find most beneficial is the support group. I find it a helpful program, but not perfect. However, I can relate to others who have been turned off from AA's religious undertones.

Additionally, many AA'ers take the Big Book has a Holy Book that shouldn't be questioned. There are some good things in the Big Book, but some other things are outdated, not applicable, or wrong. AA refuses to acknowledge breakthroughs in recovery and treatment. No medical research has been updated since the Dr. Opinion from the 1930's. Plus, there is no discussion on how a healthy diet can help in recovery. Most alcoholics also experience hypoglycemia. AA does not tell you how to handle this effectively. In fact, many meetings serve coffee and refined sweets, which is the opposite of what you are supposed to do.

The "disease" concept probably has backfired. It pushes for more hopelessness and powerlessness. It strips the alcoholic of responsibility since a disease cannot be cured by a force of will. Instead of empowering alcoholics, it unintentionally makes them victims. People who wish to overcome their problems seek out empowerment, not more hopelessness.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i'm not concerned about whether the 12 steps work for 'everyone'. i'm concerned about whether it works for me, and there's only one way to find out.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The "disease" concept probably has backfired. It pushes for more hopelessness and powerlessness. It strips the alcoholic of responsibility since a disease cannot be cured by a force of will. Instead of empowering alcoholics, it unintentionally makes them victims. People who wish to overcome their problems seek out empowerment, not more hopelessness.
I did AA for three months and that is what ultimately turned me off from it. I have had to take a good look at MY OWN behavior. I am not "powerless" over alcohol until I put it in my body. It is a Christian organization. We closed with the Lords Prayer....duh! I'm Christian and had no problem with that but they should be up front about it.
I did like the fellowship of AA. It gives you someone to talk to about your problem....most people dont want to hear it.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad your sister is doiing well with AA...I am confused why it matters whether it works for everyone or not. If it worked for everyone it would be vastly more successful...just my opinion.

I can't even fathom AA working for me.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I'm not a member of AA,(i'm in NA) but they are absolutely not a christian organization. And taking a good look at my own behavior is a huge part of the 12 step process. Steps 4-10 are specifically about looking at, and doing something about my own behavior.

i don't care what methods people use to recover. i only hope that they find the freedom they seek. but mischaracterizations about a program without an experiential knowledge of them do not serve the common good of addicts.

That stupid P90X workout program doesn't work worth a crap. I watched the videos for months but i'm still an overweight weakling. Sounds a tad ridiculous doesn't it?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA doesnt work for everyone. If it did everyone would be cured. AA works for those are willing to go to any length to get sober. It works for those that work it. Just sayin...
Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think what that social worker said could have been phrased a little differently, not so negatively. Of course one program doesn't work for everyone, that's why there are so many different approaches to sobriety. I don't think it matters so much what works for any one of us, what matters is that we take our sobriety seriously and work hard to maintain it, no matter how we go about it.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I think the broader, and more salient point to be made is that recovery isn't for those who need it. It's for those who want it. The methods you use are personal and of no real relevance from person to person.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dismember

I'm suspicious of anyone who says there's nothing in AA that bothers them. There are various ways people express that you sincerely do what you can, but if there's some aspect or issue that cannot suit you then leave it.

I myself do not follow everything as is laid out in the Big Book. I don't ascribe to every detail of the steps. But what I have gotten that's positive from AA far outweighs what I'm not crazy about so I go. And I credit the better part of my recovery to it.

So at least I can see how its possible that if I'd disagreed with more than I do, then I might look at other alternatives. There is actually a dual-diagnosis program available in my city that apparently works quite well for many. I went through the program, but without the substance abuse component. Check out: Dialectical Behavior Therapy.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellySad View Post
A social worker I know told me, a few months ago, that "AA doesn't work for EVERYONE".

That worries me greatly - why WOULDN'T it?
Not all locks are the same, why would the same key work in all of them?

AA treats all problems and situations as the same and prescribes the same comprehensive solution. Treating everyone as the same is by no means the most effective mechanism if this part of human behavior follows the rest of human behavior.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

My experience.....what I've seen and witnessed in others and in myself....is basically what Stugotz said: the program works (IMO - for ANYone) but many aren't able or willing to work it.

The principles in that book were not "Bill Wilson originals" they're 1000's of years old. He was just the first person to number them and put them into print in a manner that was attractive for us......here and now. In 100 years....or 500 years........or 2000 years.....those steps and ideas may look as silly as the Bible does to so many ppl.

Whether ppl know it or not, I think most truly happy ppl live by those steps (to a degree) whether they know it or not and whether they want to admit it or not. Sure, not many do a 4th step inventory - and CERTAINLY not in the way Bill wants us to do it (LOL) but I think the truly happy and content ARE looking for their roll in things.....are forgiving of others....and do look to improve their own lives + the lives of those around them.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No program "works" for people--as others have pointed out here, people have to "work" the program. You don't just show up for meetings, maybe raise your hand a few times to share, and somehow become a healthy sober person.

I think almost anyone who sincerely wants sobriety and is willing to go to any lengths to get it can and will succeed in AA. I think many people, for a variety of reasons, choose not to use AA, and of those, some will succeed and some will not. Of those who do not, some would probably recover in AA, some will eventually get it some other way, and some never will.

I have been around AA for many years, before my own drinking became problematic. I know what it can do for those who apply the principles diligently.