Notices

Six Months! Holy cow.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Smile Six Months! Holy cow.

In April, I had an epiphany during the middle of a drunken argument. I realized that I was absolutely b.s.ing myself to pretend I could drink like a normal person and that I'd been b's.ing myself for years. That next morning--six months ago to date--I dumped my booze and resolved to try a life without drinking.

I found SR and joined. I am so grateful to all of you who helped me here, and the biggest thanks have to go to the moderators who keep this place running smoothly and dedicate so much of their time to helping all of us. The Class of April thread is also hugely important to me. Without SR, I extremely doubt I could have done this. The community of support means so much. I was also fortunate to see a counselor and am very fortunate to have a boyfriend who rarely drinks and understands why I can't.

In the beginning days, I couldn't imagine that I would make it this far. I would be shocked at 10 days, 12 days, 1 month. After all, I'd been drinking heavily and nightly for years and years, and also had a history of smoking, snorting, or swallowing pretty much anything around. The idea of being an adult and sober seemed too bizarrely contradictory to imagine, since I've been abusing substances regularly since my teens (although alcohol far eclipsed anything else).

The changes in my life over the past six months are astounding. In terms of external changes, I've cut my debt in half, lost twenty-five pounds, and taken much better care of myself. The internal changes are much bigger. I used to walk around feeling paranoid and insecure, anxious and ill-fated. And though life isn't exactly a breeze now, I feel much more open, hopeful, comfortable around people, willing to try new things, and able to enjoy life in a way I simply couldn't when I was always waiting for five o'clock to hit. I am looking forward to seeing how these changes continue in the coming months of my recovery. When I was drinking, I had forgotten how to do things without alcohol. Six months in, I can enjoy live music, go out to a restaurant, cook dinner, spend time with my family, deal with a bad day or an unpleasant encounter . . all without the crutch of booze. My life is now much more even.

I have never ONCE looked back at these six months and thought, "well, on such and such day it would have been nice to have a glass of wine." Although it is sometimes difficult in the moment if drinking is involved in a social situation, I have no regrets about this change in my life, at all, and I do not miss all those nights I spent drinking alone (or "alone" even if I was around people, since that was how I often felt). Furthermore, I can look back at these six months and clearly see my life -- before, everything was hazy and indistinct. I am so glad alcohol is no longer a part of my life.

Anyone out there reading this post who wants to make this radical change should know it is possible; if I can do it, you can too. Don't be afraid to hope for the best life you can have. The first days are rough but it will get easier. Someone here said that to me early on & I hoped and hoped it would be true--and it was.

Thank you so much for being there.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What a great post!

I'm almost 10 months sober and it's been mostly awkard and painful, but I do have days where everything feels peaceful, so progress is being made for sure.

Congrats!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so thrilled for you AG
Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you AG! Very positive post I'm happy for you.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

OMG you sound so much like me!!! I feel the same about really living these days and not just existing in a sickening fog. And the biggest thing for me is waking up every morning NOT SICK AS HELL!!! I get hysterically happy when I wake up feeling good!

I salute you and give you a big hug for your six months sober!! Sure feels good to feel good again, doesn't it?

Thank you for sharing your positive feelings. It makes me feel so good to read stuff like this. :-)
Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations AmericanGirl
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for such an encouraging post AG!! I am coming up on 2 weeks and it's good for me to hear from people like you, to know what is possible!
Thanks again,
..Mike
Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OMG what a really brilliant post!! At only 2 weeks sober, I already I understand some of the positive things you are saying. You are such and inspiration to us all. WELL DONE!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bbr

Congrats AG!! 6 months is awesome.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice one on 6 months sober!! Great honest post too!!

Thanks, Peace
Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great insightful thoughtful post AG - you make a dang habit of that LOL
Congratulations on yr recovery - it's wonderful to see

D
Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rookie

Congratulations, and thank you so much for sharing. On my first day of sobriety your story is enormously inspiring to me.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats with your sober time AG!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This was such a great thing to read, as someone just at the start it's inspiring. Well done on the 6 months, that's amazing.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Congrats on Six Big Months!!!! you Rock AG!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on all your successes in the past 6 months.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Beautiful post...inspiring!

Murray
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Friggin Fantastic :bounce
Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Brilliant! I hope you can do something nice for yourself to celebrate! Congrats
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on your first six months of sobriety!