Notices

2 weeks sober

Old 10-16-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober

I'm new here, and I am a little over 2 weeks sober. I recently went home and stayed with my family for about 2 months, and when I returned to my home I started drinking out of depression. 2 nights of heavy drinking and I was done.

My problem was pills and alcohol. I'd take medication at least every night to help me sleep and during the day to "numb" myself. I honestly didn't even realize I had a problem until I stopped.

I am seeing a counselor and therapist, but I've been really lonely. I think the problem really started getting out of control when I moved away from my family and friends. I have 1 really close friend who I currently live with, but in about a week she is moving and I will be living alone. That really really scares me because I have a tendency to isolate myself. I'm in school so that keeps me busy, and I've already started to try to volunteer/intern.

I have a lot of problems with being alone--I get really lonely and forget the people who love me because they are so far. I also get really bad anxiety attacks that make me feel "detached" from everything. They've been getting a little better with help from my counselor, but I think I need to be around more people going through the same thing---that's why I'm here.

Does anyone else get really cloudy feelings? Like everything stops and you feel detached from everything? I'm not sure if this is normal.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Lilly--Congratulations on your two weeks. Sorry to hear about your feelings of isolation; remember that we are always here even if it's not in the flesh. There's always someone here at SR who will be willing to listen and help.

I think it's good that you're talking to the counselor about the isolation and I hope s/he will help. I'm not sure about the cloudy feeling but I do know I feel lonely sometimes but that doesn't always have to be the same thing as being alone. I'm glad you have taken to the volunteering opportunities, and I hope you can make some new relationships with that. Moving to a new place where you don't know anyone is scary (I've done it several times) but you should definitely allow yourself plenty of time to make connections with people. Good friends take time and that's a GOOD thing. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I have been spending a lot of time researching addiction and watching movies/reading. I think that contributes to the loneliness, because I feel like I should be putting that time/energy into making new friends. I guess if I'm alone at night watching movies and reading it's better than drinking. As long as I'm sober I guess I'm doing alright.

I think the "cloudiness" comes from going soooo long without feeling. It's going to take me a while to come to terms with my emotions-and somehow become aware of how I feel and how to deal with that feeling.

Thanks again
Old 10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your early sober time......Welcome....

I too have often lived far away from family and former friends.
Since I am an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous
I immediately sart attending meetings in my new place.

It's an awesome way to live and enjoy meeting new people
who share my goal of a healthy future.....

Keep posting with us....many of us are winning over addictions
Old 10-16-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I've had severe depression and anxiety for years now. But I must say that quitting drinking helped a lot to make them both more bearable.

I'm glad you're seeing a counselor/therapist. I see mine once a week and she's a god-send. Have you ever seen a doctor or shrink about your depression and anxiety? Sometimes meds can be prescribed to help.

Congrats on your two weeks sober!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah! Why don't you get started in some meetings? the people are SO nice!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a little scared to go to meetings because I live downtown in a major city---the NA meetings are in rough areas. I'm honestly scared when I go that I will be with a lot of people who do more serious drugs and I won't relate. Not that I'm any better than anyone- I just think I would feel out of place.