Notices

First Day :s

Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day :s

Hello everyone, I stumbled across this site while looking for AA information, read through some of the posts and thought 'this is the place for me!'
I'm 19 and come from Scotland-where the drinking culture is HORRENDOUS I'm afraid-and have been to two AA meetings so far. I've had a drink problem for around two years now.No,scratch that,Ive been an alcoholic for around two years. Must face up to that.
At the moment I'm feeling like a huge failure because I ended up drinking after last nights group meeting.It's as though the rational part of my brain floats away and all I can think is 'have some more of the vodka,a few more swallows and then everything will be right and happy and blahblah'. So today is my first day of sobriety.I want life so much,I want to choose it instead of the alcohol,I want to grab hold of life with both hands...but it's so so difficult right now because all I want to do is howl and punish myself for being such an idiot.ugh
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's easy to get caught up in the downward spiral.

You feel bad so you drink, then you end up feeling worse and drink again to hide from those feelings. I thought I would never be able to get out of that situation. Know that you can do this and you can live the life you want to live.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery site.....

Many of us had false starts before we finally quit.

When I began my AA Steps ...I felt a shift
from sometimes sober into solid recovery.
With that in mind.....please get bac to AA
and start asking for a sponsor to assist you.

Thanks for joining with us.....all my best
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere!

You are smart to want to fix this problem while you're still young. You have your whole life ahead of you and it can be whatever you want it to be if you put down the alcohol for good. AA can be a great help in staying sober and living a peaceful life. I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Beeyump

I'm an Aussie so it is possible to stay sober in a hard drinking culture

Like Carol said, many of us had false starts - it's hard to change our lives, which is what we're trying to do.

Stick with it all - you'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Bee - glad you shared and know you have our support.

I am in Germany where almost everything involves drinking. What I can say is that I got sober here by coming here and getting face to face support.

It took me quite a few tries before I stopped looking for excuses and made sobriety my #1 focus and I will say that my recovery comes first. All of the good I have in my life and the better person I am now is because of sobriety and the positive change I made.

Stay the course and keep on with getting support and doing the work. You can do this wherever you are
Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Bee! I thought I'd never get sober and didn't really want to, to be honest. I just got tired of the hangovers and anxiety (and knew what the future held if I didn't stop)...... I'm so glad I'm sober today.

It's great that you're here - we're all in this thing together! If we can do it, you can too. Remember: one day at a time!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking sucks!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support. Just to know that others have been through similar problems helps.And I'm on day 3 now! Which feels pretty dang good to tell the truth (telling the truth being something that I haven't done a lot of recently)