Notices

So, my sponsor isn't always there

Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, my sponsor isn't always there

He's a great guy and comes from a family of alcoholics. He grew up in AA and I asked him to be my sponsor because he was someone who had some of the same problems I face. His wife, like mine, is understanding of the alcoholism and I thought it was a wise decision to ask him to be my sponsor.

However, he's also traveling often between states. So, it's a little difficult to get a hold of him either on the phone or in person. While I don't necessarily need someone to hold my hand, I would like someone to be at the other end when I have questions that I think need his input.

What, as a sponsee, should my expectations be for a sponsor? And should I share with him my concerns/needs while recovering? On the one hand, I'm not someone that complains and moans about things. But, on the other, should I expect someone who agrees to sponsor to be available without days lapsing between contact?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know much about sponsorship but would it be possible to have a 'co-sponsor'? Someone else you like and trust that is available when your own sponsor isn't? Just a thought...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's there to take you through the steps in order to provoke a spiritual awakening in you so you can recover from alcoholism and get on living your life presuming he has experienced this himself...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is worth asking him about it. Good idea.