Notices

hi all

Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi all

I am a newcomer and an alcoholic and gambling addict. I hope to find some insight on my condition and talk with folks that's in my situation. Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Crush, I am an alcoholic and just this week I realized for the first time I have no control over alcohol any more. I drink turns into more than I can count and drunken stupidness, and drunk dialing and texting. I told myself I can control 1 thing over alcohol and that is the power to NOT pick up the 1st drink in the 1st place. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Scared, Im not sure where I fall in the scheme of alcoholism. I havent drank till Ive passed out in a while, but I still drink to the point of being legally drunk just about everyday. Its led to hardships in every part of my life. I havent been sober in 20 yrs but I feel that Im ready to live sober. Thanks for the reply, it means alot.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crush, I have only been sober 3 days today is the begining of day 4 but I know I am tired of being drunk or buzzed every day of my life. I am a mother and my children deserve better than the mess that I have been. I am a "functioning alcholic" I just bought a house on my own 1 year ago and I have a great job that I love but secretly I am a drunk. Everyone knows I drink but no one really knows that I drink myself to sleep every night. I need to change my pattern and cope with reality. This weekend will be my first weekend trying to stay sober. I have to be strong and find the courage to hang in there.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere! You'll find lots of support and useful info here.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Newcomer here.

Hi all, great site, and I feel priveleged to be here. I have not had a drink of alcohol today. That has nothing to do with me . " the man I was will drink again, the man I am cannot drink safely" I can offer my experience , but I do hope you all jump on me if I offer any advice. Dinner on table , hope to be back
Keep it simple whilst I'm gone.
Happ.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Crush and welcome also Happ. This recovery site kept me sober in the beginning because any and every time I wanted to drink I got on this site and posted about it. The urges left and my thread became full of helpful posts from people that understood my struggle because it was their struggle too. There is power in numbers.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Crush and Happ

You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I agree with Horselover when you wanna take that drink come in here and post or just look around. I was here a month ago and the day I stopped coming in here is the day I relapsed. For me every relapse seems to get worse and worse. I wish everyone the best.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same boat here Scared, day 4 for me, grew tired of getting drunk every night to go to sleep and drinking all day every day on weekends, sometimes waking up at 3 a.m. and drinking to go back to sleep. First three days of withdrawal was rough but I feel pretty darn good today, even went to the gym for the first time in 3 months. Last night I actually had dreams which was pretty cool because I haven't in three months. On my way to my 4th meeting in as many days. Crush, you can do this one day at a time. I too am nervous about my first weekend of sobriety.

Originally Posted by scared1 View Post
Crush, I have only been sober 3 days today is the begining of day 4 but I know I am tired of being drunk or buzzed every day of my life. I am a mother and my children deserve better than the mess that I have been. I am a "functioning alcholic" I just bought a house on my own 1 year ago and I have a great job that I love but secretly I am a drunk. Everyone knows I drink but no one really knows that I drink myself to sleep every night. I need to change my pattern and cope with reality. This weekend will be my first weekend trying to stay sober. I have to be strong and find the courage to hang in there.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome!

I want to recommend you find yourself a good, solid recovery program. You may not think you'll need it, but in my experience, the low points will come and that's where your good, solid, recovery program will come into play.

Good luck!
Kjell
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Kjell, Im looking into it right now.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Deakanutz, Good luck this weekend. I went to the gym last night too and it has been quite a while. I am sore today, but it feels good to know I worked out good. lol
Last night I could not sleep at all. I wonder if that is a withdrawl symptom. I kept waking up every hour out of a nice sleep. I would wake up for no reason, just all of a sudden away. I had to get coffee this moring before work and I never drink coffee. Hopefully I sleep better tonight.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you have found us and that you have decided to live a sober life.

There is lots of support and inspiration here.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Crush

D
Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool

Welcome Crush-

My ex is a gambling addict and also drinks a lot of beer. Kudos to you for admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Gambling can't be detected by smell and is absolutely insidious when it starts to escalate.

When I first met my ex, he lost 3,000 in vegas. I was appalled, but he said it was just because he had a credit card. Etc. Etc. So he knew to hide it from me.

After being married 9 years, I thought he was having an affair with a fellow postal worker (which he was, pretty much) and separated. Then I started to do paperwork because bought a different house, etc., and found out he'd been keeping half of his paycheck the whole time and using it to gamble, while I paid for everything.

It was all spelled out in court--yet two minutes later, he denied it to my face. I have never witnessed such denial. There are more stories.

Guess I'm saying, the gambling can get awful, and booze just adds to the false confidence, so take it from my bad experience and see out help for that. You could gamble away so much of what you've worked for.

I do love my Kentucky Derby tank tops the ex got me, though
Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scared1 View Post
Oh wow. This is me. Glad to not be the only one. I wish you luck, we can do it!!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Crush (and Happ) - congratulations for deciding to take your life back. If we can do it, so can you! This place is always available to us for support and it's really helped me a great deal. Keep reading and posting!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr crush and happ. I am excited for you that you thinking about making a healthy change in your life. I am 10 days in and feel a lot better than i have in years. Keep coming back. sr is a wonderful resource. The stories and experiences here can help a lot when you are doubting yourself.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Crush!

You have our support and lots of good info and experience here as well!

Glad to have you on board.