Notices

Life doesn't suck when you are sober!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life doesn't suck when you are sober!

I hate to break it to everybody out there in cyberspace that life is better sober. Sure you have to give it some time, get to know your real self, dump the ego that pulls you around and maybe have a spiritual awakening, for lack of a better term.
So if you are hanging onto that drink or the idea that I'll quit after the weekend or your next vacation I'd like you to know weekends and vacations and cool drinks are way better when you are sober.
You may not lose weight but after you get sober and grow and learn through recovery you will feel lighter.
Have a great sober night!
SH
Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How right you are Stanleyhouse, I wouldnt want to be drunk doing anything now, I am enjoying remembering stuff again and taking everything in. Life is so much better!

Thank you for reminding us!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like having a clear head, feeling good physically, and being away from the depressive effects of that toxin!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SH, your post put a big goofy smile on my face!
I totally agree - thanks for the reminder and for spreading the word!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

5th day, trying to get there

Whew day 5 was rough, but even now it feels like coming out of a fog. In the shower this morning I actually contemplated things about my day, my job. In the past the morning routine was done by a droopy, hungover, zombie. I love feeling all rested and fresh in the morning.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great Enzone. I like your saying-I have a great life but I haven't been living a great life. I did have a great life, family and friends that loved me, financial security, many adventures and friendships. I was throwing all that away while I was drinking in a hole. I had to literally dig myself out of a many dark rooms or as an author called it The gin closet. That's what we do to ourselves- drink in closets with our barf bowls and our bottles and mouthwash.
So once you dig yourself out and you go back to that great life you are going to find something even better. Life isn't great because of what's on the outside but what you have learned about yourself on the inside.
SH
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Feel lighter is right. My consciousness in not burned with the shame, remorse, guilt and self-loathing (just to name a few) that comes with active addiction.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Even when my life is dull it still rocks. Just the positive attittude I have since getting sober is cool enough in itself, but living sober truly makes everything better for me. Even the bad times are better due to a better ability to handle what life throws at me... or to get out of the way.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Absolutely true for me too.....recovery rocks

Good to know you are doing so well
Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Life can be dull sometimes but it would be hard to find someone who is working, growing and learning in recovery who is dull.
SH
Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

When I was just a few months sober I was in work and this co-worker ( who i use to drink with ) came up to me and asked me if i was still staying sober and I said yep and he said: you know the difference between me and you is that when I wake up in the mornings feeling like crap all I have to do is take and few drinks and I feel fine , and I said : really well anymore if i wake up feeling like crap all I have to do is just let it pass and I feel great after that lol

Remember .. No Bad days , Just Bad moments

Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sobriety is a weight off my shoulders. Way to go SH and thx for the good word!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Life is much better sober, and every day I add to my sobriety that fact becomes a tiny bit clearer. I'm going on vacation this week, and it's such a relief knowing that I won't be worrying about drinking and driving, or figuring in drinking time, or wasting time in paradise (Hawaii) hung over.
For me, it's been all about getting into the habit of an alcohol-free lifestyle. That took several months before it felt physically comfortable and probably a year before it felt socially comfortable, but it's my identity now. Anyone can pull it off.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thx for the uplifting post.

Not only is life better when sober, it's REAL. There are so many amazing things out there - we were not meant or made to be dragging heavy chains of addiction around. I'm so thankful I have broken free and thankful for the many others on this board that helped me to see what life can be if you seize it! Great post and thanks again my friend.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
SH, your post put a big goofy smile on my face!
I totally agree - thanks for the reminder and for spreading the word!
Stanley, your post had the same effect on me as it did on Sneezy. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

You have to give it a serious amount of time. I remember someone saying 90 days and you will start to see signs and I was like good lord that is along time, but put some time and work into your sobriety and it will pay off.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great posts

It is so fantabulous to see all these positive posts. I am so happy for everybody who is sober today because it could be the beginning of a new, free life. And I am happy for all who have done some work and see the benefits of recovery. Life rocks!
SH