Notices

Tired ?????

Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired ?????

Did anyone else go through EXTREME tiredness when they quit drinking ?? I am on day 5 now and I can barely get out of bed ..actually today I didnt even make it to work !

I am SO tired all the time ,all I can do is sleep (and eat )
Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

yes. think of how little quality sleep you got when you were drinking, right? You're finally getting restorative sleep. It'll pass!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

yes especially at the time when it was time to get drunk. Like so tired it was dangerous, infact the only times I really want to drink is when I am so tired and depressed, I just repeat This too shall pass until I pass out or muster up the strength to do something else. I am just trying to sneak in naps throughout the day these days. I made a mistake by going for a walk on my break one specific time I was tired. I just have to make sure my well being is #1 and deal with whatever comes from it.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Thinking back on my first sober week...without that "energy from alcohol" that I was getting from drinking late into the night, I was extremely tired and going to bed pretty early. The way I figured, if I was sleeping, I wasn't thinking about drinking. However, I wasn't tired in the morning; practically leaping out of bed and getting through the whole day without nodding off at my desk. A month later my sleeping pattern is normal, and I'm not leaping out of bed anymore, but I am refreshed.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us seem to go through that OneWay, so I think it's pretty normal, but please see your Dr if your worried or if you think it goes on to long.

D
Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey OneWay.

I'm on Day 15 and still get very tired early in the evening. I've been sleeping from 9 - 11 hours per night. And I don't mean just laying in bed, I've really been sleeping hard. I figure my body must need it after years of passing out rather than good, quality sleep. I'm hoping to get to a "normal" amount of sleep before too long and be able to do more fun and productive activities in the evenings other than just sleeping! But, hey, I'm waking up feeling great.

Hang in there.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I hope you get into a program to deal with unresolved guilt and resentment too. I feel alot better when I don't have to carry all that baggage around.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I am so tired and it is day 24. I dont know if it is our dogs barkin in the middle of the night or the stress of work or all 3 put togather. hang in there it can only get better.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OneWay, I noticed I began feeling tired not long after I quit drinking. I wasn't sure how psychosomatic it was, since I had quit a job and was working on my own venture kind of round the clock and winter was underway. Once the Xmas holidays hit, I decided to take a break, and then after the new year, I had a lethargy like you wouldn't believe - a loss of passion, lack of ambition, just a major blah. But I was pretty excited at the same time that I had quit drinking and couldn't believe that. I needed to stick with a daily routine of walking at a minimum. I worked on other kinds of exercising a few times, but I didn't keep it up, so I held myself to the walking.

I went through about 6 months of what I would call recharging myself while looking for new work. Life consisted of the exercise I mentioned, 99% daily participation on this site and studying myself (learning about alcoholism through others) and looking for a job. And making the most of the spring and summer for the first time in years by making a point of being outside as much as I could without acting like it was a vacation. I probably walked a mile a day. I didn't track it all like a fitness trainer. (If I could walk that much every day, my energy was pretty good.) But I made a point of doing it like a chore and enjoyed it while doing it and appreciated myself for the adherence. And stayed off the alcohol.

I am working somewhere else again and have been told I look almost ten years younger than I am (42), have less of the beaten-down face I had been used to and look more fit (10 pounds lighter, less of a belly and generally "better" ). It still feels like I am more tired than I used to be, but that's just me. I also notice lately that I am beginning to adapt to stress and work pressure again. A few times I have felt an intense tightening in the chest, but I think that is related to my smoking more than anxiety. On the other hand, I have also noticed myself enjoying a sensation of work pressure and a fast pace, like I am "getting into a groove."

This is a wider angle for a response than what you were asking for, but I think it's worth it to spell it out. Depending on the person, their health and their circumstances, there is a lot of work in the sense of fighting off the temptation to be negative and to suspect every little thing is a sign of the consequences of alcoholism, and I would be able to relate to that in my own way. But it's also been a great year of learning and being grateful to experience things without the robotic routine of consuming alcohol and to experience baby steps in many ways. I never set out consciously to quit drinking, but part of me believes I actually quit my job so that I could quit alcohol. It'll be a year in a few weeks, and I still don't regret quitting the job during a recession and I love the sobriety.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Yes -- sleeping and eating a ton that first week. I was emotionally exhausted in addition to the physical effects.