Notices

just checking in

Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

just checking in

It's been a couple of days since I posted or chatted. All is well here, still fighting the good fight.

I'm a little concerned, though, because one of the ways I have started alleviating cravings is by spending money. I spent all of yesterday just driving around to different stores, browsing, killing time, occasionally buying something. I came home with a bunch of new clothes, a compound mitre saw (I needed it, really), and a few other things I never knew I needed (or wanted).

Cross-addiction can be expensive!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

I loveee browsing around stores esp thrift stores you never knowww what you'll find in them :-) thats where i find most of my books
Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My new 'addiction' is my dogs' health and well being. Since I'm sober I take much better care of them and never neglect their meals or walks due to being too drunk or too sick to care for them properly. Their meals are on time and they never miss a good walk every day. This 'addiction' to my dogs' happiness is just what I need to stay sober each day, knowing that by staying sober I'm doing right by them.

And since I'm not spending money on wine every day I now have money for treats and vet bills and such.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to hear from you June.

Personal experience is that a spending habit can also wreck havoc so it is best to avoid that trap. Treating ourselves is something well deserved but overspending just for the sake of buying can put us in a negative place. Can lead to problems.

Keep it going
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
My new 'addiction' is my dogs' health and well being.
Least, you got it on that one. My poor guy suffered when I drank in the sense that I wasn't there to give him the loving that he needed. I remember him literally affected by my anxiety, etc. Poor guy was a trooper and never left my side.

Now.....I splurge on him. Got all of his shots updated and got the "big snip" scheduled and he gets tons of doggy park time and just good plain loving.

That is constructive He helped me get through and now I help him....
Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Good words of wisdom Kmber. The spending trap is dangerous. I found a way to remedy that, though. Before I went shopping, I transferred a budgeted amount of "disposable" income to my checking so I wouldn't spend more than I could afford. I need to make sure my bills and financial obligations are taken care of first, then splurge a little for my self. Good looking out for me, though!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to hear you're doing well and are being self aware June

D
Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey June - Yeah, I was kinda feeling the same way....wanting to just go spend money. I was thinking I might take a drawing class. I can only draw stick figures at this point so what a challenge that would be, eh? Gotta stay outta the malls, though!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

June, I'm glad you're doing well!

I strive to find balance in my life, in all parts of my life. It's not easy, but it feels good when it works.