Notices

Stopped drinking and smoking together!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Stopped drinking and smoking together!

Hi! First post. It sure seemed like a dumb idea at the time, trying to quit drinking and smoking together, but I didn't know which was worse! One day I just said enough, found the resources to detox, made the decision to do it and a week later checked in for my first and last time. I was always a drinker after 5 having three to six drinks before bed and a chain smoker for the last twenty years or so. No major effects until the last 18 months of really heavy drinking and my third retirement at 57. During that time I couldn't go anywhere without making sure I had my two Irish coffee's and get back home by noon for the fist beer of the day. O became a hermit.

Went to a five day in hospital detox, and am on the nicotine patches. Going through gallons of drinks daily and many sugar free mints and healthy snacks.

I was supposed to go through a follow on 28 day halfway house program but quit after two days.

Didn't need it even though I liked most of the 16 in the group, and they seemed to like me. But rather than struggling my detox went smoothly and I had made an internal decision........that I was not suicidal and one more smoke or drink, just one, and I would be back to three packs a day and a shot in each of my coffees on awakening and another 12 to 15 beers and wines spaced throughout the day. That was slow suicide, but sure. I had tremors that were getting worse every morning, and even walked like an old man. Wouldn't go anywhere, and stayed pretty much to myself online. Funny thing was no blackouts or actual staggering drunks, just a steady buzz all day and I stayed rational and even tempered, and just didn't get anything done much.

Today is exactly three weeks alcohol and smoke free, and even though I am on the patches with nicotine, I really have few thoughts of drinking or smoking that aren't assuaged by a diet mint, healthy snack, and gallons of liquids a day.

Now I am getting dry skin and am Itchy, but even though my wife smokes and drinks still, she has always been moderate (half a pack a day and two drinks after five) and I was either all the way on or all the way off.

The few cravings I get, I just think that the one drink or smoke alone is suicide, and I am not suicidal. They last maybe a second or so a few times a day.

Besides I never drank alcohol without chain smoking, and never chain smoked without alcohol. So I figured both triggers or nothing.

But boy am I getting some weird things happening. Swollen ankles, dry itchy skin, constipation, and aches and pains from getting out and about instead of sitting around all day. Far preferable to what I felt like while drinking and smoking.

My wife says I looked swollen like I had been in a fight every morning, and now look ten years younger in only three weeks! My energy levels are way up already, and the main stresses I have are all the little projects and chores I have been letting slide the last 18 months of my heavy drinking, so it goes well and it is permanent. I started to work out again last week and pulled a chest muscle the first day so gotta go slow and steady, I am too old to rebound like I did even ten years ago.

Life's good! I didn't think I could do it, but I did.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Itchy

Welcome to SR - congratulations on your 3 weeks.

If you ever get worried about your physical or mental condition, I hope you'll seek professional medical advice - it's the responsible, safe thing to do

D
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Itchy Welcome to SR and congratulations on your three weeks.

I did the same - drinking, smoking, and binge eating all faded away at the same time.

Sounds like you're rocking and rolling Glad you're here.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and way to go on the progress!!

I admire you for tackling both problems....good work.

Looking forward to the journey.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Dee!

I have excellent insurance and medical care, and am indeed seeing my doc weekly (GP) who insisted I not go cold turkey just in case. Had all my blood work done six times in the last month and a half, the first at my annual physical in August when I had a particularly bad morning, then about three times in detox, as well as last week.

I wasn't depressed or anything being a hermit, just didn't want to drink and drive, and never did drugs at all either. I was just self indulgent and bored. I was a functional alcoholic. I have great sons, and wife and close college buddies from waaay back, extended family and all had no issues with me or my drinking except that I was usually staying home and they came over here for visits and dinners. Had I not quit when I did, I am convinced I was going to get worse fast.

I am glad I found this forum because I found others got the dry skin and itches too as well as other issues for weeks and months. My mental health is about the same as always, which is good.

Did my post seem off kilter? My intent was to say that regardless of the method, for those reading this who are realizing that they aren't drinking because they want to anymore, but because they have to, that it can be relatively easy with a good detox and docs including the shrinks, who I met with in detox. I thought I didn't have the strength or the will. But my tremors are completely gone after detox, and my energy levels are steadily increasing. I am working with a dietitician, a physical trainer, the man upstairs.

I know I will be a recovering alcoholic for the rest of my life. Because I . . . will . . . be . . . recovering . . . the rest of my life.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't seem off kilter to me Itchy - good to have you with us

D
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Itchy......

Welcome to our recovery community
All my best to you and your family ...

Thank you for your military service
Yes...I did read your other shares
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Carol,
You must need some visine if you read them all! (I tend to be long winded!)