Notices

i'm sorry amigos

Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i'm sorry amigos

i've been absent for quite awhile and not giving back.

i have not 'backslid'.

my sobriety date is still 9/8/09 so now i have more than 13 months. i don't think i've really checked in since i passed a year.

i have had some really big tests too.

i had to go to cincinnati for some training in my job. this was the first time i was gonna be on the road with no family or anyone that would have any idea what happened up there.

i'm not gonna lie...the whispering (in my head) started as soon as i found out about the trip. then miraculously another guy from work was picked to go as well. he's the guy that quit drinking because i did. a couple months after me but it had a way of keeping me in check. lol.

i was able to hook up with an old marine corps buddy and he took me to a reds game. he said "first beer is on me". i laughed and told him i hadn't had a drink in over a year and wasn't gonna break it that night.

he was very cool about it. hell....we're both 50 freakin' years old. i would hope to god that i could withstand 'peer pressure' by then. i told him to enjoy his. he's not an alkie. he can drink. i can't.

but i had a blast sitting there..halfway watching the game. sharing stories about how well both of our sets of kids had turned out in spite of us.

still feel great. i'm sure i would have felt awful if that trip had turned into a 'secret' drinking trip.

love goes out to everyone that has ever participated on this board. if you participated, you have helped me.

whether it was an encouraging word or me reading someone else's woes and my heart going out to them.

love rules,

david.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice fallen man...good to hear.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

That's awesome, David. That feeling of empowerment when we are able to say "no" and feel good about it is tremendous. And I find that I actually remember the games I go to now; when I was drinking I was usually not paying attention, stuck in a beer line or just too drunk to remember.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You freaked me out with the header David LOL....

I'm really glad to hear all is well, and you're keeping on moving forward...that's terrific

D
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to see all is well David and thank you for updating us. You are doing awesome and you know we are here even just for chit chat

All the best!!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

David......thanks for sharing your solid progress....
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

For whatever reason, I really really needed to read your share this morning. Thank you so much for posting. You lent me a hand today. I am so grateful for this place.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm with Dee...your thread title freaked me out! Lol! Glad you had a good trip
Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I gotta agree with Dee on this one lol. My heart dropped there for a second too. I'm so happy to hear your doing well and enjoying your life sober. A fine example for many of us here. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey man. I was a little worried for a second there when I saw the title!! ha-ha.

But all is good and I loved your post, thank you for posting that and it has really helped me reading that. It has been great sharing this journey with you mate and it's good to see you posting again.

Peace
Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Any time I refuse to listen to the voice in my head, I become stronger. Good for you for staying sober.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thx for the post - that was very encouraging to me.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

What is it with travel? I used to be good at home, but the moment I go out of town, all bets would be off. I have been on the merry go round for years, and can only remember a couple of trips where I have not drank. As soon as I get home, back on the wagon, but can not resist when out of my turf.

Luckily, I don't have any trips planned for a while. Next trip will be different....Back to counting days.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i'm sorry again amigos.

for causing any scare. i honestly did not mean to do that.

answering the question about travel. there's nobody there to keep us in check. at home....my family knows i've quit drinking.

they're not coming up and smelling my breath but it would be noticed in my actions i'm sure.

i got back in town friday. my oldest son had proposed to his fiance on thursday in gatlinburg tn.

my youngest son had been on a mission trip to scotland all week and was returning on saturday. the oldest son and his girl were getting back that day from the mountains.

we all went to the nashville airport to pick up number 2 and then all had a great dinner at a pf changs.

even when my car wouldn't start (thank god i pay for aaa) i just waited calmly and thought about how enjoyable that evening was without drink.

again, sorry for the scare....not my intentions at all.

david.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a great Thread you started David, very encouraging and Congrats to your son and his Girlfriend!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

not a worry

D