Notices

Out of Jail - Earlier Than Expected!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Out of Jail - Earlier Than Expected!

Hey family. I'm back on the comfort of my couch. I much prefer it to a steel bench or plastic chair. I was given a 10-day sentence for DUI #2, which was shortened to 5 because the jail does 2-for-1 for misdemeanors. My 5 actually ended up being about 3.5. I turned myself in at 8:30pm Thursday, thinking I would get out around 10:30am Tuesday (since I had already been in jail 10 hours after my arrest). Turns out, Thursday 8:30pm-12am counted as a whole day, and today counted as day 5, and I got out at 5:30am!

It wasn't altogether unbearable. I had Bible study, church service, took my Big Book, 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, Bible, and World Lit book, and some cigarettes. Shot some hoops and watched the Falcons game. Ate crappy food and slept on a fairly comfortable mattress in a cell with 2 other rather polite, entertaining and helpful individuals. And I ran into a friend from many years back, who is still friends with some people I know, and he's having lots of trouble with an addiction to prescription pills. I told him I would do everything I can to help him kick it, and he's already started since he can't get them in jail. Hopefully he'll be out soon and will be open to a recovery program, which I think he is because I shared my story with him and I think he wants my help on the outside. I believe that's a great blessing that God gave to me, an opportunity to use this situation to re-connect and help a friend.

Thank you all for your support, friendship, guidance and strength. I love you guys and am so happy to be back!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice silver lining.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Snarf,

It's really good to see you back!

I'm glad you got through it, and it's great that you were able to re-connect with someone who you may be able to help.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome home, Snarf!!

So glad your little sojourn was shorter than expected, and that something good came out of it.

I've no doubt your own attitude made it a lot more bearable than it otherwise would have been.

Enjoy your freedom!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am glad you're out and really glad you might be able to help someone else with their addiction!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Snarf))) - good to see you back, and even better that it's earlier than expected!

I'm really glad you have this behind you, now, and you were able to reach out to an old friend. This is what recovery is all about

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are done now with that chapter and can move on now. I am glad while you were there that you met this old friend. Things do happen for a reason I believe.

All the best!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Now, don't go start thinking, "Hey, that wasn't so bad"

Welcome home, jail bird....
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to hear! I'm glad you survived... I feel more hopeful I will get through my public intox crap.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey man. It's great to see you back on SR!! Thank you for sharing so honestly and keeping us updated on your 'journey'.

I'm glad that you got released earlier than expected and it just shows how things can have a habit of turning out for a reason and you had a positive message to carry to those still deeply struggling in active addiction.

Peace
Old 10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks everybody. It's something I never want to go through again, but as I was sitting in a 48-degree holding cell this morning with my arms and legs pulled up in my jumpsuit trying to stay warm while waiting for my release, I was thanking God for this humbling experience. I have a story to share with others who might be headed to the same place if they don't make better decisions. And I was able to reach some guys and hopefully planted a seed or 2 to help in their own recovery. But man, how I missed the taste of Coca-Cola and the feel of my iPhone in my hand. Happy to be back to the real world!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back mate
D
Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Back Snarf! I'm glad you made it through. Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes to You
Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If your old friend reaches out to you....please check with your
sponsor about how best to proceed....k?

Welcome back....
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So glad you've gotten that behind you, Snarf! I'd bake you a welcome-home cake, but then I'd have to eat it all, haha.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back...your positive attitude is inspiring:-D
Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

WB man!!

Impressive that you came out with a positive attitude. So many don't, yanno? God's got some plans for you my man......it'll be interesting to see what they are!!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Awesome...... Ok, so let me say that your jail experience was pretty lucky Don't count on it being so cushy next time!

But I think you experienced a bit of what I talked about in one of your threads before. Jail changes your perspective quite a bit!

Hehe, wow... only two cellmates... last time I was in I had 40 cellmates. They called it a "dorm". The funniest thing was waking up in the morning with a pile of books on me and around my bunk because I snore and everybody threw their books at me. Didn't wake me up though!

I'm glad you're out! I've been thinking a lot about you being in there, and reflecting on my time in jail as well.

Good reason not to drink!

-Goat
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Don't worry, Goat. There won't be a next time. Everyone kept telling me, "Make sure you don't come back here." I said, "I started doing that the day after I got arrested 6 months ago." I didn't need the jail time to get my attention, but I believe it served its purpose, and I deserved it.

I think I was the only guilty person in my pod of 130 people.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome home!