Notices

question?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question?

I have been a drinker since age 14 on a few days a week,but last 3 year my drinking has got into binge drinking 3 days a week and feeling bad untill weekend again.
recently i been drinking but cant stop till all beer has gone in house and that means sometimes staying up without sleep till its all gone then need to drink next day to get ove rhangover and dont matter how early it is.
last few weeks i have been going thru sat finish work time 2pm till sunday night 10pm then sleep till work again next day on drink session.

after beer sessions i feel sick and have anxiaty and feel shaky but thats as far as it goes with after effects.

would you just say this is binge drinking and can be handled or will i need to admit this may be alcholism.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic or not. It's not something that someone can decide for you. But, if you're not an alcoholic, then you should have no problem stopping drinking. Try not drinking for a fixed period and see what happens.

But, do remember that detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous and it's always best to talk to your dr.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

would i still be in danger even tho i can go 4 days without beer,its past that stage that scares me as i seem to get worse as i hit them 4 to 6 days.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Here is some information from the National Institutes of Health about alcohol withdraw.

Only a doctor can safely evaluate and treat alcohol withdraw.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Please be both safe and sober....have an honest talk with
your doctor about your drinking.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As Anna said...only you can say for sure...I would say that regardless ofbwhether you are or not the way you drink is not healthy. I have read that if you can give up alcohol for 6 months without any difficulty you are ok...maybe you should give that a go...and check with your doctor:-)
Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Well King, let's just say the drinking pattern you described sounds more like alcoholism than it does casual drinking or "normal" drinking.

Like Anna said though, there's a simple test. Set your will towards "not drinking" and do it - just don't drink. Plan out your days, watch out for what triggers you to drink, and don't pick up that first one. If you can do that......and your life gets better.... your life will get better (duh ) and you're probably not an alcoholic (although, you seem to be trying hard to be one - haha).

On the other hand.....if none of that ^^^^ works: you can't stay stopped, you can't avoid all the "triggers" all the time, you keep ending up drunk/drinking again, or when you CAN stay stopped life seems to feel worse ......then you're probably alcoholic - like I am.

Another "test" is to ask yourself if you experience "CRAVING." Most ppl misuse that word here. Craving is what happens when you START to drink....ie, you have one and then crave more. No "normal" drinker experiences that feeling. The feeling of "wanting" a 1st drink is more accurately called a mental obsession.....you're thinking about it / obsessing about it. So, if you're obsessing over your next drink and once you start you crave more - you're probably an alcoholic.

As I said earlier though....if you haven't crossed that "invisible line" you should be able to look at the bad things that have come from your drinking, bring them into your consciousness before you pick up, use your will power and NOT pick up that first drink. On the other hand, if you HAVE crossed that invisible line into full-blown alcoholism (like I did) you'll find that no matter what you think, decide, set your willpower to, resolve to do, avoid (triggers), try to remember, etc......you keep on drinking. You may also find that even when you can "keep it together" and you don't get drunk...life seems to feel worse. If that's the case...you're both screwed and you're in luck at the same time. You're screwed because you're an alcoholic and there is NO going back.....ever. - sorry, that's the way it is. You're in luck because there IS a solution and, if you're willing to do some work you CAN have a fabulous life back again.