Notices

Please allow me to introduce myself

Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Please review your own list and tell us how that is having fun and could be considered a normal "social" life?

You may have to make drastic changes in your life to succeed in recovery; be willing to change, or deal with constantly repeating the cycle of binging and all the problems you recounted in your list.

Good luck,
I know right. That list is not fun. At all. It has gone on for far too long. I am at day 2. I know I will not have any urges/craving until about 2 weeks in and then that is when the challenge is going to come in, but I know I can say no.

Thanks for your support!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
Hi Down W,
I did a quick check. Go to http/attractions.uptake.com/south_carolina.html
If you are worried about filling your time, you grab a sister, your mom,anyone and you do a daytrip every day you are off!
No money? What about the drink money?
No time? You said too much time!
No transport? Bus!
I think it is fantastic that you are young enough to get your whole life turned around and you haven't done a lot of the things people manage to pack in to 30, 40, 50 yrs!
Smashed up, wrecked, marriages/children/careers/health/families/friendships.
You will have a tough time at the beginning but when you have licked this SOB, you will be a new man and so much happier. I am excited for you!
Go on, go find AA. check out different meetings. The thing about AA, is you would find yourself befriending the 85yr old guy coz he is just so damn funny! There are a lot of young peole now coming in as they start younger like you and more awareness. Thank God!
Hey Holly,

I may try AA. Not sure if i can quit by myself or not. I will give it a shot!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I feel like you wrote my story there. Everything you wrote I can relate to. I drank on the weekends, but it was never enough. Thats what i love about SR you can relate to so many people.

As for the fun and no social life, it becomes easier. I know that's what I thought, me being young (almost 24), I thought what am I going to do now? I've been out and about since I've gotten sober and I enjoy it so much more. I remember the night and I can also be happy that I'm not that girl anymore. My definition of fun no longer includes alcohol, I've realized that my version of "fun" with alcohol was far from fun. It may have been fun in the beginning till it started controlling me and from that I acted very irresponsible and done some messed up things.

Maybe you should write down that list you wrote here and when a difficult time comes, pull it out and read it, tell yourself is that is really what you want. Also realize that it may seem like a good decision at the moment to pick up a drink, but that decision could leave you in a dark hole for a long time. So I'd get out while I can, because it isn't going to get any better if you decide to continue to abuse alcohol. Ask around and I don't think there would be anyone that admitted they have a problem with alcohol who went back and used, and said, "Hey that was fun, that was the best decision I've made!". Ultimately, your sobriety is dependent on you and what you decide to put into it.. So with that keep posting and welcome to SR!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by DownWDisease View Post
augustwest,

Have fun in Charleston man! I wish I could go but I have some other things going on unfortunately.

Yeah I thought my screen name was appropriate for what I hope to accomplish!
will do! i would encourage you to give AA, or some kind of help a shot. It very hard and not enjoyable in my experience to do this alone. and when you get some time and things are going well in recovery know that there are tons of us at the shows and on tour.

the phellowship is a clean & sober group of phans who meet at setbreak of every show to share our ES&H of recovery. Only requirement for membership is a desire to see phish clean & sober. One show at a time!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site Maybe if I'd gotten my act together 6 months ago instead of a few weeks, I'd be heading to SC. Oh well, incentive to stay sober! I've never heard of the phellowship... neato!!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by Fee11 View Post
Welcome to the site Maybe if I'd gotten my act together 6 months ago instead of a few weeks, I'd be heading to SC. Oh well, incentive to stay sober! I've never heard of the phellowship... neato!!
ahhh, i've been wondering if you were fee the buddhist prodigy, long past the age of maturity....

was gonna ask a few days ago. helloooo phanner!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Down, first of all, welcome. You could have written my biography. But, now, I'm 53, which means, for a long time, I was a "weekend Warrior!" But then the need-it-every-day-just-to-maintain crap set in. Oh, it wasn't just beer, it was anything I could get. Beer, wine, vodka, scotch, tequila, etc. etc. Then the drugs. Not much I didn't try (except heroin)

The disease can and will grab you and take you down, and it won't let go. I would advise to see your doctor. Let him know what's going on. Detox can be rough, I needed help with meds to go thru mine. 41 days now. And I don't even look back. No need to.

SR is a great resource, if you don't like the AA meetings in your area, (like I don't) then try an NA meeting. You need a support group. Best of luck. It wont be easy, but, it is well worth the ride!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome DWD and have fun in Charleston augustwest.

It's good to see a few phans in this thread. I do not plan on going to one for a while. I need a few months before I will be safe. Maybe I will be ready by spring tour. When I make it that far it will be a lot cheaper to go than it has been in the past.

This thread made me think of blacking out at the Greek on Thursday night while my friend was looking for me. He does not drink and was driving around trying to find me. He was talking to me on the phone and asked where I was. My response was "on the corner of here and there". I was about a mile and a half from the venue. Somehow he found me sitting at a bus stop with a 12 pack of sierra in one hand and an open beer in the other. I woke up the next morning in the car at about 7:00am. I also fell down at some point and walked with a limp the rest of the weekend. I hope to never do that again.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

another phanner! HELLO! and congrats on the best decision you'll ever make for yourself. as far as shows go, i went to a trey show at 60 days clean and saw phish right at 5 months. friday night will be my 11th clean and sober phish show. don't go until you're ready. nothing is more important than staying clean.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thanks augustwest. I understand not to go to shows until I am ready after a few failed attempts at sobriety. I keep trying to talk myself into seeing 1 Widespread Panic show this weekend, but I am nervous how it will turn out. I know that I will get into something based on the people I know and the environment. At least the shows are being filmed in HD video and I will be able to watch them from the comfort of my couch next week. I think that this is the best option for me right now based on past experiences.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome ineedtochange... man this site just keeps getting better... yay for Phorum Phellowship!

I have been so gone at most all the shows and festies I have been to in the last couple of years. I hardly remember having fun. I know some "old timers" from the sixties talk about knowing that you had fun if you can't remember what happened... lol yeah right... i'll just have a cup of coffee and catch my breath!

WTG, AugustW... lucky number 11! Smile, something good is gonna happen!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

WSP sucks anyway. No need to jeopardize your sobriety.

Something great is gonna happen friday, fee! I can't freaking wait. Heading down there tomorrow night so i can get get some beach time pre-show on friday. Tour looks great so far. Haven't downloaded any of the shows yet. gonna wait till after chucktown. i love that mp3's are included in your ticket price now. that kicks ass!