Notices

Scared newcomer trying to understand

Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Scared newcomer trying to understand

Hey anyone,

I have been drinking whiskey for about 6.5 years and I am trying to quit now. Im so scared of the withdrawel symptoms. Everyone is telling me its too dangerous to quit cold turkey. Does anyone know? I drank anywhere from 4 to 9 shots a night. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know I can do this if I just get the right support. Im incredibly scared.

~Shannon~

Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome!

We can't give any kind of medical advice here.

Please talk to your dr before you detox because it can be very dangerous.

There is lots of support here, so take a look around and make yourself comfortable.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shannon, please call your doctor. You can get help for the w/d. I detoxed from xanax in August and it was so painful. Five days into my tapering off, I decided that I couldn't do it alone. After I got to detox, it was not scary, hard, or painful at all. And I learned some great coping skills and got my meds straight.

Do this. You sure can. Call your doctor in the morning. If you don't have a doctor go to an ER or Urgent Care. Reach out, Shannon. Help is waiting for you.

Be strong,
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. Please see a Dr. We are here for you for support.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please do get medical help in getting thru w/d. You'll find a lot of support and understanding here.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Don't be scared. Talk to your doctor. He or she may be able to give you a checkup, take a medical history and drinking history and prescribe some medications to make detoxing safe and more comfortable for you. Or he or she might tell you that you can safely detox without medication. Not everyone who needs medical supervision for detox has to go to a detox facility. It's always safest to discuss it with a medical professional.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HFA

Lexiecat is right. Not everyone needs to be an inpatient to detox. Your Dr. will be able to help you decide if you need inpatient, outpatient, meds or nothing during detox. Dont be afraid to tell him/her, thats their job.

Day 102
Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Glad you are here with us
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've gone through alcohol withdrawal several times, I guess because I'm a slow learner when it comes to drinking. In my experience it gets more difficult depending upon how much you drank and for how long. Everybody is different, but for me a small does of valium for a couple of days made it so much easier to withdraw. Obviously you need to see a Dr. for that kind of assistance.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Thank you everyone!!!

I really appreciate all of your support and information that you gave me. Myself and my husband have drank everyday for the past six and a half years. We have been wanting to quit, so I woke up yesterday and I had that moment of realization that I am done with this. I have an appointment set up with a counselor and I am in touch with my doctor but he has not gotten back to me yet. I have been told that until I go see my doctor I can try to drink less each day to avoid major issues. We didnt drink all day but we did drink everyday. I am still very scared but I will be listening to everything you guys tell me and its very good to know that there are people out there that have gone through this very same situation I am in. I do have hope that we will be okay. Ive seen a lot worse from people who drink all day everyday. Anymore advise you can give is appreciated. It will all help me through this difficult time in my life and I can help my husband (who seems to be doing just fine and is not scared at all!!)

~Shannon~
Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Shanchuy99:
Although I know you're scared it sounds to me like you're going to be all right. Just tell your doctor how much you've been drinking and for how long and let the professionals make the decision. And, until you know their conclusions, try to ease up on your drinking gradually but don't try to detox yourself until they advise you as to what to do. It's wonderful that your husband is cooperating right there along with you.
You will get medical help so that it's as safe as possible and that it's not too uncomfortable for you. To get your mind off it watch TV, read a book, take a walk. Try to eat a balanced diet and drink liquids.

W.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One thing that REALLY helps me is Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Shanchuy99

Its way better to be safe than sorry - the best course is always speak with a Dr before you stop anything

welcome to SR
D
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Freaking Out!!!

Hey there again. Am I overreacting? I cant seem to get ahold of my doctor and I am about ready to take myself to the ER. My husband thinks I am just creating anxiety by being so scared of WD. I would like to think that I am not as bad as other drinkers but I know better than that. A drinker is a drinker regardless of how much they drink or how long they drink. When it takes over your every thought thats not normal. If I dont hear back from my DR by tomorrow I may have to take myself in.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I need all I can get since this is so new to me. I had no idea that drinking they way I did could be so deadly. I figured oh I could get liver or kidney problems or stomach problems but I never imagined this. If I make it out of this okay I may just have to become a counselor so I can help people like me and warn people before they get like me.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is there another doctor in the practice you could talk to maybe?

I am sure you will be fine since you are approaching the problem cautiously. I think its wonderful you are looking forward to helping others but concentrate on yourself right now:-)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Hi LaFemme,

Your probably right!!! I just need to relax and take it one day at a time. I know what the warning signs are. Thanks to all of you! You guys are all a godsend!

God Bless!

~Shannon~
Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi - glad you're here, Shannon. I'm glad you feel you've had enough - I let alcohol run my body, mind and emotions for so long. After getting through the first few weeks, life just turned around for me. You can get your life back too.

The cravings and urges aren't fun but hang in there one day at a time, one hour or even minute at a time. They don't last forever and you'll gain new strength from waiting them out.

I wish you all the best as you get help and support. Hope to see you around the forum!!:ghug3
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Hey ArtSoul,

Thanks for your response. Just curious if you dont mind me asking, did you have to obtain help with withdrawels? I so far have not but Im wondering if its coming. You will see above just how much I drank so I am just trying to get a heads up on what could happen next. I know medical advise cannot be given and I am not asking for any I just want to get all aspects of what i need to expect. I hope to hear back from you and look forward to keeping everyone posted on my recovery.

~Shannon~
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Shannon! I'll just jump in here for a second...from what I understand it isn't really predictable who will need help with withdrawal and who will not. You could be a comparatively light drink and have terrible withdrawals or a very heavy drinker with light withdrawals.

I drank a heck of a lot more than you when I quit and I did it cold turkey with no support...it was like having the flu for 5 days. I didn't consult a doctor because I didn't know any better and I got lucky.

There is so much uncertainty as to whether or not a person will have problems which is why we all tell everyone to see their doctor.

Hugs!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Shannon,

Like some others here, I can be a slow learner :-) In my past, I have sat down 3 times and just emptied my life story and history to a doctor. In _Every_ case, he was NOT there to judge me, he was there to HELP me! To be honest, I was really quite surprised! One of the doctors even told me he gets 3-4 high income, educated, successful people a week coming in and saying the exact same things I was saying. That they Knew things had gotten way out of control and they had to change or die. i.e. I was Alot less alone than I ever thought!
My point being, please, Please, do not be hesitant of sharing any historical info with your doctor! He's there to HELP you, NOT judge you!
Wishing you the Best of luck, stay strong! You will get _Alot_ of support here!
..Mike