Notices

Tiredness

Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tiredness

Hello everyone. I quit drinking for six days two weeks ago. This was after 3 years of drinking around 15 beers an evening. The biggest problem I encountered was when it became close to the time I would normally drink I would become so exhausted for some reason. My Doc says it was because of the carbs I was consuming while drinking. Wanting(needing) to stop again but don't want to feel the way I did a couple weeks ago.
I hope that made sense, I obviously am still struggling. Was just seeking some advise, thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would ask your doctor for any medical help s/he could offer. As far as being tired, I can't say since Im not a doctor and wouldn't diagnose you over the net anyway. Please see your doctor for help there.

I'm glad you've decided to get sober again. It really is worth it. It can be a bit rough the first few weeks but after that you should start feeling much better.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

T. Soul,

Welcome to SR !!

I guess you were a little like me that way, ....loading up on carbs daily !

Maybe you can develop a plan to load up on some nutritious food before the time you would normally drink. I used to absolutely hate to eat before I drank; ....because it would "ruin my buzz".

Keep posting , ...and reading here at SR.

Good folks here.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do think that giving up the sugar in alcohol can be a bit hard.

I hope you feel better soon, and please do talk to your dr again if you need to.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What else did your Dr. Say? I'm guessing he probably said it would get better if you gave It some more time...it can take a couple weeks to get through a withdrawal period. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey troubledsoul, I definitly think the lack of carbs/sugar your body used to get from drinking has something to do with being tired. My first week sober I was soooo tired, I ate a lot of icecream that week and it would give me a relief from the tiredness for a while. I'm a little over 5 weeks without any beer and it is getting better but I still usually end up eating a small tub of ben a jerrys icecream once or twice a week for the sugar rush. besides the icecream, I have been eating pretty healthy and running and working out, but sometimes I just crave the sugar carbs...lets face it that's pretty much all beer is right? Next time you quit get yourself some icecream or something else to give you that sugar rush, it's not that healthy but it's better than drinking...then just start to cut down on it and start working out. Good luck dude, you can do it!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was a beer drinker too. Did my drinking in the evening and usually stayed up late. I too was tired when I quit. It was my body telling me I was exhausted. So I slept. Give recovery a try. Most of the symptoms pass. Don't let your booze brain tell you that you can't quit. You can.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Stay away from it and get through this time as best you can.

Personally, I couldn't do that ^^^ I never did anyway....I'd start feeling better and go right back to the booze. Staying stopped really IS the key to stopping and I couldn't stay stopped on my own. That was a heck-of-a blow to my ego but once I surrendered to my reality and got some help, sobriety (and LIFE) started getting a whole lot easier.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Quitting drinking, and staying quit, ISN'T painless usually.. Whether caused by physical symptoms, cognitive symptoms.. withdrawal sucks, and can be dangerous. Luckily, you only have to go through it one more time, if you choose.

See your doctor again, see what he might recommend to get you through, long term.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Man, I suffered some pretty serious withdrawals too. I am happy to say I think I made it through the worst of them. I have replaced the sugars in the 2-3 bottles of wine I would drink a night with sweet treats that probably aren't much better for me. I never knew I had a sweet tooth, but chocolate is a new addiction for me! (strange, hearing that from a guy I bet)

The carbs in beer might be replaced with pasta and a good aerobic workout routine? One thing I've noticed in the short time sober and on these forums, different things actually work for different people. For me, it's staying busy and focusing on my son. That's been working so far. Everybody is right when they say see your doctor - I did, and it really helped!

Do your best and keep coming back! It works for so many people!