Notices

Overwhelmed

Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Overwhelmed

Hi everyone, I just joined this site I am 7 months clean, but relatively new to recovery. I hate alot going on, but can't believe how much better things have gotten in only 7 months of sustaining from drugs. My DOC is heroin and fentanyl, but would settle for anything that I could get my hands on. My earliest memory of using is at the age of 14. I am currently 30. At the age of 25 my addictino took me to a whole new level, and hell. I lost my son, family, friends, job, apartment, car, ect; and recieved a hefty criminal record and complete devastation in return. I was arrested on felony charges, jailed for four months, and then recieved 2 1/2 yrs probation & 6 months house arrest in return. Addiction has not been kind to me. Yet I nurtured it so well. (lol) At this point in my life I am close to having children and youth close the case against me and allowing my 10 yr old son to return home with me (he is currently with his father), I am working fulltime, I am a full time college student and I am rebuilding family and friend relatinoships. I have come a long way in seven months, but know nothing about actually changing my behaviors, recovery and stability. I hope to gain these things. I am on house arrest until Feb. 2011... so I only leave the hosue for work and medical / therapy apointments. Therefore I have a TON of time to sit in my thoughts.... I hope to occupy myself and fend away the demons while learning more about recovery. (sorry if i babled too much)
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It didn't sound like babble to me! Happy you're joining us - it really helps to have support at your fingertips. This place has gotten me through a lot already.

It sounds like you're doing something right or you wouldn't have been able to stay clean all this time. I'm sorry drugs did all those things to your life - addiction is such a ruthless master, isn't it?

I'm trying to change my attitudes and behaviors, too. What works for me is to do baby steps (setting small goals like cleaning out a closet), and to try to think more positively. Also, I like the phrases from AA: Easy Does It, and Keep It Simple. I find that the less I overwhelm myself, the more enjoyable my sobriety is.

Keep reading and posting!:ghug3
Old 10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you've worked hard to get 7 months clean, and to be in school and working. Good for you!

Yes, I think that recovery does involve a lot of life-changes. For me, balance is the key. I try to work on myself every day - physically, mentally and spiritually. I have found that a spiritual connection is essential for my recovery. I have to believe that my life has a purpose and that the Universe is a loving, caring place.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Vee. Even tho my last addiction was alcohol, I have run thru a bunch of other stuff in my life. So much so that I consider myself an addict, not just an alcoholic. Do they let you "off of the leash" to go to a meeting? NA has been a lifesaver for me. Just to get out and connect with like minded people, it's a blessing. In the mean time, keep posting and reading here. Wish you all the best.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Vee...you have much support here.

Way to go on 7 months and I am glad you are here. I too found that I could quit but didn't fully get the idea of recovery at first. Finally, with a lot of support (thanks SR) I reached out and began doing the work.

I have a positive life now and everything has changed for the better. I handle all ups/downs sober and its amazing once we start taking steps to improve the way we live our lives how fulfilling it really is.

For me, I am am an alcoholic. I no longer have the urge/desire to drink because I see what a better person I am without and each day is evidence/proof - if you will- that I am on the right path.

You have worked hard and recovery will help you live the positive life that you seek. We all can move beyond our addictions and getting a good program of recovery in place is key.

Proud of you and this is a new you. I really enjoyed your share.

Looking forward to the journey!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Vee

D
Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Vee)))))

You have come a long way!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

WELCOME to Sober Recovery, you have found a great place with lots of Experience, Strength and Hope (ES&H) from folks who have been where you are, or are where you are now.

I have come a long way in seven months, but know nothing about actually changing my behaviors, recovery and stability.
If you are do inclined .................................... and your PO approves there are programs that involve 12 steps that IF we work them with a sponser we can achieve exactly that.

Look up Narcotics Anonymous in the phone book, give them a call and they will be able to tell you of meetings close to you, or this site can help you also:

NA Meetings in PA By Zipcode - Narcotics Anonymous Meetings

Again, WELCOME. I hope to see lots more post from you not only letting us know how you are doing but sharihng your ES&H.

Love and hugs,