SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/210486-class-october-2010-sobriety-group.html)

Really4Real 10-11-2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by racinstalldev (Post 2734538)
For those of you on your first couple of days... it truly gets better as the days tick by (I'm on day 9 now). The more nights of sober sleep in a row seem to continue to clear my head. The urges at the time of day that I used to crack open that first beer have already began to subside.

Thanks for that! Day 5 seems to be kicking my butt at the moment, but I'm still on kicking harder. Good to hear the fuzziness will go away soon - it's so annoying. It why I continued to drink - get rid of it.... of course I was only making it worse :gaah

Sleeping is getting better though... even though I go to bed real early these days....

caribbean 10-11-2010 06:39 PM

Today's discovery -- 12 days in -- I am at a place where I am not contacting a number of people in my life that I would normally be connecting with or reaching out to, simply because I'm not ready to talk about my recovery with everyone yet. Or, if I do talk with them and they ask me what's new, my responses are very surface -- which is unlike me. It feels weird, having this huge transformation going on in my life and sharing it with a ton of people who are also in recovery -- but not yet with the people who are close to me in my life. It's a very strange spot to be in, and I can only assume it will pass as I become more comfortable sharing the news with my friends. Right now, I think I am still afraid that this recovery thing will vanish if I tell everyone -- like every other grand project I've started and never finished.... Maybe so, maybe not, but I am not ready to find out just yet. :(

tjp613 10-11-2010 06:41 PM

Day 5 is messin' with me, too.

At yesterday's meeting the topic was what AA saying do you rely on the most? At this stage mine is most definitely One Day At A Time....and that's exactly how I'm working this thing right now. I know I can stay sober for today and I'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow.

G'night all. Good work.

duggy 10-11-2010 06:46 PM

welcome everyone! i'm doing fine..just been busy with work today and preparing for our 10 day vacation coming up on Friday..

i've not slipped since last week and am feeling pretty good though I do feel a cold coming on..grrr...but thats ok..it will make me want to drink even less :)

to all the newcomers..you're in a fantastic place for support and friendship..SR has been a godsend for me!

tjp613 10-11-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by caribbean (Post 2734825)
Today's discovery -- 12 days in -- I am at a place where I am not contacting a number of people in my life that I would normally be connecting with or reaching out to, simply because I'm not ready to talk about my recovery with everyone yet. Or, if I do talk with them and they ask me what's new, my responses are very surface -- which is unlike me. It feels weird, having this huge transformation going on in my life and sharing it with a ton of people who are also in recovery -- but not yet with the people who are close to me in my life. It's a very strange spot to be in, and I can only assume it will pass as I become more comfortable sharing the news with my friends. Right now, I think I am still afraid that this recovery thing will vanish if I tell everyone -- like every other grand project I've started and never finished.... Maybe so, maybe not, but I am not ready to find out just yet. :(

If I am honest with myself I think I have been reluctant to share the 'news' because when I do that means I'm really committed and it closes the door on the option to drink with those friends. I am also afraid I'll lose their friendship and these are really important friends to me. I don't really believe I'll lose their friendship, but I'm afraid of that.

Just gonna take it one day at a time...AND decline dates with them until I'm much farther along. :D

caribbean 10-11-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tjp613 (Post 2734828)
I know I can stay sober for today and I'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow.

It's funny, I used to use my drinking to procrastinate. Now I just procrastinate about my drinking. :D

leo21 10-12-2010 06:31 AM

I think everyone is doing an awesome job here. You guys/gals rock! You have nothing to lose in sobriety, guaranteed!

:You_Rock_

Really4Real 10-12-2010 08:10 AM

Day 6.... and counting...
Yeah, I've only told one friend. None of my friends really drink a lot - so for me, it's more of I'm kind of embarassed about it and even though I'm doing ok so far, I still have a bit of a fear of slipping and if I slip, I'm gone again for a while. Kind of all in or all out, y'know? Gonna have to deal with all that, I guess.

My husband doesn't drink, unless I do... so that's a plus...

Have a great day everyone!

tjp613 10-12-2010 08:59 AM

I'm on Day 6 too and doing OK. Kinda getting to that 'mourning' stage, but still would rather be sober than drunk that's for sure.

I'm really enjoying the meetings. I also got called on and shared a little bit -- made it known I was a newbie then had a real nice chat with a young lady afterwards. There must have been 60 people in that room!

eddie73 10-12-2010 09:09 AM

Me Im on day 7 and only starting to feel human again. What a rotten poison we force down! Anyway, coping well, back sleeping again and will start exercise tomorrow. Really getting a lot out of my first aa meetings.

Raindance 10-12-2010 01:57 PM

Hi all! I have my second ever appointment with an addictions counsellor, i'm so nervous I could puke.

Dee74 10-12-2010 02:10 PM

Hope it all goes well Raindance :)

As for telling folks - when I got sober I told everybody - but then I'd become a pretty visible drunk...I also wanted to make it 'real' and not leave myself outs later down the track...but everyone's different...like someone else said...this thing is best taken a day at a time, I think :)

so glad to hear everyone's hanging in there & doing well :)

D

Raindance 10-12-2010 03:01 PM

Thanks, I felt really good after leaving the first time, I just have to remember that puking on her shoes would be bad form.

tjp613 10-12-2010 06:37 PM

I just keep feeling better and better...like I've turned the clock back at least 5 years. I think it has a lot to do with NOT mixing my Lexapro (antidepressant) with booze (depressant) anymore. I also have been loading up on vitamins and a bit of exercise and good sleep. The result is that I have so much more energy and my outlook is much improved. Now...if I could just lose 15# I'd be on top o' the world! :D

Really4Real 10-12-2010 06:42 PM

Hi Eddie.... right on with the poison thing. Crazy stuff we do to ourselves, then wonder why we're so messed up :gaah

Made it through a stressful Day 6. Won't tell you I didn't have a fleeting thought or two about 'something' to calm me down - but choose Diet Sprite instead. I sure was hyper though today.

Raindance, you can do it! Besides puking isn't socially acceptable :c015: normally....

Goodnight Everyone -- Hope you all sleep well.

Really4Real 10-12-2010 06:51 PM

TJP... yeah, mixing drugs and alcohol doesn't mix real welll. Sounds like a good idea at the time, but we just don't know what we're doing to ourselves until we've gotten off of it for a while.
I hear ya on the 15 pounds... have to about that much tonnage off myself! The only vitamins I've added is B100 and Milk Thistle (kind of helps the liver). We could do a weekly weigh-in if that will help. Give us both some motivation... maybe on a separate post... I don't know. Or not.... I'm flexible.

tjp613 10-12-2010 06:55 PM

Aw, hell no! I ain't givin' up my cookie dough just yet! LOL I'm hoping that the lack of liquor calories will help but I gotta give it a bit of time before I tackle that issue.

I'm taking a sublingual B vitamin complex, and Emergen-C (1000mg).

So THIS is what normal people feel like!!? Who knew?

Really4Real 10-12-2010 07:02 PM

That was good, TJP! I'm partial to Peanut M&M's myself - and Chunky Monkey Ice Cream - banished to only Saturday nights now.
I forgot about the Emergen-C... have it in my cupboard.... thanks for reminding me.

Have a good night.

DaveAnomie 10-12-2010 07:05 PM

Day 7 for me and tjp613 invited me to join! Thanks for the invite and hello everyone :D