Notices

the guys at the liquor store

Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ghostlight..great story.

Bobby...the liquor store is right across the street from the train station...the other places that sell vouchers are across town. Believe me going in to the liquor store twice since getting sober is not something I consider risky behaviour...I don't go out of my way to avoid "wet" places..neaither do I seek them out.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Justwannalive

I worked in a liquor store in my home town while in college and was one of those guys who would have the pack of Marlboro and twelve pack Coors ready for those customers who came in everyday. I never had anyone seem to be concerned but I only did it for younger guys.

It was weird. I knew which parents of friends and schoolmates had a problem. I marvelled that some people could put away 4 liters of wine a night or a 1.75 of Cutty Sark every 3 days. I did notice frequency.

Unfortunately now I totally see how it was possible to drink that much.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LaFemme:
What about the bartenders? I'm sure they beat the doctors in being able to diagnose the folks with the drinking problem. Do they miss us now? Are they so lonely now that we're not there that they have to have counseling? Maybe they can join a bartenders' support group? Or go to the liquor store owners support group? It's Sunday. Let's pray for all these fine folks whom we have deserted!

w.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I mostly drank at home, so I didn't know my bartenders:-)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sorry I misunderstood you , my bad
Old 10-03-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I walked into one of my stores before treatment and told her it would be the last time she would see me because I was going to get help. She couldn't belive I had a problem. I guess I rotated pretty well. It still amazes me how much people don't notice.
SH
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was a bartender for 15 years. Even though I was a drunk I didn't hesitate to take keys and call cabs. Yes I had regulars that spent lots of money but obviously had a problem. For me as long as they could stand and didn't drive I was cool. A few of them left and I always hoped it was because they were getting help. My dad was a big drunk so I think it was normal for me to see grown men drunk all the time. I miss it sometimes, the money was awesome but not such a good job for an alcoholic!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Not long after I quit, I made it a point to go to each little spot that I frequented. When I was drinking I would stop at these stores on a daily basis, same time frame each day, same routine each day.

Most didn't say anything, but others were already pulling out a little brown bag waiting for me and suprised when I showed up at the counter with a dr. pepper in hand.

I would get, 'no beer today?', or 'that doesn't look like a beer!'

For me, as closure, I needed to confront those stores and be able to walk in, get what I wanted and walk right by the booze.

I rarely go to those places anymore, except one where I get my lunches at nearly everyday. Those folks are now used to me coming in and NOT getting booze so the brown bag doesn't come out anymore! LOL!! If I had recycled cans over the years I would be paying cash for a new car right now.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post

So the thing I wonder is what they think and how they feel. I'm pretty sure (99.999%) that they knew I had a problem...they probably know a lot of people who do. Do you think that its hard for them...are they happy when they see me in town and not buying liters of wine from them.

Just curious :-)

I actually work in a liquor store and let me tell ya, its hard sometimes, especially since i have an alcoholic boyfriend and father. I have worked there for 2 years and it's a big city with lots of liquor stores but i know our regulars. I worry about a few of them, especially "vodka lady". She will come buy a mickey (think thats a pint in the USA? three times a day. When she first comes in she is usually fairly sober but by the third time she wont even know she was there earlier. When I dont see her for a few days i worry, ALOT! I've begun caring about alot of the people i deal with.

Weird question, but its one that drives me absolutely insane....why does she not just buy a bigger bottle? Maybe she thinks that would make her seem like she has a problem?

I really do care about my "regulars" but i can only say no to selling them booze if they have definitely had a bit too much.

My boyfriend goes out and buys booze when he's already tanked ( he lives in a smaller city than me). It makes me angry when they still sell to him even tho they can see he is mega drunk. Argh! So i try not to sell to the already drunk people who come in
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

As to why vodka lady didn't buy a bigger bottle...the same reason a lot of us rotate stores. We don't want people to know how much we drink. The second reason might be she thinks she will drink less if she buys smaller bottles.

A lot of stores in my town will deliver...I never had anyone do that though.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I wonder if I was referred to at the liquor store as "the wine woman"? or the Chardonnay chick?......"Cabernet Cow",that would be an ultimate name.....I am embarrassed and now know I will never set foot in that store again.

so thanks for the extra thoughts they are helpful to imagine what others think of me when buying alcohol.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This morning I stopped by a little convenience store and just shook my head. They already had that big bin filled with ice just sitting there - filled with singles. A fellow in front of me had a six pack and something else. I'm not trying to talk all high and mighty, but it got me to thinking how someone could start so early in the morning. Then I remembered that was me just over a month ago. I can't imagine trying to drink anything so early these days - yuck!

That dude reminded me of this guy I would see about at one of my stops. He looks aweful for an older gentlemen, but he buys an 18 pack at a time. I saw him one time sitting in the car just drinking away as he sent in another woman to get his stuff. He opened the door and I saw all these empty cans.

It's really not a way to live at all. I still wonder where my common sense had gone to all those years.......
Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I always made sure I had enough wine to get through the morning so I wouldn't have to go to the store before noon (still did once or twice).

Leo...I don't think our common sense played much of a role in our drinking;-)
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

LaFemme I believe you are correct.