SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Saying Or Verse? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/210425-saying-verse.html)

meblonde 10-02-2010 11:38 AM

A Saying Or Verse?

Is there a saying or a verse, anything that might have kept going through your head that you knew it was time to quit? I use to drink to party but it turned into drinking just to drink for way to many years. I always knew one day I needed to give it up totally. I read two things that stuck in my mind even when I was drinking. I think these two things where telling me, it was time.. This first one is from a daily devotional I have. And the second is a quote from a past drinker. They are both so true. Please share if you had one.
And think about this:

The decision is only wishful thinking until you take that first irreversible step. You can tell yourself that you have already decided, that nothing can stop you, but if that step backwards is so much safer than step forwards, what will hold you true to your path when the going get though? Sometime, the right thing to do is to take that first irreversible step, the one after which you cannot go back. And now, for you, is one of those times.

I truly believed that the only way that I could be happy in life was to be drunk. This was a twisted mindset. I really looked down on other people who didn’t drink and pitied them that they were not able to “get happy” like I was, only to later envy them for staying sober and feeling good every day. The truth of the matter was that I was miserable for 99% of the time, and it was a rare moment when I could find the right “level” of toxicity where I could even claim to be “happy” in my drunken stupor.

LexieCat 10-02-2010 12:55 PM

The one I kept hearing is: "You NEVER have to feel this way again."

Bobby 10-02-2010 01:04 PM

The one I kept hearing was and still hear is " Your Not Alone Anymore "

CarolD 10-02-2010 01:06 PM

"What the hell have I become?"
:sad:

Then in early sobriety.....The Serenity Prayer
was my mantra for balance.

least 10-02-2010 01:43 PM

"What the hell have I become?"
That was my first thought every morning...:(

Now it's more like the thought is always in my head "I never want to go back to that horrible hell hole I'd dug for myself!"

Now when I wake up my first thought is "it's great to be sober!":)

bellakeller 10-02-2010 02:08 PM

I had three really useful things that have helped especially early on:

1. Never forget the hell that brought you here
2. Don't believe what you think
3. There is nothing in the world that drinking alcohol will make better

Dee74 10-02-2010 02:15 PM

'drinking is no longer a viable option - search harder.'

D

Sean4988 10-02-2010 04:36 PM

Fully accepting the 1st Step, Powerless over Alcohol and God are the foundation for me. And to not drink "No matter what".

Omega10 10-02-2010 07:28 PM

For me, it was a quote from the movie 28 Days: "this is no way to live, this is a way to die."

Like CarolD, I replaced that one with the serenity prayer.

LaFemme 10-02-2010 08:20 PM

Out of the night that covers me
black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever Gods may be
for my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate
how charged with punishment the scroll
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul

INVICTUS

Draciack 10-02-2010 09:08 PM

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

alexvt 10-02-2010 09:46 PM

Love this post. This is mine, it came from a voice deep inside me..

As long as you are sober your life will never be in Shambles

Kmber2010 10-03-2010 03:26 AM

Look at you and what you have done to yourself.

Then when I got sober....one more drink and you will die.

Ainslie 10-03-2010 04:34 AM

"If you're not getting better, you're probably getting worse..."

Simple, but relative to pretty much every area of my life when the person said it to me....

Fee11 10-03-2010 06:07 AM

My boyfriend used to play the radiohead song "You Do It to Yourself" when I'd wake up in a crazy panic. I would get so angry and depressed.

When especially hung over I would think "This too shall pass..."... I didn't know if it would pass with my death or just some sleep.

These sobriety quotes are so uplifting. I can't even pick a favorite; thanks for sharing!

meblonde 10-03-2010 09:01 AM

I know we all said this one (usually when we where hung over) I'm never drinking again...

Happier 10-03-2010 09:31 AM

I never put it in a regular verse or phrase but the thought process went something like this:

....you know the path your were on and where it would ultimately lead. Now stick with the change you have made and keep walking in the opposite direction.

The old path had a definite and sad end. The new path has endless possibilities and opportunities.

flutter 10-03-2010 09:41 AM

I remember thinking, often.. "This is killing me.."

Thank goodness it's not anymore!

Zencat 10-03-2010 09:43 AM

I like this one: "You can act your way into right thinking, but you can't think your way into right acting."

julez 10-03-2010 10:35 AM

Wasn't really a quote or verse, just the thought of something bigger than I was, taking over my life against my will.