Notices

Pleeeease - NEED HELP NOW!!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pleeeease - NEED HELP NOW!!!!

I have struggled with depression for at least 20 years of my life. The last 4 - 6 months I think I have become alcoholic. I am drinking somewhere between 1/2 a bottle and a full bottle of straight vodka a day at present. I have a somewhar stressful full time job - I am skipping today.

I am going to see my GP in 2 and a bit hours as I need a new prescription for Venlafaxine. It is 9.48 here in Scotland and as soon as I had made my doctor's appointment (at 8.40am this morning), I took a long, long, drink of vodka (shame).

I need to know what to say to my doctor. I need help. I cannot continue in the way I am going. I am soooo angry with everything and everyone and haaaaate everything right now. So silly.

Pleeeeease, any advice muchly appreciated.
Great site. xxxxx
Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know it's only been half an hour, but I am hopeful that someone will have some words of advice.

On the plus, I have had a hot bath and am (nearly) dressed for my doctor's appointment. I am about to have a lovely cup of strong, hot, coffee.

Please help, if only to say - tell the doctor everything.

I do realise it is the middle of the night for many folks, so sorry about that.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi feelingdown - I also suffer with depression but believe most of mine is alcohol related. Whether yours is alcohol related or not, one thing for certain is that alcohol will not help. It is a depressant and although it feels great while your drinking it, the second it wears off all your problems are still there plus the added bonus of a hangover!!! I am only 12 days sober and already feel so much better and more positive. If you really want sobreity talk to your doctor about detoxing safely. You have to really want it though. You can do this - this site is proof that we can all do it, one day at a time.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your message - it means an awful lot. I know I am paranoid - but, do you think I am a horrible person for being both depressed and alcoholic? I know that is a stupid question, but I am at a bit of loss.

No need to reply super soon - I am going to Asda to buy some stuff.
Thank you again.

PS I WANT to get better, truly I DO. I just don't know how to do it, even though I am a very rational and logical person and have used CBT to a lot of good effect - why is this soooo hard - so silly (for me). x
Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi feelingdown

Many of our members suffer from both alcoholism and depression. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon - you'll find a lot of support here

Why not just be honest open and direct with your doctor about both the alcohol and the depression?

It could be the action you need to start breaking out of the cycle.

Let us know what happens

Welcome!
D
Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hey there feelingdown

Welcome to SR

I think if you are struggling then you need to speak to your doctor and try and get some help from them.
You sound quite determined about looking for help. So take advantage fo your appointment and speak to your doctor.

Good for you for seeking out support.. that can be hard.

Goodluck at your doctors...
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

feelingdown:
It is crucial that you are completely candid with your doctor. Hold nothing back. Right now it is strictly a matter of chemistry, what with your use of prescribed medications plus alcohol. Unless your doctor knows all the facts he or she will not be able to get you back to where your chemistry is not a danger to yourself and where you can deal with your alcoholism. You may require a medically supervised detox.
So the first step is to be completely up front with your doctor. If things settle down then you will need to take a similar courageous and honest approach in dealing with your alcoholism.
Now try to cheer up a bit. You have started on the road back. A road where there will be lots of happiness for you if you persist.
Every good wish to you.

W.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know this isnt what you want to hear right now as I was told the same thing about a hundred times a few days ago when i was feeling low...

Try and stay positive.

That may not seem like much now but if you can it'll make a world of difference.
Also, tell your doctor everything. The sooner you admit to having a problem, the quicker you'll sort it out. I went to the doctors yesturday morning and it helped a lot. He was really kind and understanding and he basically encouraged me to keep up the none drinking process. I was so releived to tell someone outside of my family circle that it did honestly really help.

Don't worry mate. It may seem like a lifetime away but eventually you'l get there.

Chin up!

BSU
Old 10-01-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

THANK YOU everyone. I DO need to stay positive. I bought a new outfit from Asda (mainly to cheer myself up) but I am in tears now (probably because I bought more alcohol that I KNOW I shouldn't drink).

I think I will write a note to my doctor to pass on to her - she is brilliant and I know she will help me. I just feel soooo sad and angry at myself for NEEDING help AGAIN. I wish I had it sorted.

Thank you again - your encouragement has helped a LOT - I know I MUST tell her everything - I'm just scared in case she thinks I truly AM crazy.

xxxxx best wishes to everyone. I will let you know how it goes. x
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

She Won't think your crazy and I;m sure she's heard it all before just tell her everything I'm sure she will help you
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

A quote from my sponsor " don't pick up that first drink. It is the only one you truly have any choice over "
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No-one will think your crazy. If she does.. find a new doctor. This is/can be a very bad problem if not taken seriously.

Also, try and tell family or friends. If they love you, they will understand.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us needed help - and a lot of us had trouble asking for it. We understand
and please...think about dumping that alcohol.

May as well start as you mean to go on

D
Old 10-01-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Feelingdown.
So sorry you are there right now, but it is a start. I definately suffer depression also and funnily am on same med as you. They don't work through the alcohol and could even be dangerous. I am on day 10 today!!!!! Never thought I would get there. Do not take the first drink, say "I will wait until tomorrow" Go to doc and be honest. You will probably feel like drinking even more after because it is extremely emotional. A trigger for me at least.
You should try and take some emergency time off. Make you the priority, the world will survive without you I promise. Take some time off but do it through all the right channels. Protect your job. This will free you up to make a start on sobering up and yes, you are an alcoholic, so what? Just jump that hurdle. If you can have a good friend come over from outside of work or a brother/sister to keep you company. It is good that the weekend is coming up. Get some good movies, loads of chocolate and crisps and crap and milk and tea and coffee. Go for walks and wrap up and get the wind around you.
If there is an AA meeting, go and they don't breathalyse you! They are the kindest people in the world and the only ones who truly understand you. It is hard to resist the urge to drink but think; Drunk, hungover, passed out, unwashed, unavailable, guilt, horrors, amnesia, blackouts, hungry but sick VERSUS nagging feeling you want to drink.
After several attempts to stop, the last line seemed to work for me. I took responsibility to not drink as it is not good to wait for Holy God to come and meet you at the offlicense to stop you and he is busy with the other 6 billion people so you have to work with him.
ps. This applies to any belief and right now my "higher power" as you will hear a lot about is the people in AA and Cadbury!!! The very best to you and think how great you will feel even in a couple of days. Please give yourself this, please!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you again everyone

Frankly, I still felt a fool infront of my doctor, even though I gave her a a hug and said thnk you for being you and wrot her a long letter. I was worried that someone was dying of cancer in the next visit. She has giv en me morfe ADs, diazepam, STRICT NO DRINKING RULES, some B vits and a visit on Tuesday;.

Sorry I know typing is crap but I have snot coming out my nose and I feel soooo soooo sorry for myself - I feel like I am 3 years old again.

Sorry and thank you. I wish I could pull myself together somehow.

Thank you again - please, if you don;t miknd, please help me more. Iw ill only be here fpr another 2 hours as trhen I have to pick my daughter up from school - bless her, she is only 5 years odl - I love her soooo much.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

Depression and alcoholism go together, it seems. For some people clearing the alcohol out of the system and building solid recovery removes the depression entirely. For others, some additional help with the depression is needed, but sobriety usually at least improves the situation.

Be honest with your doctor. I'm sure your health and well-being are her primary concerns. Since you are drinking quite a lot, a medically-supervised detox is probably the safest route to go. Preferably followed by outpatient treatment and/or AA.

You WILL feel better again. Most of us felt pretty desperate and hopeless at the end of our drinking. If we didn't feel that way, we wouldn't have the motivation to make the necessary changes.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sooooo feel like thst. I am sooooo sorry I cannoyt figure out how to quotel \i fell a complet mess. I am norrmally a very good typer.

\I WILL get better, I MUST, I Will, I am sorry to say I am sobbing much, as lot, I feel so sorry to burden you all with myyy sadness. I don't really know where it is from. I am scared I AM SCARING MY DOG ( abeagle); that was not meant o be up upper case. He is scared, I love him. I am making yself chien pie.

I need to be sober in less than 2hours , Can I do itg?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The only way I was able to truly sort my depression out was by stopping drinking. As long as I continued to drink alcohol then I had no chance in getting my depression sorted out.

It's a very vicious cycle and depression and alcoholism go hand in hand. More depressed = drink more, drink more = more depressed.

I had to accept I am an alcoholic before I stood a chance. I went to AA, SR and community mental health team on NHS.

The only way I could get better was by stopping drinking, period. I take it all 'one day at a time'.

The longer it goes on for then the harder it may be to turn it back around too, especially if you have a young daughter to care for.

For as long as I still viewed alcohol as a solution to make me feel better then I stood no chance. However I only reached the stage where I was done with booze when I was beaten and ready to totally and completely surrender. For as long as I tried to view staying sober as a fight then I would lose everytime and resume drinking again. AA really helped me get this stuff clear in my mind. Lots of fellow alcoholics who suffered and still suffer with depression there who are living happy, contented lives, and on SR too.

All The Best
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok Neormakir - help me. Iknoa what you ate sayinf, what should \i do knoe. |Th ekeboard is not working properl, I am eating chiekn pis=e and i need to be ssemi soberin 1 horl I love ou aol. x
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hi feelingdown, and welcome to SR! Great that you met with your doctor and shared your present difficulties. Often letting others know our troubles lightens our loads and lifts our spirits. Sharing is itself a good experience for our well being. As you come to understand your alcoholism, you'll eventually understand your not alone with your struggles. SR has many shares which mirror your own I'm sure.

Sorry for your troubles. Keep with being sober and things will sort themselves out enough for you to clearly understand each day what to do next to keep sober and have a better life. It really is that simple. Having a program of recovery helps many alcoholics as well. Being spiritual as well helps many alcoholics to stay happily sober. Depression itself often becomes more manageable and can have better outcomes without alcohol messing things up.

Have a good day, feelingdown, and bless you and your young child. Best Wishes!

Rob