Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone do the "I'll only drink 3 nights a week ,then it turned to 4 etc ??

Notices

Anyone do the "I'll only drink 3 nights a week ,then it turned to 4 etc ??

Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I am an alcoholic. One drink will turn to fifty.

Took me a looooong time to figure that out. Not messing with it again.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Have you googled moderation management and Audrey Kilshaw (I think that is her name) and had a read?

Frightening, frightening stuff

xx
I always feel the need to comment on MM and Audrey. I am still connected with MM, which, in fact, supports complete and total abstinence for people who are unable to moderate after attempting to do so. Like many people, however, I continued the moderation "experiment" WAYYYY too long--and that was because I wasn't being honest with myself. I was NOT improving--over time, I was getting worse.

Audrey founded MM, and she left the group and joined AA when she found she was unable to moderate long-term. She was a member of AA when she drank and drove and killed two people.

It wasn't MM and it wasn't AA that caused Audrey to drink and drive. It was alcoholism. Relapses occur among members of every recovery program. It's a fact of life. Some people don't recover and some don't recover right away. It could happen to any of us if we don't recover.

This isn't to absolve Audrey of responsibility, and she went to prison for what happened. But her relapse had nothing to do with what program of recovery she was pursuing.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thats the story of my life, scheduling my drinking.
It's all I dwell on on my "days off"
Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Heathen

That's when I really knew I was an alcoholic.. the obsession grew when I wouldn't drink as often. Normal drinkers don't even think that way.

All that obsession lifted in recovery, though.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For years, I drank only on weekends, sometimes not even heavily. Then things shifted, and many weekends were binge drinking nights, then I started drinking one night a week, then 2 nights a week. By the time I was drinking 4-5 nights a week heavily, I knew I was out of control. The only way out was to STOP. Moderation was not possible anymore...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah,I've done that countless times, 'I'll only drink at weekends', 'I'll only drink when I'm out', 'I'll stay off it when I'm working the next day' (I only work part time). Then it was I'll stay off the spirits' etc etc.

I've been saying these things for years now. I know now that I'm incapable of controlling it, so just trying to face facts that I need to quit altogether.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was the same - started out only having drinks on Fri. & Sat. Once I discovered the "hair of the dog" trick, I would drink on Sundays to cure my hangover. Drinking late into the night on Sunday, I needed something on Monday or I'd shake. In the end, I had alcohol in my system round-the-clock, keeping one by my bedside to sip on when I woke up shaking & jittery. Lovely.

That's where it will take us if we let it - if we don't acknowledge that we can't touch the stuff. Sadly, it took me many years to come to that conclusion & I was so determined to make it be fun and manageable again, I almost killed myself in the process.

I'm thankful you all are wiser than me - you're getting help and seeing the light before your life is torn apart.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
September 28th 2010...

Thumbs up Exactly!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
To elaborate a bit, so long as I believed I could have another drink, at some time in the future (this weekend, day after tomorrow, next week, etc.) my mind would not shut up. It was like the kid bouncing up and down in the back seat, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

Once I surrendered, and accepted that I COULD NOT DRINK, not ever, under any and all circumstances it was not an option, I felt a great deal of peace and freedom. My desire to drink was gone. I have not had serious urges to drink for the past two years, since I came to that point of surrender and acceptance.

This was EXACTLY what I was doing (when I wasn't drinking) after I first decided to stop in June, all the way until a few days ago. I told my husband yesterday on our drive home that even if I WASN'T drinking, my mind acted like it was - in fact, when I would go *into* a beer store, I would start feeling fuzzy, and slurry!!! My mind was hepped up on endorphins THINKING about it!! This is the key to my being sober right now - to completely cut loose that thought, that little niggling thought at the back of my mind that says that I 'might' drink again someday. It needs to be squashed. In a BIG way. In a "Monty Python massive foot coming down and obliterating it" kind of way!!!!!

Thank you for that!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences on this ..... much appreciated !!