Notices

Depressed???

Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Soberliner

I got alittle to drunk at a going away party for my manager. I needed to be removed from the bar and got a ride home from someone. The next time i seen him he told me the next time i felt like drinking go for along bike ride until i'm no longer thinking or in the mood for drinking. I never took his advise. Thoughts has to be believed by the soul in order for the thoughts to work. sucks that the soul can be so stubborn. Take care Ya'all...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I was contributing to a thread on the benefits of exercise.
It's pretty clear to me exercise does not cure clinical depression. That's a farcical idea.

Lets not go looking for fights, folks.

D
Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I think some people might be mis-defining true depression. Everyone has blue days, true. Everyone has bad moods sometimes. Depression is different. Depression is due to a chemical imbalance in the brain. It isn't just a matter of getting the endorphins flowing. It's great that exercise works for you and others, and I am certainly not trying to start a fight, but I think it is disingenuous to tell people that if they just get some exercise they will no longer be depressed. It might lift their mood, but true depression is much more than that.
Not to fight with you, but not everyone agrees with your assessment:

A noted professor in the field of psychiatry is publicly challenging some of the myths about depression. Prof. Malcolm Lader, emeritus professor of clinical psychopharmacology, Institute of Psychiatry, London, says that fewer people are subject to depression than currently believed. For the real story on busting myths about depression, however, let's dig deeper.
When it comes to clinical depression, the biggest myth of all is that depression is a disease that you can't do anything about and, therefore, you need prescription drugs to "rebalance your brain chemistry." It's one of the greatest hoaxes of modern medicine, and it's generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues for drug companies. In reality, practically all cases of so-called clinical depression can be completely reversed with three simple things: 1) radical shifts to a healthy diet rich in essential fatty acids like GLA and completely absent any processed foods. 2) Regular physical fitness activites that include both a cardiovascular and strength training component (at least 4 days a week). 3) Regular exposure to natural sunlight, for at least one hour a day, directly on the skin with no sunscreen.

Show me a depressed person, and I'll show you someone who has absolutely not done these three things. In fact, I've never met a person who does these three things and is depressed. Not one. I don't believe there are any. That's because depression is actually just the natural cause-and-effect outcome that results from poor nutritional habits combined with a lack of physical exercise and avoidance of natural sunlight. It's really that simple. You don't need prescription drugs to fight depression, you need to get back to nature.

Oh, I know your doctor has probably told you that depression is an "illness" and you have no control over it. That's the old propaganda line taught to them by the pharmaceutical companies and medical journals. That belief system generates lots of profits for the drug companies. If you fall for it, they've got you trapped in their little mind game. The only way you can take control over your own mental health is to let loose of those beliefs and realize that you were born to be healthy and happy, and all you have to do is return to nature to find it. In nature, you eat wholesome foods, not processed foods like white flour and high fructose corn syrup. In nature, you move your body every day, you don't sit behind a desk for your entire life. In nature, you get sunshine on your skin, you don't hide behind sunscreens loaded with toxic perfumes and cancer-causing chemicals. Just get back to nature and, in a short period of time, you'll feel a whole lot better about life, too. Suddenly, your so-called "clinical depression" will be nothing but a memory.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

how depressed would you be if everyone told you to work out and you feel better then you work out and you don't now you are tired and depressed, and hungry, and because you smell from working out no one wants to hang out with you causing you to be lonley.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

but in my opinion depression is just a part of the ebbs and flows of life

As someone who's had severe depression most of my adult life I must disagree. Serious (clinical) depression is not part of a normal life. Treatment is not always by drugs, but the antidepressants can be of great value - I know, I'm on them for life and perfectly fine and happy with that. It's certainly better than the way I was living before taking them.

Oh, I know your doctor has probably told you that depression is an "illness" and you have no control over it. That's the old propaganda line taught to them by the pharmaceutical companies and medical journals.
I must respectfully disagree. I feel strongly that it IS an illness, as I and my family members have had many dealings with and bouts of depression, and it's not something we can control or just 'turn off'.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talking about what you did to help with your depression is great. Giving a diagnosis for others is against our forum rules. Please refrain from suggesting treatment for depression. Each person needs to consult with their own physician.

Thanks,
MG
Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry, I just wanted to say that working out made me feel better yesterday. I wasn't saying it was a cure all, just that it made ME feel better. Not sure why the topic became such a lightningrod, it wasn't my intention.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

quote; Show me a depressed person, and I'll show you someone who has absolutely not done these three things. In fact, I've never met a person who does these three things and is depressed. Not one. I don't believe there are any. That's because depression is actually just the natural cause-and-effect outcome that results from poor nutritional habits combined with a lack of physical exercise and avoidance of natural sunlight. It's really that simple. You don't need prescription drugs to fight depression, you need to get back to nature. quote.

So I guess if I do these three things - I wont have a problem in the world, will I :rotfxko

Seriously though SC, you probably havent met anyone depressed because they havent told you and you wouldnt suspect it anyway. Alot of people who suffer from depression dont really talk alot about it. Many depressed people still go to the gym, have great diets and are in the sunlight alot. Many depressed people are the strongest role models and seem just fine, its just that they choose to be alone in this.
Just my opinion.
JJ
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I apologize for information I posted regarding clinical depression, as I was researching the topic more this afternoon I came across the info, and I thought it was attributed to Prof. Malcolm Lader, emeritus professor of clinical psychopharmacology, Institute of Psychiatry, London. It was not, it was written by the gentleman below. I don't claim to have any knowledge of clinical depression, and as I stated above I wrote that I had a good workout yesterday and it seemed to help me. From that post I received a reply from an AA person saying that maybe I have a "spiritual Malady", and then more posts regarding how workingout isn't a cure for depression. I wasn't making a statement that it was.

I really wish someone had more info regarding what really constitutes clinical depression. I read all of the symptoms and it sounds like me on a bad day or maybe even a bad stretch of days, but at the same time I wouldn't say that I have clinical depression. That being said it sort of reminds me of alcoholism where you sort of have to be the one who determines whether you have it, and how bad it is. Again, I had no intention of starting a thread regarding whether clinical depression is real or whether it needs to be medicated, just wanted to say that I was feeling a bit down yesterday, so I worked out hard because I hadn't recently, and I felt much better. I was hopefully giving people on this board an idea if they were feeling a little depressed, that is all.

About the author: Mike Adams is a consumer health advocate and award-winning journalist with a passion for teaching people how to improve their health He has authored more than 1,800 articles and dozens of reports, guides and interviews on natural health topics, impacting the lives of millions of readers around the world who are experiencing phenomenal health benefits from reading his articles. Adams is a trusted, independent journalist who receives no money or promotional fees whatsoever to write about other companies' products. In 2010, Adams launched NaturalNews.TV, a natural health video site featuring videos on holistic health and green living. He also launched an online retailer of environmentally-friendly products (BetterLifeGoods.com) and uses a portion of its profits to help fund non-profit endeavors. He's also a noted technology pioneer and founded a software company in 1993 that developed the HTML email newsletter software currently powering the NaturalNews subscriptions. Adams also serves as the executive director of the Consumer Wellness Center, a non-profit consumer protection group, and enjoys outdoor activities, nature photography, Pilates and martial arts training.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mike Adams is a pretty controversial figure LOL.

There are quite a number of well established and reputable tests used by doctors and mental health professionals to assess clinical depression, SC.

There's very little arbitrary or subjective about it at all, IMO.

D
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

i guess i should get off my butt and finally start that P90X routine that my wife bought for me, then. It does NOT look fun OR easy.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

I would agree that almost all medical conditions are over diagnosed due to the fact that half of the top ten companies in America are pharmie companies. However clinical depression is a really debilitating thing. It consumes your entire life and makes every second feel like an hour. I was lucky enough to make it through, but as I said earlier (to paraphrase) - I was able to overcome it without meds. The same can not be said for everyone. Then again if i wasn't such a compulsive drunk, I probably would have been more open to the idea and saved myself a lot of pain and anguish, however had I got my hands on some hardcore anti depressants the odds of me being here today would be a million to one. In fact a lot of psychiatrists will not even take the risk of writing prescriptions to alcoholics because it is such a dangerous issue.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Everyone has different experiences and the great thing with SR is that it is an open community where we can share our collective experiences.

What I will say is that folks should really review what they write before they post. I really found a few posts to go beyond experience and more into judging.

I will use my nice sober manners and refrain from anything else. Maybe some of our members should do the same.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR definitely works best running on experience rather than opinions.

I think this thread has run its course.
Thanks all

D