Notices

Damn, I slipped

Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damn, I slipped

I made it over 6 months and thought I was doing fine. But went on vacation with family and just got caught up in the moment. Not sure why but had one beer on Fri. and two on Sat. Everyone else was drinking and I just slipped. Stupid. The good news is I didn't get drunk, didn't continue to drink, didn't even feel like it. Been back on the wagon 2 days and totally recommitted to sobriety.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not minimizing the fact that I drank. From past relapses I know that's how it starts. That's not going to happen this time. I'm just really bummed that I threw away my hard work and 6 month milestone and I'm starting my count again. Maybe I can say I'm still at six months minus 2 days:rotfxko

Anyway, I really do feel I'm still sober and that was just a silly mistake I won't make again.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can see where it would be easy to get caught up in the "let loose" atmosphere on vacation. I think you're doing wonderfully, though, by stopping the progression of drinking right away.

Do you have any plans for what you'll do differently next time? Can you trace back the emotions that led you to pick up the first beer? Sometimes analyzing everything that happened helps me. I guess my advice is to learn from this slip and just keep moving forward.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did right by nipping it in the bud and being aware enough of how important this is to you. So, keep it up and work hard at it. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back on track, Emmy!

It seems that you learned about one of your triggers, so that's a positive thing.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Emmy I've done the same thing. I'm really proud of your 6 months. Just start again, and remember how this feels on your next vacation!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You worked hard for 6 months so don't ever discredit yourself. You hit a bump....but picked up immediately. Add what you learned from this to your arsenal of sober tools

All the best!! Glad you are back sharing.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've really been trying to analyse why I felt I had to drink. It wasn't that I craved alcohol or "needed" a drink. I'm always around people who drink. My friends drink, my golf buddies drink alot. My family drinks.

This time it was a large family gathering on vacation for a week. Lots of activities, meals, games ...everybody drinking. I think I felt like I just wanted to fit in. Join the fun. Didn't want to be the odd man out.

Of course it didn't turn out that way. I just felt bad that I drank. I didn't have the urge to get drunk. I realized right away it was stupid, and stopped.

So lesson learned. I've beat myself up enough I think. On to better things!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone ever throws away sober time Emmy - you slipped...but you got right back up...I think your 6 months probably played a big part in that

I'm glad you're back on the right road

D
Old 09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know one thing Emmy..You drank far less than I would have. I would have carried on and Binged till I was totally ashamed of letting all the hard work go down the drain. At least you didn't go down that destructive road again and got a grip...Praise yourself for that at least!

If its any consolation I would have been a Mess if it had been me! Well Done for starting over, you know you can do it again! xx
Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think 6 months minus 2 days sobor is perfectly ok to say, especially if it makes you feel better about your commitment to sobriety. You havnt thrown those 6 months away...a blip in recovery. Congrats to you for getting right back at it after your slip!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's what you do from this point on that matters. You got back up and got going. Don't quit and don't give up. It all led to you being in this moment...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It happens. Just thank God you didn't stay out longer than you did. Myself, I can't do that. I'll go out for at least a couple of weeks, or months and just get obliterated. Which is why I don't pickup that first one. Really, that's the main thing that keeps me sober..........I know I'll just feel guilty and remorseful if I pickup. Rehab and twelve step groups have literally ruined my drinking and using. Maybe I've been brain-washed?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kitey View Post
I know one thing Emmy..You drank far less than I would have. I would have carried on and Binged till I was totally ashamed of letting all the hard work go down the drain.
Exactly. Just like me. Even my using friends have come to realize this. Their attitude is like this: "Yeah Squizz is sober now, but hopefully he doesn't go on a binge should be ever pickup." They just seem to think if I moderate, I'll be okay drinking and using. But I think a big part of that is based out of jealousy. Deep down inside, they know I can't drink or use like a gentlemen. Crud, they know they THEMSELVES can't. I think a lot of people who I used to drink and do drugs with are jealous and cynical. Come to think of it.............that's exactly how I thought prior to getting into recovery. LOL.

For instance...........I saw one of my friends who I used to party a lot with on Sunday. And I told him I'd been sober for two months. And you know what his response was? "That must suck." HAHAHAHA. I replied "Well no, not really. It doesn't suck at all."
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

6 months is amazing. O.k you slipped up but the main thing is you've realised what a mistake you've made and have been honest about it and come back to S.R. Just learn from it and go forward.

Gx
Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

If you learned from it, and can move forward in your sobriety, then it was a lesson well learned.

Glad you are here.