Notices

My first sobor weekend

Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first sobor weekend

I just survived my first sobor weekend in a very very long time.

I am really trying to focus on a 'one day at a time' way of thinking. I had a friend come by tonight and she mentioned buying an ice shack this winter and how awesome and fun it would be on Friday nights to go ice fishing and have planty of drinks together.

I laughed it off, I wasnt prepared to get into everything with her and explain my need for sobriety.

But, it really got to me. It made me think crap yeah that would be fun....then good ole alcyholic brain jumped in there and started talking to me "ok well maybe you could just have drinks for that,...or what about your sister in laws bachlorette party next spring?? How are you going to be sobor for that one??"

I recognize its the addiction talking and said to myself : you dont need to worry about the winter or next spring..lets just not drink today!!! Phew!

Im afraid im not going to be as social and fun to be around sobor..im sure many of you have worried or felt this way. Im not sure how to have a good time out without drinks..ive never done it!! I guess I will need to learn.

Thanks for listening
Old 09-26-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carrie

I think its a process, a skill to be learned or re-learned like anything else...as you say staying in today is a good thing to do

Congrats on your sober weekend
D
Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Carrie - I'm going through the same mental gyrations, too. At this juncture One Day At A Time is the best way to hang on!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I worried about those same kind of things initially (it was kinda depressing), but then remember ODAAT and it really helped me, just like it's helping you. Infact, I'm finding out that it's a much, much more sane approach to just about everything. If we do what's in front of us today, we'll most likely be ready when tomorrow gets here!

Keep up the good work!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, that sounds like a perfectly normal start to sobriety to me

But it gets better and better and better and better...! I've got 13 months as of now and I remember exactly those kind of thoughts in the beginning. It's perfectly normal when your brain is still used to alcohol, well actually all of YOU is still used to alcohol. It's goona try to lure you in for some time but just recognise it for what it is, as you already have done! Well done, you seem like a clever person

One day at a time, thats the way to do it.

All the best,

Jazzz
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carrie, Nice work!!! You have the right attitude which is work on today. I found my head spinning in the beginning with all the what ifs but I focused just on the day. While I did that I did tons of reading, came to SR and spied out all the recovery stories, etc. and I worked on making change.

I find with recovery....that its about baby steps. I have gained so much and am learning more and more with each new encounter and experience.

Way to go my friend!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
Im afraid im not going to be as social and fun to be around sobor..im sure many of you have worried or felt this way. Im not sure how to have a good time out without drinks..ive never done it!! I guess I will need to learn.
I'm sure you've had a good time without drinking, it has probably just been a while since you have done so. You don't need to learn how to have fun (look at children, fun comes naturally to them), you just need to unlearn drinking.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Honey, with that kitty picture and caption that reads "You make kitty scared" - how could you NOT be fun! Cracks me up! I wouldn't worry!

Congrats on your sober weekend! That's awesome!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im all sorts of crazy fun..lol I just used to be drunk too.

Im looking forward to learning who I am without the booze, I really am
Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Congrats on making it through your first weekend! How do you feel? You should be proud of yourself!

My mind tried those excuses too..what about our party oct. 23? what about new years eve? what about the first weekend that the hubby starts hunting? I like to get a couple bottles of wine, some movies and rejoice in the peace because he is in bed by 8pm! lol Now I will just do it soberly, with my son and probably some ben n jerrys ice cream! At least I will remember it! haha
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do feel pretty pleased with myself..I may be at the beginning of recovery but im tackling some major milestones.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
Im afraid im not going to be as social and fun to be around sobor..im sure many of you have worried or felt this way.
I sure have. I just don't have much personality when I'm sober. I'm kind of quiet and withdrawn, just watching everything and everybody. A few times I've actually slipped away to a dark corner and played games on my phone. It took me a bit to figure out that I just don't enjoy socializing much.

I am retraining myself, though, to live more in the moment and just focus on whatever pleasure there is to an activity. Sometimes I catch myself almost having fun.

You'll figure out your way. This is early in your sobriety, and you're doing so well. I'm sure you'll do well as you continue to grow in your sobriety.