Notices

do we really say dumb things

Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

do we really say dumb things

When getting ready for church this am my daughter started taking about some of the really dumb stuff I have said when drinking. These are thinks I dont even remember saying. How do you response to that? I just kepted encouraging her to get ready for church. I bet a lot of little things are going to pop up. Oh my goodness I must be clearing. Everyone have a great day and thanks so much for support! FIGHT
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I would look at this as an opportunity to talk to your daughter. Maybe you could talk about how you're working on recovery and you regret things that you said that when you were drinking. Maybe she wants to express her feelings about your past behaviour and that might be helpful to her.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

How old is your daughter, Fight?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If she isn't old enough to understand the effects of alcohol, it's unfortunate that there really isn't any way to get her to understand.

However, if she is old enough to understand, take advantage of her bringing it up and talk with her about alcohol, your drinking, and the effects (and perhaps damages) that it has done in your life. Sometimes this can be exactly what a child needs to develope the resentment for alcohol that will prevent them from becoming an alcoholic in the future...
Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

she justed 7 little to young i think
Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I think it's ok to say that you had a problem and/or you were sick but you are getting help to get better now and she probably won't be hearing things like that as long as you are committed to staying well.

My kids were 2 and 4 when I started recovery and I think it has helped them to point out the differences between the way I acted then and the way I act now when they are 4 and 6. I said and did some things that really scared and confused them when I was drinking and I've talked to them about how that will not happen again as long as I take care of myself.

They know that when I have a problem I can get some help to take care of it and that makes them feel more secure. I hope it will also teach them that when they have problems they can ask for help too.