Notices

day 14.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

day 14.

Well today I am proud to say that I have made it 2 weeks with out 1 single stinking drop of booze. However, today is going to be my first true "test" since sobriety.

One of my best friends ever got married in May, but is having his reception tonight which I know is going to be a huge booze fest. I am going in to this situation with the complete mentality that I will not even have a sip of the "toast" or any of that stuff. I guess I am just a bit afraid I am going to possibly slip up, and skipping this is not an option because a lot of his friends refuse to even go because we all generally hate the woman he married. So I decided to actually be a friend and put my differences aside and go, otherwise I would just have skipped the event. In addition there are going to be a lot of people that I haven't seen since college ended (graduated December 08), and they of course are going to be ready to start pounding them. To me I am a bit scared, but also looking forward to seeing how strong my convictions are.

I guess my pledge is to post on here afterwards, because If i don't that will mean I never made it home (I live 45 minutes from the wedding and will never again operate a vehicle even if I am under the legal limit). Wish me luck folks! and any advice you have for dealing with peer pressure, etc would be strongly appreciated.

I am thinking something along the lines of "No I am not drinking. I have decided that is no longer an option to get where I want to be. Besides aren't you the same people that get offended by me when I am wasted?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It's always good to make a "deal" with yourself that you will leave if it becomes too uncomfortable. You have your car, so you can make an excuse if you have to cut out. For myself, if I entertained even the possibility of "slipping up" it was dangerous.

Do you have any phone numbers of sober friends you can call if you need extra reinforcement? That was always part of my game plan, too, if I had to go somewhere with a lot of booze in early sobriety.

Don't let yourself think, "Oh, it's just this one night, I can start over again tomorrow." That's what keeps the cycle going. And feeding the addiction AT ALL just kicks the cravings into high gear.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well and hope you check in later.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't recommend being around booze fests at all, let alone two weeks in, but I understand you have your reasons.

Lexie has some good ideas - escape plan, phone numbers, even find yourself a sober buddy for the evening....

I wish you luck. Look fwd to yr check in later.

D
Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi milwaulkee - It's probably too late to give advice (since you're most likely already there), but I just wanted to add my support. Congratulations on getting two weeks - that's fantastic!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Well....... the people that said that I should try to stay away from these type of fest were correct. I ended up breaking my streak and am once again at day 1. The hangover isn't bad at all, and to be honest I had a really good time, BUT i know this is always how my cycle starts (i outlined it on the alchoholism thread) but basically in a nut shell

drink once have an ok time because I am being as self aware as possible and pace myself.

the second time i drink I usually get a little worse.

and on the third time I go back to my ridiculous drunken self.

That is why there will be no second time. I turned down 3 invitations to Packer vs Bear parties tonight because I know I need to work even harder on my sobriety now. This isn't justification but I guess the reason I chose to drink last night is that I got caught in the nostalgia. People came from ALL OVER the midwest and I couldn't resist having some cocktails with my old college buddies. In all reality I think I just learned how much harder I need to work to make this sobriety thing stick. Thanks for everyones support. you all have been so nice and supportive and I feel like I have let everyone down (including myself).

ps: firestorm I sadly think you guys are going to beat us tonight
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by milwaukeeguy85 View Post
Well....... the people that said that I should try to stay away from these type of fest were correct. I ended up breaking my streak and am once again at day 1. The hangover isn't bad at all, and to be honest I had a really good time, BUT i know this is always how my cycle starts (i outlined it on the alchoholism thread) but basically in a nut shell

drink once have an ok time because I am being as self aware as possible and pace myself.

the second time i drink I usually get a little worse.

and on the third time I go back to my ridiculous drunken self.

That is why there will be no second time. I turned down 3 invitations to Packer vs Bear parties tonight because I know I need to work even harder on my sobriety now. This isn't justification but I guess the reason I chose to drink last night is that I got caught in the nostalgia. People came from ALL OVER the midwest and I couldn't resist having some cocktails with my old college buddies. In all reality I think I just learned how much harder I need to work to make this sobriety thing stick. Thanks for everyones support. you all have been so nice and supportive and I feel like I have let everyone down (including myself).

ps: firestorm I sadly think you guys are going to beat us tonight
GO BEARS! I grew up in Chicago. ..i hope your prediction is right!

I am glad to hear that although you did drink, you have reflected on it and are growing from it. Don't let it get you down. It is no big deal if you don't ignore it and you learn from it!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You might want to think about how you phrased that, "breaking my streak".

Sobriety is a lifelong decision. We may only live sober a "day at a time," but if I thought in terms of "streaks" (as in, "how long can I keep this going?") I always drank again. It was inevitable when the "streak" ran out.

Just something to think about. Are you really "done" drinking?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

That is more or less ambiguous phrasing on my part. I made the decision to quit drinking 2 weeks ago, and got myself in to a situation I shouldn't have. It is different this time because unlike the others where i felt good about being able to drink and be civil (like I was last night) I realize that what i did last night is no longer acceptable to me. It was a moment of weakness, I gave in, and I have regretted it all day, and I didnt even have a hangover, did nothing to be ashamed of (as far as my actions), etc. I am just mad at myself, but instead of just brushing it aside, I am holding myself 100 percent accountable for my actions last night.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bears vs Greenbay tonight!!

Can't wait for the game to begin, it's gonna be good, and I'll remember it tomorrow too, lol.

Hang in there bro and keep trying. You've just got to.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just another day...

aww..im sorry u ended up drinking! It is so hard to be around drinking. Im still around it. It is hard. I can't escape it here.The first 21 days I stayed away from everyone. I stayed home. I was sooo bored.I even faked sick to avoid going on a boat cuz i knew that would lead to me drinking and being that drunk girl in the water that cant get back in the boat without someone pulling my butt up outta the water and then i wouldnt remember any of it the next day.I've gone a couple weeks then started back up and was just like you. Felt good with the first time drinking..oh I got this..and then like you said..it would get worse and worse and right back to my usual drunken self.

No shame in having to start back at Day 1. I have done day 1 several times. At least your starting again.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey mg85,

Just brush yourself off, make some dip, grab a bag of chips and have your own party during the game, but keep the plug in the jug, if you know what I mean.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

never been much of a game time drinker. It was always my activity to get me thourgh my long and hard hang overs that happened in college. But as far as the game goes I just got back from the store, picked up a 6 pack..... of dr. Pepper, a butterfinger, bbq chips, and a rockstar energy drink for my appointment tomorrow at 7 am with the biggest client I have ever had the chance to sign. The funny thing is that I live closer to Chicago than green bay, so I should be a bear fan based on geography. Anyway, Cutler just got slammed, his haircut is absolutely terrible by the way. too lazy to edit, so I am sure my post is littered with errors.