Notices

Looking for a way out from the booze

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I agree with you Keith on that quote. It is me in a nutshell. I know when I said daily prayers to my higher power, it really did help me. Then I stopped doing that as well. I want to get back to that place and start praying for assistance in my desire and need to stop this roller coaster. I am indeed remorseful when I drink. Yesterday, I was in tears after picking up a pint of whiskey and driving home. I was so disgusted with myself.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sioux - Glad you are here. I want to point out that your posts are better suited in a new post created by you not in someone else's post. All the best.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first week -- and congrats for coming here looking for help.

You will find so many things start to improve when you stop drinking. For me it was my mood, and my ability to laugh. I laugh so much more now.

Take it one day at a time. Each day, simply tell yourself "I am not going to drink today." Try to be in the moment with it -- this helps. One day at a time works wonders, and makes it alot easier (at least for me.)

You are making your whole life better!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siouxsen View Post
However, I refuse to get a sponsor and am not ready yet to "work the program".
I'm sure you've heard this before, but how's that working for you? You're right, there are many who come to AA and feel the same way. I was the same as you, and I had similar results. When I became willing to take the Steps, that entire psychic change occurred, and that was the end of my struggle with booze.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks all, some great advice as always.

Feel like cr*p now, but looking forward to getting back to where I was just a month ago. The change in my life was incredible after quitting before, and it happened in such a short space of time.

I too was suprised that my counsellor didn't tell me to stop, he even gave me a 'drink diary' to log when, where and how much! I don't want to be critical because it may well work for some. The truth is, I had already relapsed a couple of days before my first counselling session so the buck stops with me. I will try and use my last relapse experience to help me succeed this time.

Good luck to everyone else on this road.