SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hey guys (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/209854-hey-guys.html)

Rich47 09-24-2010 11:00 PM

Hey guys

Hi everyone, I saw this site and thought I should post a little about my drinking.

I have known it has been a problem for a while now, but I have finally decided to go to a program in rehab for about 8 weeks.

I'm 27 now but I have been drinking since I was about 18. I only use to drink with friends every now and then, but I would drink quite a bit eg half a bottle or so of whiskey. In 2005 I went to see a friend in Townsville, Australia. We had a lot of fun and spent ALOT of money drinking.

I found that when I got back home, I needed to drink more and have ever since gotten worse and worse. I have done crazy things from crashing my motorbike to face planting to jumping through my bedroom window and having the police look for me.

Just recently, I had a 375ml bottle of spirits then a full bottle of spirits and another one that morning. My mother found my on the ground going blue and had no response as I was way too drunk. I had about 50 standard drinks in less than 20hrs, the police came around because an ambulance wasn't available apparently I was ok and not violent, I'm normally never violent anyways while drinking..

I have hit rock bottom and I wanted to share my experience with you. I know I can recover and have a wonderful life. Anyway thanks for reading.

Richard

Snarf 09-24-2010 11:03 PM

Richard, thanks for joining us, and welcome. This site is full of great people with tons of experience and knowledge to share with you. I've now gone 6 months without a drink, and SR.com has been a tremendous source of support for me. Hang out for a while; I think you'll find you like it here.

Dee74 09-24-2010 11:06 PM

Hi Richard - always good to have another Aussie with us :)

I'm really pleased you're doing something about it and going to rehab...events sounded pretty full on there in your story.

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here too...
Welcome :)

D

Antiderivative 09-24-2010 11:08 PM

Hi Richard,

Welcome aboard. I am happy that you are alive, have recognized that you have a problem, and are taking positive action to remedy it.

CarolD 09-24-2010 11:11 PM

Welcome to our recovery community.....:wavey:

I'm so glad you are heding into a healthy sober future.
It's a fantastic way to live.....:yup:

firestorm090 09-24-2010 11:14 PM

Welcome to SR Richard.

Rich47 09-24-2010 11:22 PM

Thanks guys, I can see that this site is going to be very helpful for me

least 09-25-2010 05:23 AM

Welcome to the family!:)

stephnc 09-25-2010 06:08 AM

Welcome, Rich, I'm glad you're here.

Stephanie

julez 09-25-2010 07:00 AM

Welcome.
I'm glad you are taking health concerns seriously and are ready to make a change.
I also love the positive attitude you have, regarding living a happy life. That will take you far. This site is great, and I hope you use it often!

LexieCat 09-25-2010 07:42 AM

Welcome, Rich,

When are you going to rehab? Glad you've made the decision to choose sobriety--that last bout could have killed you.

coffeenut 09-25-2010 04:33 PM

Glad you are here. Keep reading and posting.

trixieisme 09-25-2010 06:00 PM

Welcome Rich. Keep coming back. It works. :)

Rich47 09-25-2010 09:54 PM

Thanks for the support, I am heading to rehab next week. Apparently it will be for about 8 weeks. Should be back at work in December hopefully.

artsoul 09-25-2010 10:29 PM

Welcome, Rich! My drinking got progressively worse, too, and it's such a relief not to be controlled by it anymore. I'm glad you've decided to take your life back. Hang in there - it gets better! :ghug3

Kmber2010 09-26-2010 12:49 AM

Welcome Rich!! You have tons of support here and so much good info and experiences.

I too dealt with the progressiveness of drinking. It sneaks up on you.

Glad you see it now and are getting support.

Wish you well in rehab and glad you are part of the SR community.

Sobriety is amazing.

All the best!

LexieCat 09-26-2010 06:27 AM

Next week--glad to hear it. Take advantage of those eight glorious weeks to focus on your recovery. They will probably tell you to make an AA meeting the day you get out.

Why not hit a few meetings in the meantime? You can find some groups that you like, pick up a Big Book, and have a leg up when you start rehab.

Good for you--this will be a great gift you are giving yourself.

Zebra1275 09-26-2010 01:48 PM

Welcome!

Rich47 07-18-2017 04:31 AM

Update

So I proud to say I have been sober since the 23rd August 2014.

I tried it all but it was aa that got me sober. I am very great full and hope I live a lifetime of sobriety a day at a time.

Cheers,
Richard

MidnightRider 07-18-2017 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rich47 (Post 6541786)
So I proud to say I have been sober since the 23rd August 2014.

I tried it all but it was aa that got me sober. I am very great full and hope I live a lifetime of sobriety a day at a time.

Cheers,
Richard

Amazing and inspirational to hear.

Congrats and thank you for sharing ..