Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Not going to drink...but feeling angry, and sad, and who know what.

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi everyone,
im needing some support tonight.

like i said in my title, im not going to drink, but am feeling angry all of a sudden.
heres what happened.

keep in mind its all me, has nothing to do with my friend. she didnt set me off, just my own internal feelings did.

she just had a beautiful little boy last month, after of course the nine months not drinking etc she is now breastfeeding and she was asking my sister about if it was okay to breastfeed the day after drinking (of course conerned about it being in the milk etc) because she had a couple glasses of wine this week and just wanted some advice. good for her, she deserves it after nine months LOL

anyways, just hearing her say she had a couple of glasses OMG my anxiety level rised, my heart raced, and i got sad etc (all internally) ........not because she drank, but because i cant..... and its been stewing all night, and its turned into anger. heck, i could probably even cry right now.

im going to stay strong and im trying not to think about never being able to drink again, but sometimes when i hear stuff like that, god i wish i could be able to hang with my friends and just sip wine like they do....i feel like ive lost something.

sigh. so any suggestions on how to deal with these kinda of emotions that come up all of a sudden like that?

ps. no they werent drinking there or in front of me.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vanilla

yeah, I remember from my many attempts it takes a little while to get past those pangs of jealousy and resentment...

Try and remember people with no alcohol problem can have those one or two - and then walk away.

We can't.

It's not fair and we can shout and scream and kick things - but it won;t change it.
It is what it is.

Alcohol has bad consequences for us, and we have to accept that.

With me that acceptance was instant after my last drinking binge but for most of is that acceptance is a process and it takes a while...

just remember what you're doing this for...

and oh? your friend? The general advice, at least in my country, suggests the best outcome is to not drink at all when breast feeding.

D
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

she barely does, shes one of those really cautious, healthy people that thinks of consiquences. LOL

thanks for the reply dee. its just nice to hear that other people felt the same way. jelousy and resentful were definatly what i was feeling.

it has passed now, after i posted that i logged into the chat room and chatted with December15 for a bit and got my mind off myself. im feeling relaxed again..for now. haha
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you feel a little better

D
Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad it passed and it worked out. I found when I first got sober that I also went through a range of emotions.....accepting what I am but also understanding that others are not like me and I am not like them.

I really wish I didn't have this problem but with support....I have accepted it. I know what I become when I drink and looking at it soberly.....is well....quite a bit to take in.

I am right here with you....as are most of us here.. I found building a good sober network of support was important and getting help to discover this new me and learn to embrace an alcohol free life.

All the best and thx for sharing.

Last edited by Kmber2010; 09-24-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: typos per usual