Notices

Getting Through the Tougest Two Days of My Life

Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Through the Tougest Two Days of My Life

Yes, I have been put to the test... major family situation / nightmare stuff.. has thrown a major curved ball in my life... my heart is broken, I am angry, disappointed with what happened, BUT I am still 36 days with out a drink... and am convinced that drinking will not ease the pain.

When I say this has been the worst days of my life, I mean it... and coming from an alcoholic it must be major.

Throughout the past two days wasn't any easier with others drinking around me... and I stayed strong and did not give in.

Love to all of you,
Old 09-23-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's such an empowering feeling to be able to stay sober in difficult times since drinking over problems was such a habit. But no more...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey IWBWI, I am so sorry your have such a bad day. Your right though drinking won't help just make Everything worse. Good for you for knowing that. I know it can be rough sometimes. Hope thing get better.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I went through a very, very scary family episode when I was about 3 months sober. At first I wondered if it was some kind of test. But, as the weeks went by, I realized that it was a gift. If I could stay sober and get through this, I knew that I could get through anything.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It feels so good to get through these challenges and not resort to our old crutch. It's so hard to convince ourselves it never really helped - just made us numb for awhile. The problems are still there when we sober up, and nothing gets resolved. Be proud of yourself for your wise decision to stay clear-headed during a trying time.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Whenever I am having a hard time, I shudder to think how much worse it would be if I poured a drink on top of it (and lit a match....).

Grateful I am actually here to be grateful.

Peace!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you for not drinking when tough times come around. It will make you that much stronger in the future. As you know, even though you are having a terrible time right now, drinking won't improve anything.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IWBWI -- Whatever the situation I will say alittle prayer for you...
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you are still doing ok
Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
oak

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I hope you are still doing ok
Me too.

Family stuff can be so painful. Take good care of yourself.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there and Congrats on another day sober!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

In the beginning I was jealous of those who could still drink - especially when I felt like I "needed a few."

But as time has marched on and with an appreciation of living sober, I actally feel sorry for anyone who drinks their pain away... I know from my own use that it simply made things worse.

You're right about it being a major test and passing on the alcohol will strengthen your foundation
Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind and caring responses. "Things" have mellowed out, but it will still take awhile for everything to get better.

Good thing is... I am not craving any drinks and have not gone back to my depressed thoughts. You see I was diagnosed with severe depression before I started drinking again two years ago. I had quit for 7 years prior.

I so hope the depression, psychosis, anxiety, paranoia, and obsessive compulsive disorder does not return. At this time I am off ALL medication, even sleeping pills... so this is a great thing.

Reducing stress and not drinking in my world is paramount to maintaining a mental illness free life. I know I can do it... I am SO in control of my health, strength, emotions when not drinking and when controlling stressful events.

If I can make it though this last week, I can make it through anything... and I am continuing to always look at the positives in my world. SO, it is all good -- no one lost their life, so it could have been worse.

Love to you all and hope you had or are having a super, spectacular, sober weekend!

it feels so good to feel wonderful and in control of my life.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ill say a prayer for you.