Notices

going on day 4

Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

going on day 4

well today is day 4. Did not sleep well last night and had a alittle headache this morning. I think to day will be tough, but maybe not. I keep putting monday though my head and it makes it easy.

Last night my husband even came home with a case of beer for me didnt have any.

My girlfriend called and wanted to know if it was Happy hour I told her I didnt feel that great not tonight.

What do I do today cause I KNOW she will call?

She has recovered from drug use and now just drinks, but i think she to has a problem. I didnt tell her that I am, trying to quiet. I think it scares her when I talk about it. Any advice will help Thank you all
Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say just be honest. Other wise it will make it harder for you the fight the urge. IMO
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today is day four for me as well. I too didnt sleep very well last night and feel exhausted today with a headache. Still - in agreeance this is much more manageable then Monday. I havent told anyone I am not drinking either which makes it very hard when it keeps getting offered. I have told work colleagues (all drinking tonight) that I am on antibiotics. Say what it takes just do not take that first drink.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

First, get rid of the beer. Get it out of the house, and don't bring in any more alcohol. Why is your husband bringing you beer if he knows you are quitting drinking?

Tell your friend you are not drinking anymore.

And, incidentally, there is no "trying to quit"--you are either quitting or you are only taking a break. I know as long as I kept any thoughts in my mind that I would drink again it was only a matter of time until I did.

Why not find an AA meeting that meets during "Happy Hour"? Usually there are a few scheduled around that time.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job getting through the first three days....it does get easier but you will have an easier time if you get rid of all the alcohol in your house and find a meeting. AA is the ONLY way I have been able to be sober for 67 days....I did it for three or four days on my own and then found a meeting and it was way easier than I thought. No one will expect you to talk if you don't want to. You will get a lot out of just being there and hearing other alcoholics tell their stories.

If people are asking you to go out and drink, you can always choose not to answer the phone. Everything you do is either taking a step toward a drink or a step away from having a drink. Friends who won't understand that you can't drink aren't friends. You'll be surprised how supportive true friends are.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with telling your friend that you no longer 'do' happy hour and that you've quit drinking for good. Maybe she'll stop asking you for happy hour company if she knows you're not doing that any more.

I rarely have people asking me to drink as I did most of my drinking home by myself, but when anyone asks me I just tell them I don't drink anymore and that's that.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I didn't tell anyone right away either, but after a couple weeks I was at a function with some friends I've drank with and they asked me why I wasn't drinking. I just told them matter-of-factly that I felt I had started drinking too much and wanted to get healthy again.

You could always ask your girlfriend to go to a meeting with you! (half-kidding, but it would be cool if she did!).

Otherwise, just tell her you're still not feeling well, which isn't really a lie (get through the weekend and deal with it later). Treat yourself to some good food, TV/movies..... just take it easy for a day or two.

Whatever is best for you is the best thing to do.......
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fighttowin

I had persistent friends too.

Based on my experiences, I think you can either be honest with your friend, and be done with it...or make up a lot of little stories (I'm sick, on antibiotics, health kick whatever) and probably end up having to be honest anyway when the excuses run out.

Whatever you do, try not to leave yourself any 'outs' like I'll see how I feel tomorrow/next week...

I often did that to soften the blow, and then felt guilty saying no the next day or the next week when they rang again... went out fully intending not to drink, just be with my mate - but always drank.

The insanity of those days - I'd rather do anything than what was good for me.

D
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well standing in groc store thinking how much time can I waste just looking at magizines just need to get though tonight thanks for the help
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Opps forgot I have ice cream better run