Notices

Close Call

Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close Call

I just wrote yesterday that things were goin pretty good. I am 2 and a half months sober and yesterday afternoon gave me a scare. I was coming back from my routine of the YMCA for basketball and started having the thoughts, Really came out of nowhere, Thought of drinking and how I could get away with it cause I still have one more day off and do not work till 10 pm the following day. Just to be able to think that way scares the hell out of me after all I have been through. No matter what I do it always comes back it seems.....Luckily it passed and I went home and started getting busy doing things around the house............Also Had a giant drink of coffeee.......Thirst is a killer for me too. ...........I have that thing where ya remember how good that first beer tastes after a good workout and the seemingly euphoria it brings:.................Thank God............Literally..............I was able to shake it and am fine...........The thing I have learned that a nice cup of coffee and a shower almost produces the same euphoric feelin with no consiquences............Just thought I would share. I love this forum cause it really is better than a journal cause ya get feedback.............Have a great sober day..........One Day At A Time

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have to call someone that is an alcoholic to change my state.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice one man. The secret is to not pick up!! Do anything but pickup that first drink!! I did a variety of things when these thoughts struck. I got on SR and got it all out, I went to a meeting and got it all out, I called an AA member and talked on the phone for 40 minutes, or I just ate a milkshake or nailed a can of coke. I learned from it and continued to strive to push forwards positively in my recovery.

The secret is to not pick up. It's only natural to have these thoughts as an alcoholic early in recovery. As you successfully get through these obsessive thoughts/ideas/cravings then they lessen in intensity. It gets to the stage where you just laugh at them and they really are gone before you even register them.

By working my recovery each and every day then these thoughts have continued to diminish as to where I can't recall the last serious one I had. It's quite anxious in early recovery when these thoughts come but all you have to remember is that you don't have to act upon them and just make sure to 'tell on yourself' before you pick up, that's the crucial part.

I am perfectly OK with accepting that I may have some serious drinking thoughts crop up in the future but I am prepared and have my recovery tools firmly in place to make sure that I can work through, if it ever happens at all that is. I just take it all one day at a time and don't try to second guess my mind. Today I am sober and extremely happy about that!

Thanks for your honesty, peace
Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good job on finding things to lessen those destrctive thoughts.