Notices

Almost gave in..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost gave in..

Well todays day 7 and Im glad I've made it this far so far... The last 2days out of no where I was really bummin and just wanted to hide in my room.. And then a few hours ago leaving work this strong urge to drink came along and kept saying oh One 40oz isn't gonna hurt, its no big deal, blah blah blah and Almost stopped at the 3 different liquor stores I passed on my way home,. but then that other small voice in the background kept saying no todays day 7 I've done so well just go home.. I ended up just coming home and having some dinner.. Once I got home I was thinking omg WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?! thinking I could drink! what an insane idea that was! glad thats passed and I can wake up tomorrow not hungover... Still kinda shocked how out of nowhere I was obsessing about getting some beer and thought of every excuse I could to make it sound ok to drink.. I have never had an urge to drink as strong as I did earlier. That really assures me of just how crazy my obsession with alcohol is..
Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Hi- I can so relate. At times, I feel very comfortable with sobriety (day 18). Other times, I come up with so many reasons to drink again. I try to think about what triggered the thoughts and what I can do to counter them. Exercise and focusing on my breathing help a lot for me. You mentioned eating dinner afterwards; I noticed that I'm more likely to get urges when I am hungry or lonely. I assume you have heard the HALT thing (more likely to get urges or relapse when hungry, angry, lonely, tired). Also, I think there's a sticky somewhere on SR that is a list of things to do instead of drinking.

Congratulations on a week sober!!! That is very cool.

Last edited by oak; 09-18-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: wanted to add HALT
Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

that voice can blindside you for sure OCGirly
You did well!

D
Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It is an obsession. Good for you for riding through it!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Desire is not gonna' hurt ya'. Giving in to the desire will.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, I think it shows you that your addict voice knows it's losing the hold it had on you. It's shouting at you to listen to it and pay attention. But, when you get through those moments, you will emerge stronger.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can so relate to those "out of the blue" cravings. I got them quite often during the first couple weeks, but they've slowly gotten fewer and fewer (thank goodness!). I realized it was totally normal. The minute you want to stop doing something (even change a bad habit), your thoughts are going to try to draw you back. Like chocolate cake when you're on a diet. So imagine the power of addiction - yikes.

That's why we need each other and SR and AA I guess! Glad you're hanging in there. Congratulations on your 7 days, too. That's great!!! Treat yourself!