Notices

where to begin?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where to begin?

I have proven to myself and my wife that I can't control my drinking.. This has to END NOW. I have a love hate thing with my drinking, I love it but I hate what I have become... I have developed a bad attitude, and have also become a liar.. I am going to see my doctor, I hope he can help. I think I might need rehab, but that might affect my job. I have never really and truely tried to quit drinking until now. I am really afraid of how my dts will be. Can someone tell me what percentage of people have dts bad enough to have to go to the hospital?
Sorry to ramble on... Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.

We can't give medical advice, and no one can predict what a person's detox will be like. Please talk to your dr and he can advise you.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi ts - I just quit yester day myself so I'm no expert on anything but it would sound logical to me that the severity of withdrawal would be tied in to the severity of the addiction ... so it might be different with someone who was was say drinking 1/2 a bottle of vodka every other day compared to someone who was drinking a full bottle every day.

I'm sure you'll get some awesome feedback here but a doctor is definitely your best bet.

So glad you've made the decision to stop. Yay You! -d
Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do ask your doctor for medical help in getting thru the withdrawals safely and comfortably. And check out the link below for our experiences in quitting. Welcome to SR!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I read all the threads you posted least. Now I am getting more nervous. My Dr. app is on Tuesday. Until then I will be drinking lots of water.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tservice

No need to freak out too much - just listen to your body - don't be afraid to make an immediate appointment with another doctor or go to the ER if you feel worried about anything.

I see elsewhere you're going to AA - I hope the support you'll find there will help too

Welcome to SR
D
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Stick close to SR.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Tservice - so glad you're here and have decided to get sober. You're doing the right thing to see your doctor - getting through the first week takes some thought and TLC, so be patient with yourself as your body begins to heal. Water's good, so are B vitamins and eating some good food.

It takes courage to admit we have a problem so give yourself a pat on the back for that. Alcoholism is progressive and will only continue to rob from you if you don't stop. We're here for you all the way and things WILL get better!!:ghug3
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just one more day until doctor visit YEAH!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You have made a very good decision for yourself. I hope things are going alright and that the doctor will be able to answer questions about alcoholism and withdrawal.
When I relapsed, I chose to go into a dual diagnosis treatment center. It was a very good decision for me, it took some planning and money but in the end it gave me tools, safety from myself and outside influences until had some knowledge and understanding about my disease and a whole lot of individual and group therapy. Not to mention fabulous healthy food, exercise, meditation and yoga to help restore the damage alcohol had done to my body.
This gift of sobriety has been given to you, do not be afraid to accept all it has to offer.
SH
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you tservice... Let us know how the doctor's visit goes. I will be sending good energy your way tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. So much to say in response to a short post!

Congrats on recognizing you need help to stop drinking. That is the first step to recovery.

As for rehab -- it helps some people, others not so much. Only you can make that decision. For me, it certainly was not the answer. AA has been so far. As for your job. .. .i cannot give you legal advice over an internet forum. However, there are protections for alcoholics and addicts. It is worth it to investigate if you think you need to take time off for rehab. some employers even have assistance programs. It would be worth it to talk confidentially with a human resources person (this assumes you are in the US).

You mentioned your wife -- it was clear not only to me, but also to my husband that I could not control my drinking. At least I wasn't controlling it. And now, I don't want to control it, I just don't want to drink. BUT I had to stop for me. Yes, I wanted to be sober for my family -- my husband, kids and stepsons, but I had to quit for me. If you are ready to stop, there is help out there. This forum is a place to start, but in my opinion, it cannot be your only resource. There are, however, many people here who can help you find the help you need.

Keep reaching out.