Notices

There goes the pizza and beer...See ya.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There goes the pizza and beer...See ya.

Last night an old drinking buddy called me up and asked where I'd been lately and can we meet for pizza and beer tonight? We used to do this 2-3 times a month on Friday nite. Funny how I was the one who always seemed to get stuck with the bill, no wonder he's calling me. Well, I told him I'm not drinking now, and he said he'd see me around and we hung up.

Actually this ticked me off at first, because I always thought of him as a good friend, but now I wonder. He wasn't interested in going out without a beer, but that's just the way it is, we were drinking buddies and now I'm not drinking, so life goes on.

Guess I have to find some sober friends, because I love pizza and hate to eat alone, and when I do find some sober friends to join me, the pizza will probably taste much better, and I'll wash it down with a coke.

Nine days today and I'm slowly waking up.

Anybody hungry, lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Or maybe, your neighbor can bring you one that's been folded in half... LOL. (Inside joke for those who didn't follow firestorm when he first came on)

IDK, maybe he is still a good friend, and neither of you are ready for going out for pizza and only one has beer with it...

9 days, awesome... I want you to get this thing Dallas!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to put a more positive spin on it, maybe your friend doesn't wish to drink around you and doesn't know how you feel about him drinking?

did you tell him you could join in the pizza part? or do you not wish to associate at all?

lots of my friends still drink and i just choose to have a different beverage, it makes no difference to them...(i have really good close friends who support me)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Pizza gooda...I ate a ton of pizza last night just here with family and washed it down with d.pepsi. I had more for breakfast. You don't have to go out to pubs and the likes to enjoy the food or the company, you can do it right there in your own home with people that you trust and are helpful in your recovery. This morning I ate my pizza while posting here...better company than any drunk I ever ate pizza with...lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

is there someone you can call if you feel nervous? I go to the events with friends then if I start getting dumb I call my sponser
Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I only like you if you drink more than me, to make me feel better about myself
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

That is a hard reality that I think any of us need to face if we are recovering. It is like there is this group of people that you spent so much time with and built so many relationships with, but when the booze is taken away, it is nothing. It can lead you back to who you were, so you need to cut the dead weight and live for yourself. Good job rejecting his overture!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, those are some fast replies, lol.

I think the pizza was just another excuse to drink, we've always drank together, we met at a bar, and that's been the basis of our friendship all along. I think it scared him when I told him I'm not drinking now, and I know it scared me when I was in the depths of my cups, so to speak. All of my friends are people who drank like me, I isolated from people who didn't drink like I did, and now I have no friends that don't drink. I've met some people in AA, but they're not really friends at this time.

I think I'm going to go to the 5pm meeting and take someone from that meeting for pizza, if I can find someone. I don't mind buying, I'd rather do that than sit here all alone on a Friday night again. I sat alone last week, but was so hungover, and had a huge headache, that I couldn't have went out anyway. Actually, I still have a headache that comes and goes since that last night out, and that bugs me.

Thanks for the support from all of you.

Mark, NO MORE FOLDED PIZZAS, LOL.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, I'm going to have to ask about the folded pizza or where to read the story...sounds to me like it was pretty great...hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fire - Btw, day 14 and yesterday was my first day without a pounding headache for at least part of the day, it is still there but much better...MUCH!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

mama36,

Last year, my next door neighbor asked me if I would take him to San Diego to catch a cruise he was taking, to which I agreed, for the price of a pizza. After his trip, one afternoon, he came over and gave me half a pizza, folded in half and wrapped in clear plastic wrap, lol. Well, I didn't know what to say, I was so dumbfounded, that I told him thanks, went inside my house and chucked it in the trash. Some people, lol.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by milwaukeeguy85 View Post
It is like there is this group of people that you spent so much time with and built so many relationships with, but when the booze is taken away, it is nothing.
I can relate to that one but with Coke, not booze. When I had a gram or two, wow, look at all these friends! Yeee Haww, party! But when I didn't have any blow, "hey where is everyone?" Trying to fit in and be cool. Good thing I figured that one out before I was totally broke.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

A lot of the friendships we have made are just excuses to drink. We enable each other to ignore the reality by justifying it through someone else's behavior. For instance (true story)

I said some terribly hurtful things to a family member of my ex fiancee when I saw her last weekend (friday night). But later that night two of my friends got in to a fist fight, and one of them ended up sleeping with a woman he normally wouldn't have. In MY mind that made what I did ok. It is like groups of abusers band together to find the abuser that has displayed the lowest tact, class, etc, only to move on to the next scapegoat for a problem we all have.

It sounds like you are done condoning his behavior, as am I with my friends. Keep it up fire.

Ps: that is the best avatar I have seen on here. I would put my 2 pitbull doggies up, but I Dont want all the other dog owners puppies getting scared .
Old 09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My husband and I went out
for pizza for the first time
together. Pizza is something
I normally stick in the oven
or it would a delivery.

We sat at the table waiting
and chit chatting about how
it use to be long ago when
we were young and pizza
and beer was the way to go.

A pitcher and pizza split between
friends before heading to a
dance club.....or a date with
a boy friend.

We played our tapes a little
further and laughed. Yep,
we'd drink more than eat
and vividly remember how we
felt with a buzz ......a little
further with the tape and yep,
looped....lol

We were so glad to sit there
with our tea and water remin-
icing that time because it was
nice to walk out remembering
the meal and our first time
eating pizza at a sober time
in our lives with no hang over
or amnesea. Not remembering
that special occassion.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Wow I keep finding relevant things to post today but-

Cottonwood- Totally agree 100 pct. I have also had my flirtations/addiction with cocaine in the past. People tend to act like you are their best friend and will hover around you until the last of it is gone. i hear ya 100 pct.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Sharon and milwaukeeguy, (I'm from Chicago, btw, lol)

One thing nice about eating pizza when you're not drunk, you don't get near as much tomatoe sauce on the front of your shirt, lol.

I can't count how many times I would go out to my car on Saturday morning to get the pizza box out and throw it away, because I forgot it the night before when I was too polluted to think. I'm lucky I didn't get a few hundred dui's while out there doing that stupid stuff and especially lucky that I never hurt anyone while drinking and driving.

I may miss the old crowd, but I can't hang anymore, it costs too much, so I'm trying to hang here in between meetings and sleep. It's not easy, but the past must stay in the past and I must move on.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cottonwood, yep, had a few coke buddies myself over the years, and i was Mr. Cool, till the pile went down, then the crowd went away.

Watched a documentary on a meth addicted 24 yr old lady last night who kept crying after each trick she did to get more meth. That show really disturbed me, and made me hate drugs and alcohol even more. It broke my heart to see her living as a lady of the night to fuel her drug addiction, and it strengthened my resolve to stop this insanity in my life from this point on, so I'll be here alot in the days to come.

I really need and want this sobriety thing in my life.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Do I smell a SOBER football rivalry?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep
Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

well you got nothing to lose man, all the pressure is on us . With that note I have an appointment with a very nice elderly couple and hopefully end my week by helping somebody . I will be on later tonight to see how everyone is doing, AFTER i get back from my meeting.