Notices

When do you begin counting?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question When do you begin counting?

Hi All

When you first decide to quit drinking/using.... Is that when you start counting? Or do you start when you have had your last drink? I have relapsed several times and was wondering if that starts the clock over again.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

When you go your first 24 hour period without drinking, then you have completed one day of sobriety. Some people count, some don't. Some people find it helpful, others find it an annoyance. Not drinking today is really all that matters.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you have pick up again, then you haven't quit yet. You count from the very last drink. Please don't start looking at this in how many days you can accrue. Try to just do it one day at a time and let the days take care of themselves.

Harry
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, my day 1 was the first day I didn't have a drop. So my last day of drinking was November 8th, and my sobriety date is November 9th. Relapsing means you should start over. Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

**Sigh**...... So, I guess I need to do more than accept that I am an alcoholic. This is where I fail... I can go months without drinking and then out of the blue I get an anxiety attack that drives me over the edge. I am also realizing that I need to apply myself more. In the past I have gone to two AA meetings and I didnt feel like I belonged there. Perhaps because I have not truly accepted my condition.

Since going to the AA meetings I have moved 5 times in the last nine months and I am far from my family and friends... I am now in a remote area... no AA groups etc. I have gone through a divorce.... have been unemployed for 10 years because I gave up my career with IRS (after 13 years of service) to stay at home and take care of my twin boys who are with autism.

Now, they are grown and I find that I am lost without the constant schedules (ie, breakfast @ 8am, brush teeth at 850am etc..) that we had to live by...because of their need for "order". I am now realizing that I have to rebuild my life in so many ways.

This site has been my only source of support that I have found....and I thank God for this! Thanks to all of you... I have a chance to begin to rebuild my life again.

I drank last night... I am shaky and my stomach is in knots! It is tempting to go to the store and grab that 18 pack! sigh sigh..... I feel that I am rambling. Look forward to all your comments... Please help me.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey There!

I have a friend whose son is autistic so I have some idea the amount of work, stress, heartache, etc. that goes into that...it sounds like they are on their own now which means you have done a great job with them...congrats!

I'm not in AA, and I stopped counting somewhere after 30 days...I need to pay a little attention because I promised my self I could get a tattoo at 100 days (I've never gotten one before:-).

If you feel like counting go for it and use whatever model feels right for you. It's a big deal to admit you have a problem so if you want to acknowledge that, I think you can count those days, but maybe separate from sober days because I can't see how they could count as sober days:-)

I counted from the day I poured my last bottle of wine down the sink, I had a few drinks that morning, but that was the day I stopped and knew I was stopping for life. Had I suffered a small slip I would not have reset...after all if you are walking 5 blocks to the store and after 2 blocks trip and fall, does that mean you go home and start again? Now if you trip, fall and stay down, that's another kettle of fish IMO:-)

IMO, it's too easy to use counting for competitive purposes which defeats the point. However, I think the first couple of months it gives you some satisfaction that can help when you are pulling yourself out of the pit.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

when did you have your last drink...thats when you stopped drinking...

its like someone asking me when i went to work...i would answer 8am this morning not 20 years ago, not counting the times i came home lol
Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi wduhelpme

I think the key to success is action.

I'm not sure how remote your area is but AA is pretty much everywhere - even if it means a little bit of a drive.

Counselling is also an option - as is speaking with your doctor.

If none of that is readily available to you, you'll find support here 24/7. Many of us know exactly where you find yourself.

The way out starts with doing something different
Can you try for a day one today?

D
Old 09-16-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dee

Thanks for responding.... yes I am shooting for a "day one".... I posted on a thread that is for "the class of September".... I am anxious to see how that goes.

I dont have med insurance....so seeing a Dr right now is out of the question. I have meds still from my last visit from my Dr...so, I am taking what I have left over.

I have had two seizures in the past...so, I am nervous about detox. Thankfully, I still have meds that help control that possibility. I am also alone...which increases my anxiety.... If I have a seizure... I wouldnt realize it for many hours....if I am lucky. It scares the h**l out of me to know that I dont have control over my body.

A few years ago, I quit drinking and I had a seizure nearly 4 weeks after. I had no idea that a detox could last that long...my Dr said you can have a seizure up to 6 weeks after drinking. So, I know how serious detox can be....and for anyone that is wanting to quit cold turkey...please see your Doctor....Be safe!

Take care my friends!
Thanks Dee
Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is your life here, wd - please think about either looking for a free clinic or going to the ER when detoxing.

Not to scare you, but I think it's common sense a past history of seizures makes this even more of an imperative for you.

D
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tried to stop a couple of years ago and went to 2 AA meetings at different locations - like you, at both of them I felt like I didn't fit in. But this time when I decided to quit and I made myself go again, I hit the jackpot and walked into a meeting that had someone in it willing to help me without me even asking for it. Those people are out there in AA so give it another try. This is still my first week - day 3 - and I'm struggling today. I have thought a few times about going out and grabbing that 12 pack. But, knowing that I am meeting my new AA friend tonight at a 7:30 pm meeting really helps. A book she gave me to read also helps - Twenty four hours a day published by Hazelton. It has thoughts and meditations and prayers for each day and they are so relevant. I don't consider myself a "real" religious person but these have a lot of meaning - especially for someone like us who is just getting started. If you do get the book, read Jan. 6th first. You will relate to it.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree with Dee. Please go to an ER. If you are prone to seizures, it is really important to be careful.

It sounds like you have gone through a lot of changes lately, and that can be a good thing. It's a chance to start over. There is always support here at SR, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will also suggest going to an er for detox. My sister had a seizure disorder, do not take seizures lightly! I don't know about withdrawal seizuregs but the anti seizure meds did not protect her from seizures...she still had them.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit drinking a hundred times before I quit drinking!!!