SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Euphoric Surges (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/209196-euphoric-surges.html)

Murray4x5 09-16-2010 07:13 AM

Euphoric Surges

Day 76 :)

Sometimes, out of the blue, I'll get flooded with a feeling of euphoria that just makes me smile. They only last about 30 seconds, but fill me with a sense of "everything is right in the world and doesn't it feel great not to be held in alcohol's icy grip on this beautiful day".

Anybody else get those, or something like them?

Murray

leo21 09-16-2010 07:17 AM

I get those, and had those feelings before my struggles. For me and my faith, I consider it to be God reminding me that I am, indeed, His friend.

SASA 09-16-2010 07:24 AM

I actually got them for the 1st time yesterday. I came home, looked at my ats and relaxed. All of a sudden for the 1st time I felt this huge peace in my mind, that I knew everything will be okay. All of a sudden I let go of things and feelings. It felt great.

Jabbadabutt 09-16-2010 07:31 AM

I have them sometimes too....I tried to explain them away by assuming they were brain cells and synapses repairing themselves after all the damage I had done.

lildawg 09-16-2010 07:32 AM

I've never gotten those. I'm envious. For the record, I also never got the heavily lauded adrenaline rush after exercising, either. The only time I soared was when I was drunk. I think that's what makes me feel frustrated with my sobriety. The endless nothingness stretching out before me is . . . endless.

This is the first time I've ever admitted this out loud. It was sort of freeing. :D

LaFemme 09-16-2010 07:43 AM

Hey Murray...that's great! I have those sometime but had them during my drinking days too...never when drunk though.

Lilfawg..sometimes its mind over matter...maybe try and meditate on the feeling of joy you had when you drank and try and disassociate it from the drink. If the two are linked in your subconscious it might be hard to experience one without the other...but if you can separate the two maybe you can experience joy again...just a thought:-)

lildawg 09-16-2010 07:45 AM

LaFemme, that's a good thought. I am going to try that today.

Ainslie 09-16-2010 07:57 AM

I get those, and more often the longer I am sober. To be honest, coupled with the depression I spontaneously feel, I wonder if it is bipolar. We may not be talking about the same kind of euphoria, I feel like ive had a major rush of adrenaline when in fact it may be something like a song or smell that sparks the rush, and it goes away as fast as it came on! Strange....

NEOMARXIST 09-16-2010 08:18 AM

yer man. I love it, sometimes I will go really euphoric and manic, I love it man and it is a real good natural high. It's to be embraced for me as it's natures way of telling you that you're on the right path. Similar I can have moods where I feel much lower but with my recovery and lack of any mind-altering chemicals messing my brains chemical balance then I can just get on with it and accept that we can;t always be feeling on top of the world.

I got some incredible intense euphoric rushes from drugs and alcohol. But I enjoy living clean and accepting my natural highs and lows. It took me a long time and a lot of recovery work before i could accept my natural high's without yearning to increase them with drink and drugs.

I accept my mind for being my mind now. I love it when I am in 'mad-one' and just buzzing with laughter cracking jokes and coming up with comedy. I love it when I can lose myself in my music and guitar and just smile and feel the natural buzz, without getting sad that i can't change my state of mind to increase the high or state of mind.

It took me a lot of work to reach this stage of acceptance but it's a great feeling.

peace

jamdls 09-16-2010 08:19 AM

I still get them 3 yrs into recovery! I remember when I first stopped drinking people in AA referred to it as "the pink cloud stage" and they said it wouldn't last, well it HAS lasted. Sometimes no matter how bad things get in my life I'll get this euphoric feeling because the thought comes into my mind "at least I'm not still struggling with alcohol" and I'm extremely proud of that fact.

TexasNative 09-16-2010 08:30 AM

Yeah, they strike me in the morning usually. Mornings are such a happy time for me now that I don't wake up thinking screw the world, I'm hungover.

Ainslie 09-16-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST (Post 2710177)

I love it when I am in 'mad-one' and just buzzing with laughter cracking jokes and coming up with comedy. I love it when I can lose myself in my music and guitar and just smile and feel the natural buzz, without getting sad that i can't change my state of mind to increase the high or state of mind.

This is EXACTLY how I feel - even making up jokes in my own head if noones around to listen to them! I only try to convince myself im bipolar when im in depressive mode, but im getting better at exercising my way out of that. Im a hypochondriac too ;)

And TexasNative, I find these moods are most often in the mornings too :)

Fandy 09-16-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jamdls (Post 2710180)
I still get them 3 yrs into recovery! I remember when I first stopped drinking people in AA referred to it as "the pink cloud stage" and they said it wouldn't last, well it HAS lasted. Sometimes no matter how bad things get in my life I'll get this euphoric feeling because the thought comes into my mind "at least I'm not still struggling with alcohol" and I'm extremely proud of that fact.

I find this very inspiring and sometimes feel the same way...I don't think that optimism is a bad thing at all...it's a gift!

ask anyone who has suffered from major depression for an extended time.

I too exercise my way out of "low" times....

life doesn't magically become perfect once you stop drinking, but I do prefer to celebrate my sobriety rather than wring my hands and wonder when the the next time i'm going to screw up.

my problems don't seem 1/2 as monumental when i'm sober because i have a more logical thought process.

alexvt 09-16-2010 09:49 AM

That happens to me all throughout the day.
It is so much better than getting a surge like that when I was drinking only to squash it because of something I said or did while drunk. I was always searching my brain for the things I did wrong. I could always find something. Like a dark cloud hanging over my head wherever I went.
Now there is nothing but pure light. My life isn't perfect but that light is always there.
It is the best feeling.. thanks for sharing.

LaFemme 09-16-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fandy (Post 2710243)
life doesn't magically become perfect once you stop drinking, but I do prefer to celebrate my sobriety rather than wring my hands and wonder when the the next time i'm going to screw up.

my problems don't seem 1/2 as monumental when i'm sober because i have a more logical thought process.

Like my inability to balance a checkbook...I couldn't deal with it when I drank. The problem is still there but now I am able to do something about it, even if it's hard!

I actually drank to quash both the dark moods (drinking made it worse) and the happy moods...alcohol got rid of the peaks and made the valleys deeper. I didn't like the peaks, the feeling was to intense....yes, I am weird:c031:

huntwc 09-16-2010 10:42 AM

Yes..I am getting them more and more. I feel so much more hopeful now that I am not struggling with alcohol. I have done many things over the past few months that I NEVER imagined I could enjoy without wine but I have had fun without it!!!!!. The bonus is that I have been present and focused on the people I am with. I feel healthier and much more in control of my life! I think I finally got "it" ... i.e. life IS better sober!

TenNinetySix 09-16-2010 11:32 AM

I do! I have no idea what causes them, all I know is I enjoy the absolute you-know-what out of them. I actually emailed my couselor at Rehab about them & he said, with a big LOL in the response, "It's called SERENITY." <~~ so whatever they are? I'm not second-guessing 'em, just enjoying! I never had anything like that before... I would have fleeting moments of 'I THINK everything is going to be okay...' but nothing like what I am allowed to experience now. Sometimes I have that feeling for HOURS & even after the euphric part fades I still feel peaceful & calm & confident. Whatever it is... I just say THANK YOU.

Itsmytime 09-16-2010 02:08 PM

I get them as well and absolutely love the feeling. I am on a natural high, I am only at Day 19, but enjoying the Pink Cloud for as long as it will be with me. Maybe this is what living in the moment feels like, no wonder everyone is promoting it these days.

Today I feel like yelling from the rooftops how happy I am to have alcohol out of my life these past 19 days.

Woohoo..

IMT

stanleyhouse 09-16-2010 02:25 PM

I get them a lot, usually when I'm driving. I think it is because I am looking at the world,thinking how beautiful it is. I also talk to God a lot when I'm on the road and I'm always grateful for the ability to drive that given day because I'm sober.
SH