SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm so excited/ i'm going to my first meeting tonight (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/209150-im-so-excited-im-going-my-first-meeting-tonight.html)

wow1323 09-15-2010 12:52 PM

I'm so excited/ i'm going to my first meeting tonight

I will let you all know how it goes. :grouphug:

Kmber2010 09-15-2010 01:07 PM

Wonderful news! Please update us :)

Dee74 09-15-2010 01:18 PM

That's good news wow :)

D

augustwest 09-15-2010 01:44 PM

congratulations, and welcome! i hope it's a good experience for you and am 99.999% sure you're gonna hear some stuff that you can relate to. It works if you work it.

Ghostlight 09-15-2010 03:12 PM

Good for you! Yes, let us know how it goes.

Wishing you the best!

mama36 09-15-2010 03:14 PM

YAY...just you wait and see...you will likely feel like a huge and horrible weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I know I do when I go. Great Job!!

CarolD 09-15-2010 04:29 PM

I'm so pleased for you ....:hug:

Anna 09-15-2010 05:18 PM

I hope it goes well for you!

alexvt 09-15-2010 06:49 PM

Hooray for you wow! Can't wait for you to start feeling better and stronger!! So proud of you! Have a great meeting!!

wow1323 09-16-2010 07:29 AM

So, My first meeting turned out in my head to be a fake. I called an old friend that I went on a couple of dates ago last year; who i knew was a recovering addict for 3 years. He said, "he would take me". When I got to his house he takes me to a hockey game. I said, "what are we doing here?" "I thought we were going to a meeting." "He said your at your meeting." "I said I'm at a hockey game." I felt mind fu**ed. "He said, sometimes it is better to talk with someone 1 on 1 before you go to a group meeting because I might be turned off and leave. He said, "He wanted to know face to face "alone" what was going on with me. I told him , he gave me "the book" to read . specifically page 57. The book had dust on it. I don't even know what to think about all this. Oh, did I mention then he took me for icecream and he told me his story. Which was HARDCORE. I'm still pondering what happened, I think I should probably just go ALONE to a metting. I felt like he might of wasted my time. I was away from my son to go to a meeting. Not a stupid hockey game. Did he do this the right way? Did he trick me just to hang out with me? I'm a lttle confused. What do you guys think? i know his heart was in the right place, but ....

suki44883 09-16-2010 07:35 AM

No, he did not do it the right way and yes he tricked you. Not sure of his motives, but what he did was extremely rude. If he wanted to talk to you about alcoholism and share his own story, he should have just told you that instead of lying and saying he would take you to a meeting.

stephnc 09-16-2010 07:35 AM

Damn, Wow...that's crazy. Sorry you didn't actually get to a meeting. I've never heard of anyone saying it would be better to talk one on one before going to a meeting. I think you're probably better off going by yourself.

least 09-16-2010 07:36 AM

Doesn't sound like the behavior of a 'friend' at all. I'd recommend calling the AA number and asking if a member can take you to your first meeting. I wouldn't rely on this 'friend' anymore.:tapping

skg 09-16-2010 07:42 AM

Poor marks on him, for sure. I don't know his motivation but I do have an alcoholic imagination. Go to recovery on your own, and own your recovery.

Harry01854 09-16-2010 09:29 AM

Being that you are female and obviously being he, he is a male, I would have to put this in the category of 13 Stepping. Knowing that your a newcomer and vulnerable and then he tells you his "story", which is hardcore. I'd suggest you stay away from "him." He does not have your best interest in mind.

If you would feel more comfortable going to a meeting with someone that cares and can introduce you, call your local A.A. They have a list of people who have put their names in to help other people get to meetings. And more than likely they will send a female.

Sorry you ran into this jerk Wow, this is not the way Acoholics Anonymous works. This is not the way to help another alcoholic.

Hope you have better luck going to your next meeting.

Harry

alexvt 09-16-2010 10:04 AM

Weird. They even serve alcohol at hockey games. Def not cool. Go alone next time, make your friends when your there. Sounds like he was trying to take advantage of your fragile state.

wow1323 09-16-2010 10:07 AM

oh my God, I feel like such and idiot. I am pretty angry and now I have his book.

Dee74 09-16-2010 02:00 PM

I'm sorry you had that happen, wow.
Like others have said you're not to blame here, IMO.

Take the advice here and ring the hotline or look up the nearest meetings online.
I'd also recommend looking at Womens meetings :)

D

stephnc 09-16-2010 02:21 PM

Don't beat yourself up...you had no way of knowing what would happen with this guy, and you've not been involved w/AA before so you couldn't have known what to expect. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and get to that first meeting on your own...and once you get there, get some phone numbers and names of other WOMEN in the meeting.

Maybe you could just return Romeo's book to his doorstep or mailbox w/o having to see him again? Keep us posted..

:ghug3

augustwest 09-16-2010 02:52 PM

what he did was not cool.