Notices

random thoughts..

Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb random thoughts..

if i believed Everything i was ever told by some of the people in A.A. and here at SR i Know i would have let anger Overwhelm me and i would have gotten drunk.. long ago.. instead i continue on in my sober journey. saying "i don't Know" more than anything else! i am at peace far more Often than i am upset or angry these days.. i have failed at many things in life and success in (Anything) including Sobriety is a new experience for this (recovering) Alcoholic.. if i disagree with someone these days it's OK.. i may be wrong.. it's happened before..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

it made sense to me anyway..
Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man. Yes, the saying "take what you want and leave the rest behind" really helped me, particularly in the earlier motnhs of sobriety where I still felt much more vulnerable and was totally warey of my own mind.

I tend to find that as part of my recovery then I try to get out as much as possible from what different people post/share. I try to make sure that I try to detach my own ego from how I am viewing it as much as possible. I find it a great exercise to not immediately respond to something I don't agree with and just kick back and let it wash over me as much as possible. Then with a cool head I can evaluate it and see how much I can positively gain from it and how my experience may be able to help others.

It's a daily work in progress for this recovering alcoholic.

Grateful to be sober.

Peace
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
oak

thanks. saying 'i don't know' helped me a lot just now with something that has been bugging me all weekend.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oak View Post
thanks. saying 'i don't know' helped me a lot just now with something that has been bugging me all weekend.
i'm glad it did oak..
Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The "take what you want and leave the rest behind" mindset in recovery has been a sanity saver for me. Having been here at SC for a few years one thing that sticks out the most is: there no one universal way to get and stay sober. The fact is there many, many ways to treat alcoholism. Sure, there are some common practices one can apply universally, yet there many variables that can make a recovery program suited for ones indivual needs.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Stuff Zencat.. i Would Hate to become another "know it all BB Thumper" it just would not work for me.. being the go to guru..