Notices

Emotions & Authentic Power

Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Emotions & Authentic Power

Thiis is written by one of my favourite authors, Gary Zukav. I was really shocked to realize that almost every decision I had made in my life, big and small, had been made out of fear. I think a lot of people in early recovery feel like they are at the whim of their emotions, but it's not so:

Every time you lose control to anger, fear, jealousy and rage, you allow those feelings to have power over you. When you allow yourself to feel those emotions, instead of just "acting out," you can start to recreate authentic power.

Creating Authentic Power

Step One: Whenever you are feeling a painful feeling, stop and become aware of what you are feeling.

Step Two: Remind yourself that the thoughts and feelings you're experiencing are coming from a part of you that's frightened by the thought that you're not good enough.

Step Three: Ask yourself: "Do I want my decisions to be made by a part of me that is frightened?"

Step Four: Ask yourself: "What would I do in this situation if I were compassionate and wise?"

There is learning potential in every decision you make, as well as consequences. You must accept the responsibility for every one of your decisions.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks so much for this Anna

I'm still only realising how much of my decisions were made out of fear or anger etc.
I need to read some Zukav LOL.

D
Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is great and really topical for me right now...thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

This is timely for me. I just posted a thread about the book 'Lit'. The author says the same thing....that fear motivated most of her life. She didn't realize it when she was actively drinking. In sobriety, she was shocked by it.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

Me too!
Fear absolutely has run my life and at my age (53) and 79 days sober ..I am only just becoming aware that FEAR is almost my constant companion!
Fear of disapproval, of being "not good enough",being alone forever,financial insecurity, unemployment, something happening to my children,fear of retribution if I "miss the mark" and say or do the wrong thing..this is to name only a FEW of my relentness fears.:
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

p.s must remind myself to ask myself what am I feeling right now?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anna thank you so much for posting. I am working on this very premise with my counselor right now......handling and feeling emotions. Prior to recovery I was driven by emotion....and I drank to not feel if you will. I now am feeling emotions and quite honestly....I am starting all over again. I learning to accept and believe that feeling is human and part of life. Allowing the emotions to drive our very being is not and that is what I am right now working on.

Thank you!!!