Notices

recovering but vunerable to other addictions

Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recovering but vunerable to other addictions

hi everyone, id like to say thanks to all on this site, its been a good help. im 26 years old and i have been letting alcohol ruin my life for years now. ive lost jobs, friends, fell out with family, and lost the things closest to me for years.
im going out with the girl of my dreams and she has giving me another chance so this is my chance to bet the addiction.

im 31 days sober now and life is so much better, work is better and my relationships are better, only problem is that ive gone very heavy on online roulette, this is prob not the site to talk about that, but is it natural that other addiction pop up when one addiction comes under control

i work hard and long to make small money and i lost about 6 weeks wages gambling in the 4 weeks ive not been drinking.

i love been sober, its a better lifestyle

good luck to other people
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OH, my! losing six weeks worth of money. not good.
Yea, I notice that a lot of people that stop drinking, smoke a lot. I personally am having a hard time stopping to smoke. It's like, I just have to have some kind of vice. If I can't drink, what else can I do?

I'm trying to get into healthy habits though and trying to enjoy days off without a drink.

It's really all about learning how to think in productive ways. One thought can change your whole outlook. The thing is getting to that point.

Good luck, best wishes.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reborn,
Congratulations on 31 days! Glad that you are here. I know it is a great place, with lots of good recovery.

Keep posting, there will be some good advice. Money problems will not make your recovery from drinking easier, so maybe play some games without money involved, or get out of the house, away from the temptation, and take that great gal out for a movie and dinner. you and she are a much better investment to put your money into. the gambling will not give you any returns.

day at a time!
hugs,
chicory
Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm an alcoholic and also an addict. So I treat gambling exactly the same as I treat alcohol and drugs i.e- make sure I stay away from the first hit; I don't gamble in any way, shape or form.

I discovered that with my alcoholism then I have a thinking problem rather than a drinking problem per se. My recovery has meant that I no longer have the need to have an escape into unhealthy vices. I don't need to and I wouldn't wish to. I live in a certain way now and this involves living in the 'light' so to speak. I don't mean this in a religious sense but more a spiruality kind of way. Basically I wouldn't wish to drink, drug or gamble as my recovery means that this escapism is not necessary as I have nothing to escape from as I am comfortable and accepting of myself and my baseline moods.

It's easy to just substitute one unhealthy vice for another without actually tackling the real reasons why you feel it necessary to escape into these vices.

I use AA, SR + much wisdom from elsewhere too.

Peace
Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome to SR!! 6 weeks wages is a lot. I know I couldn't afford to simply "lose" it. You mention that you have the girl of your dreams, and that shes giving you another chance. What would she say if she knew that you were losing the money thats meant for the future she hopes to share with you?
Theres a Gamblers Anonymous hotline that you could call. And honestly substituting one addiction for another isnt true "recovery".
I wish you the best of luck. You are young, and in love, and have a lot going for you!!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on recovery :-)
I'm not an addict, but my ex is. He stopped drinking and took up late night poker on FB and having "affairs friends" on and off line
He also smokes a lot.........unless you really work your steps (program), you'll never figure out where the void is coming from and always need something to quench it.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i have learned that my substance specific chemical dependency was just a symptom of my disease. i suffer from the disease of addiction, which manifests itself in extreme self-centeredness, obsessive thinking, and compulsive behavior. removing the destructive power of alcohol and drugs was essential and required, but my addiction is a shape shifter and appears in a myriad of other ways.

this is why i work a program of recovery so that i can have a personality change and a spiritual awakening that will, and is freeing me from these root causes of my disorder.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

To quote one of my favorite phish songs...

If you can heal the symptoms but not affect the cause, you can't heal the symptoms...