Notices

help

Old 09-11-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

hi everyone, ive been reading this site for a while, it seems pretty cool but now im drunk as and need help, im not in to aa or religious stuff, i dont know what to do, 27 and my life seems to revolve around drinking and im stuck! yuck!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ter

I think the worst thing an alcoholic can do is do nothing.

Drinking was destroying me but I did nothing for a long time - everything other option that wasn't drinking was very scary to consider.

To get out of the 'stuck' cycle, we need to take some action. That's pretty much a given.

Coming here and posting is a good start, but there's a lot of other options for support too...if for whatever reason AA is not your thing, there's a lot of other recovery groups

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

There's also counselling, and there's inpatient or outpatient rehab. Your doctor may also have some suggestions.

You'll find a lot of support here.
I look forward to seeing you around some more

D
Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Breaking the cycle is necessary to recover. It takes a leap of faith to make the first move, but you need to do that. Posting here is a good start. Please continue to read and post.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey ter15, Welcome to SR.
I wish I could go back to my 27 year old self and stop drinking. I didn't stop till I was 39. So good for you for recognizing you have a problem.
Just think of how much you can accomplish at 27 and sober! The possibilities are endless! Good Luck! We are here if you need us.
Keep posting!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks heaps for replying, i appreciate it because at the moment i dont have a lot of people around me that i can talk to without a heap of ******** as the culture i am in at the moment is probably not conducive to sorting myself out, honestly thank you and any encouragement i can get is great
Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your Welcome Ter! Like I said there is always someone here who will reply and listen
Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hope your desperate enough to take that leap Anna talks about, good to see you here.

You got 1000's of people here all listening and teh list of programs Dee posted get on the dog and bone (phone) and talk, its your ass, your life we are talking about not how you feel.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't realise you were an Aussie Ter - there's a few of us around - there's some Aussie links in the link I gave you

D
  # 9 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! It is hard to figure out initially what to do. I am still new too.

I'm not religious but I find AA helpful. But you have to make up your own mind. There are also SMART meetings and Rational Recovery. Look on the internet to see if there are meetings near you.

I also see a counselor which has been very helpful. Of course, you need to find someone who you trust and who is helpful.

I really like this forum too. This past week, I have been too sick to go out much so it has been nice to have an easy way to connect to people in recovery.

Congrats at figuring out that there's a problem when you are young. I stopped initially at 23 and I am so glad that I spent most of my adult life not drinking. (I say I'm new in recovery because I drank this past summer and I'm new here on SR.)
  # 10 (permalink)  

may i add, sometimes i feel so cynical about people and things but when i read some stuff on this site and what you have said already nearly makes me cry and you'd have more luck getting a drink from a fire
Old 09-11-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome home ter
Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

drink from a fire didnt come out right, i live in a kinda small place and know a lot of people and i dont really want to go to aa cause i think heaps of people will give me ****, im not that vain but it is kinda hard, what do you reckon?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Ter:
Boy I wish I could have sorted myself out at age 27! It would have spared me a lot of grief. Now I'm 83 and I have only 22 years or so of sobriety, having spent 40 struggling with alcoholism. I had some religious issues myself in dealing with AA and have attempted to deal with them on my home page under a pseudonym which you can access by clicking on my name in the left hand margin of this post. But even that relatively broadened view of AA may not be comfortable for you. Much depends on the AA groups available in your area and on your response to them. But, as has been suggested, there are alternative non AA programs available (some of which the home page lists) and of course there is this SR website, where you can find lots of friendly comment and support. Good luck and keep in touch!

W.

Last edited by Dee74; 09-11-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you so much everybody, you people are awesome, ill give tomorrow a go and let you know, you have no idea how much i appreciate your help, i can go to bed more optimistic than i have in a while, albeit 9am!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do it Ter!! Get some rest.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

to be fair im still awake and ling to the hollies on youtube they are mint, get on it!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

that was listening not ling, whoops
Old 09-11-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ter - Welcome!! I am relatively new here but now 23 days without a drink. Like you, I wasn't about to even give AA a try and like Oak, I am not religious and it all sounded - well, like what you are thinking I'm sure. BUT - with encouragement here and the thought I couldn't do this alone - you really need to reach out - I braved an AA meeting about 2 weeks ago and although strange and new, it wasn't awful at all. In fact I was welcomed and found my own space and place there. I have since tried different AA meetings in my area (lucky we have lots around here) and each one has it's own style and flavor. Variety is good and finding a home meeting can also be a comfort. No one there tried to take "me" away from "me" or talk religion or preach at me. Quite the opposite.

So I don't want to sound like I am pushing anyting on you either. Guess I am trying to say not to close off any paths to sobriety yet. Keep an open mind. We all are different and need to find what works for us. Coming here is a great start - this is a great place! Then get your first day sober and reach out so you can get help making up a plan - even if it is trying a few things until you find something comfortable for you. People are out there to help. Never ever give-up.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

I'm glad AA is in your small town....just in case you change
your mind.....and want local support and sober friends.
AA has been working for me for years.

Hope you will stay here with us.....many of us are winning
over alcohol.....and not everyone is useing AA.

All my best
Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!