Notices

Back to day 1

Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to day 1

But back this time after a short screw up. I am not feeling horribl
e today thank god so I am working on a new plan. I am recognizing a lot of behavior problems that I need to address. I find that I no longer feel like reaching for a drink during the good times like i used to when I felt I deserved a reward. (some reward!). Instead it is the stress and unexpected events in the last 6 months that have thrown me off and back into drinking.
I have to find new ways to deal with that, a skill never learned in my family. I am rereading Rational Recovery which helped me achieve 8 months sobriety before. There are other books as well on Secular Sobriety which appeals to my rational side. I also joined the SMART website and plan to utilize those tools. They have a forum as well, but I have found this one to be more supportive.
I will not quit!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good for you, Mel. Sorry about the slip, but glad you are buckling down and getting back to work.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I'm sorry about the slip Mel, but I'm so glad you are looking into the reasons, and changing your plan of action. That is certainly something to be proud of!!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry about your slip...please don't beat yourself up about it. You're back here and willing to give it another go and that's nothing short of awesome! Hang in there.

Stephanie
Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, and I'm glad you're not letting negative emotions get in your way right now.

I had no clue how to deal with life when I stopped drinking. I felt like a child learning my way. But, the good thing is, each time you get through one thing that is hard, it makes it easier the next time. You can build on each accomplishment.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anna's right - I found I could learn those skills and learn them pretty quickly.

What I really needed to do tho was to stop thinking of a drink as a quick fix - it's not a solution and it solved nothing...and caused a lot more drama.

I hope the things you've added will help you through Mel...and I hope you'll think about face to face support too. It all helps.

D
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Mel, Day 1 is better than no days. Glad your still here trying.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mel,

Glad to hear you're making progress. Rational Recovery helped me so much! Hang in there and please let us know how it's going.

Love,

Lenina
Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Back Mel!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're not giving up on yourself.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I will never give up. Have to go visit mom in the detox tomorrow and I am nervous. I am not sure we did the right thing or what will happen next. Trying not to let anxiety get the best of me.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can you provide more information about Rational Recovery? One problem I face is that so many of the recovery organizations are religious, and I find religious people very hard to deal with. That and the main strategy is "go have faith in some god" and that one doesn't cut it for me.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Peach (love the name), Rational Recovery is a book written by Jack Trimpey that really appealed to my logical side. He basically views drinking as a choice and views quitting as the cure. Simplistic, but when I removed drinking as an option I had 8 months sober. I still like this approach, but have found that some support is necessary as well.
James Desena has written a book with similar cognitive theories called Overcoming your alcohol, drug and recovery habits.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If you're talking about AA, there's a whole lot more to it than "go have some faith in god." Furthermore "God" as used in AA is not referring necessarily to a diety but to a power greater than yourself. I know plenty of agnostics and atheists in AA, who don't have a problem with the idea of a higher power. It can be whatever you conceive it to be.

I'm not pushing AA for anyone who doesn't want it, but the 12-Step program does save lives. There are a lot of misconceptions by people who have no firsthand knowledge of the program.

I respect anyone's choice of recovery program that works for him or her. Just settin' the record straight.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh, rationalrecovery.org is their website.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexie, I agree. AA is a great program. I also love that there are so many other points of view. I am 100% behind whatever works for you.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and picking up Mel. I too held close to me the belief to never give up. That is what saw me through the countless attempts because I knew that I could get it. It is learning all over again and takes lots of work, commitment and support.

What I have found in sobriety is that I have control over how I live my life and I have control over choosing to drink. Once I have a drink.....I have no control. Drinking is not an option in my life at all and never will be.

Stay the course and keep posting my friend. I found counseling for me to be extremely beneficial. It helped me learn to live life again, to find strength in myself and to create positive ways of living life and creating a healthy lifestyle.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are back on track Mel.

Here is a metaphor... It is like kinda like when I use to break horses (train them to be ridden) and they would buck me off... I would get back on and hold on tighter... and eventually won!!!!!! I showed the horse I was in charge.

Keep going Mel... and you will win!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'll look into those books. A fresh approach is always welcome, especially one that appeals to the logical side.