Notices

Need to clean house - literally!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to clean house - literally!

Has anyone else sobered up, looked around and thought "my God, what a mess".

I have let what were minor house repairs turn into what are now major home repairs. This has been a major source of stress for me, and was one of the reasons I drank - to forget about what a mess it all is.

I am determined to get my house in order - literally! I would get so overwhelmed with it all, but am just grateful to have a roof over my head and I will deal with repairs one step at a time, must like my recovery.

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I think early recovery is a time of change in many ways, and starting to work on your house is a good idea.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally...I let everything slide....I'm off to Home Depot now:-)
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck on your home project(s). I am making a list. Hope I have enough paper......
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I always thought I kept things orderly - but when I started to come out of my coma I saw how neglected certain things were. Bills & paperwork were a mess, too - some stuff with incoherent little notes on it - I only thought I was on top of things. Scary to think we went through life that way. Congratulations on seeing what needs to be done and having a positive attitude about it! You're doing great.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi BetterLIfe, I'm that way with my yard. I find myself pulling weeds with abandon when I'm sober--and enjoing the process--but the yard literally goes to seed when I drink and is ten times harder to get in shape. You'll get back on track!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! It is so appreciated! God bless you all.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Better - I have OCD and I used to have an immaculate household. Guess what, though it is in good condition structurally because my husband takes care of that, I have started really, really cleaning and getting things back to the way I love for them to be. I don't get crazy about it like I used to, before I went from and ocd drinker to a DRUNK and stopped giving a two buck f'ck what went on around me. I am loving it in the evenings when I can look around the house, with candles or dim light and see that everything is getting back in order. It will all come one day at a time, just like our sanity.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi betterlife4me: I can totally relate.

I spent years on the rollercoaster of trying to quit and then drinking again. When I would sober up between binges and take a look at my surroundings, it was always a bizarre scene: it looked like I had to leave the house suddenly, had to drop everything, and rush out the door due to an emergency.

Projects that I had started were left in mid-process. Jobs were left half-done, with tools left at the scene. Elaborate cooking endeavers that I started ambitiously but never finished were growing mold in the fridge. One time I had started to organize my bookshelves, taking dozens of books off the shelves...they lay there on the floor for weeks. It would have taken minutes to sort them and put them back, but I never got it done. I was on a binge.

When I emerged from the binges, it always looked like a scene from a Twilight Zone episode: titled: "Where did she disappear to so suddenly?"

Now I am trying to learn to not bite off more than I can chew. I try not to begin elaborate projects...that was alcoholic thinking: "I can cook a 5 course meal in 1/2 hour, paint a room in two hours"...blah, blah.

Now I try to approach work one step at a time, and keep it simple.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Better Life 4 Me... love your name.

Yes, my house became a disorganized mess... right now I am conducting a cleaning and organizing marathon... and finding it to be fun. With three kids we have accumulated WAY too much stuff, so we are selling stuff, taking things to the shelter, etc. The older kids do help, but they also leave a mess. My 13 year old daughter is like a garbage truck driving around the house with the back door open. LOL

Anyway, good luck with your repairs and getting everything back in order. I think it is quite common to get disorganize and behind in tasks/chores etc. when drinking.

Have a productive and sober weekend!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can anyone tell me how to reply with quote but with only part of a post?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, can someone come over and clean this place when you're done with yours?????

Please!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'll be there in 2 hours...If I am late, start without me...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would love to come to California, but would need to get my passport updated... and that could take 8 weeks. LOL
Old 09-11-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is letting geckos come in and eat the crumbs off the floor considered good housekeeping? They seem to really like the stack of pizza boxes, lol.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LOL Firestorm, we have two geckos and three Bearded Dragon, but the only time they are allowed out of their habitat is when we watch them.

The Bearded Dragons are very friendly and fun... but the geckos are not. How big are your geckos... and do they get lost in your house when you let them run around? That is what I always worry about...
Old 09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oh boy i think you re-wrote some of my first posts back in February/March.....i am back to a fairly decent looking house despite working full time and then some.

i now put my clothes away instead of "dressing out of the dryer"...my sheets are clean and so are the blankets, towels, floors, catbox, toilets and i am working on the drawers of the kitchen...even one clean drawer a week makes me feel better....I bought one of those steamy cleaners that makes life easier...i use the steamy-mop and the portable one because it makes cleaning glass and windows almost too easy (so there is no excuse).

I like it when my home is a clean sober sanctuary.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ItWillBeWorthIt,

The geckos around here range from a couple inches to 10-12 inches. They run wild outside, but I thought if I could get a few to come in and munch all the crumbs up, I wouldn't need to sweep and mop, lol. The only bearded dragon I know is the ole lady down a couple houses who drinks too much sometimes and chews out her hubby, lol. Seriously, she has a mustache and that peach fuzz thing going on. I thought about giving her a palm sander for Christmas, lol.

Fandy, please help a guy out here, the only steam this place sees is when I take a shower, lol.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was giving the bedroom a deep clean today...moved the bed to get all the way underneath and guess what I found...an empty wine bottle...in a way a nice reminder of where I no longer am.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I dusted my tv today, cause it's football season, lol. Funny, I don't need to wear these glasses now, lol.